PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Writer(s) for Young Adult Series [Flat Rate and/or Royalties]

buxfan
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
My literary agent recently suggested that I take my graphic novel concept into the young adult or middle-grade novel markets. It seemss like a great idea with an abundance of potential, so I am looking for one or more writers with experience in the market who would be interested in joining our team with an eye towards helping to craft a series of novels that further expands the world we are creating.

The graphic novel, The Chronic Argonauts, is adapted from and continues the short story of the same name by H.G. Wells. Wells' story is considered to be the first well-developed use of a 'time machine' in science fiction, as it predates his more famous time traveling novel, The Time Machine, by seven years. To find out more about our version, please head to http://www.chronicargonauts.com (http://chronicargo.newbabyproductions.com).

Someone who has written a YA series before, preferrably in the sci-fi or fantasy genres, and has a great love of the works of H.G. Wells would be ideal. Compensation can be discussed. Please contact me at eric@newbabyproductions.com.

Eric Mullarky
New Baby Productions
http://www.newbabyproductions.com (http://www.newbabyproductions.com)

shaldna
05-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Eric, this sounds pretty interesting. But the link the website is showing a 'page not found'

buxfan
05-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Eric, this sounds pretty interesting. But the link the website is showing a 'page not found'
I have fixed it and it should work now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Ria13
05-09-2011, 01:45 AM
the link didn't work for me, either. update: it did work. just not the first time.

I do wonder, though, how you would turn this into a YA when you don't have any young characters in the story. Or would the writer have to figure out how to go about it?

buxfan
05-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I do wonder, though, how you would turn this into a YA when you don't have any young characters in the story. Or would the writer have to figure out how to go about it?
We would work together on the concept. I have a couple of ideas.

buxfan
05-17-2011, 06:48 AM
I am still looking for a writer if anyone is interested.

Char
05-17-2011, 07:27 PM
This sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience writing a YA series.

Good luck with it, though. I'd love to read it when it's finished.

buxfan
05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Good luck with it, though. I'd love to read it when it's finished.
Thanks!

CNmoon
05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
It is an interesting offer but I've no experience in publishing. I haven't read the H.G. Well story either.
If those are not a problem then a couple quesitons:

Who is your publisher?
What would the flat rate/royalties be or is it yet to be decided?

I'm just a fledgling writer but am currently looking for work. If my inexperience isn't a problem then I may consider this(I'd need to research first, the short story and your graphic novel, before anything else).

buxfan
05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Who is your publisher?
What would the flat rate/royalties be or is it yet to be decided?
No publisher yet. Once a writer has been chosen and significant progress has been made in the first nobel has been made, we will work with the agent to create a book proposal package to be submitted to editors and publishers.
Compensation will be negotiated and can include a flat rate and/or royalties. I am a strong believer that one-size-fits-all isn't for everyone and am willing to work towards an arrangement that everyone can appreciate.

Unimportant
05-20-2011, 01:12 AM
May I ask who your literary agent is?

buxfan
05-20-2011, 06:54 AM
May I ask who your literary agent is?
Yes, you may. Feel free to contact me offline.

buxfan
06-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I am still searching for that perfect author to work with.

Someone who has written a YA series before, preferrably in the sci-fi or fantasy genres, and has a great love of the works of H.G. Wells would be ideal. Compensation can be discussed. Please contact me at eric@newbabyproductions.com.

crystaljewels
06-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I have written a YA fantasy series, called The Crystal Locket...two books have been published with Argus Books International, but because they didn't do much marketing, we, me and co-author-ended up canceling our contract for the remaining four. I have also published a stand-alone YA novel, called "Paula's Choice: On the Wings of Faith." I love writing for YA and have three teenagers, if that makes a difference. Please contact me PM and let me know what the series is about and more info.

buxfan
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
After further discussing with my agent today, we have decided to take this project in a different direction. Instead of targeting the young adult or middle grade market, we will now be writing a prose adaptation of our graphic novel for the adult sci-fi novel genre.

Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest. I will create a new post for this revised opportunity for those that may be interested.

regdog
06-15-2011, 02:13 PM
This thread is being locked since the original post is no longer valid.