PDA

View Full Version : How would you query this?

PinkAmy
05-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Memoirs are usually queried the same way fiction is, unless the agent specifically asks for a proposal.
This agency, however, is confusing me.

Home page:
X agency specializes in narrative non-fiction and fiction.
Non-fiction ares of interest include memoir, narrative history, psychology, and religion.

Submission Page:
Fiction: Please send a summary of your novel and the first 25 pages of the manuscript.
Nonfiction: Please send a proposal, including an outline of the book and one or two sample chapters.

My proposal obviously includes the first twenty-five pages, so if I sent as NF, that would be included.

I don't want to appear like I don't know how to query, but I don't know how to query this agent :).
I'd rather query wrong than ask the agent ;).

Thanks for your opinions.

pilot27407
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Doesn’t really matter. Agent is asking samples of writing in both fiction and NF. For one is asking for 25 pages and for the other 1 or 2 chapters. Send the Q and attach sample. As your book’s finished you don’t send proposal but a Q. Synopsis or outline is same thing. Mention the work’s finished. Good luck.

Susan Littlefield
05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Amy,

If I recall correctly, you are querying a memoir? If so, I would query it exactly as defined and instructed at the agency website:

Non-fiction ares of interest include memoir, narrative history, psychology, and religion.

Nonfiction: Please send a proposal, including an outline of the book and one or two sample chapters.

I know the agency you queried has a good reputation (I know which it is. :D), but I'd be leery to send anything out to an agency with a misspelling of "are" right on their home page. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Susan Littlefield
05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Doesn’t really matter. Agent is asking samples of writing in both fiction and NF. For one is asking for 25 pages and for the other 1 or 2 chapters. Send the Q and attach sample. As your book’s finished you don’t send proposal but a Q. Synopsis or outline is same thing. Mention the work’s finished. Good luck.

In most cases, true.. However, that's not what the agent guidelines read. Always follow the agent guidelines.

PinkAmy
05-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd be leery to send anything out to an agency with a misspelling of "are" right on their home page. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I would have never noticed that. I just don't catch typos. (obviously didn't stick out to me :D)

This was on page 1 and the submission instructions were on a different page. What you highlighted wasn't the reason I had a question, I would have still queried like fiction. What got me is that they specialize in fiction and narrative NF.

I (stupidly) queried before I read your response and sent the sample chapters as if I was querying fiction. I added a line that my proposal was available upon request, just so she didn't think I was uninformed about querying.

I don't think it will make a huge difference, because they aren't very clear on the site, so I can't be the only one who has sent one or the other. I'm not going to sweat it. The worst thing that can happen is...not a rejection but NO REPLY :D.

PinkAmy
05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your advice. I ended up sending the first 25 pages. I think my manuscript is stronger than my proposal, and since the sample chapters are at the end of the proposal, I figured I'd send what was strongest. My proposal doesn't suck, but it would lose so much formatting I'd rather send it as an attachment if the agent requests.

As your book’s finished you don’t send proposal but a Q. Synopsis or outline is same thing. Mention the work’s finished. Good luck.

Actually, I don't believe this part is true. The proposal is what the agent uses to sell the book to the publisher. Most agents asked for partials or fulls, but I had a few ask for proposals.
I never mention that my work is finished--I figure that's just stating the obvious as it's a memoir and she would assume I wasn't so clueless :D.

Bufty
05-06-2011, 08:39 PM
The OP shows a misspelling of 'areas' -not 'are'.

Don't know if it's a straight copy/paste from a web site.
;)

Amy,
I know the agency you queried has a good reputation (I know which it is. :D), but I'd be leery to send anything out to an agency with a misspelling of "are" right on their home page. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

PinkAmy
05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
The OP shows a misspelling of 'areas' -not 'are'. Don't know if it's a straight copy/paste.
;)

So I guess everyone knows where I'm querying :D.

Bufty
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Nope.

Jamesaritchie
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Agents do not need to know how to spell. Agents do not need the ability to catch typos. Agents also have no need of perfect grammar skills. These are skills a writer needs, not an agent, and some of the best agents out there are lousy at all three.

Of course, it's also wrong to assume that an agent types her own guidelines, or has anything to do with actually placing content on a website.

You judge an agent by one thing...how many books has she placed with top publishers? It's just this simple. The only talent or skill even the best agent needs is the ability to recognize a great story when she sees it.

PinkAmy
05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
;)
That is one typo that didn't originate from me :D. I prefer to make my own original typos rather than cutting and pasting so they don't come off as cliche. :D

Susan Littlefield
05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
The OP shows a misspelling of 'areas' -not 'are'.

;)

You are so right! It's actually right there at their homepage.

Susan Littlefield
05-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Agents do not need to know how to spell. Agents do not need the ability to catch typos. Agents also have no need of perfect grammar skills. These are skills a writer needs, not an agent, and some of the best agents out there are lousy at all three.

Of course, it's also wrong to assume that an agent types her own guidelines, or has anything to do with actually placing content on a website.

You judge an agent by one thing...how many books has she placed with top publishers? It's just this simple. The only talent or skill even the best agent needs is the ability to recognize a great story when she sees it.

Oh, all right, maybe I was a little picky! :D

Susan Littlefield
05-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Not necessarily. I just know....because I know.

JSSchley
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM

I haven't the foggiest, but I sure wish you luck!

stormie
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Just stopping by to say I wish you the best on your ms. :)

PinkAmy
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks stormie and jss :D

OpheliaRevived
05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, good luck!!