Asian titles: "John Khan" or "Doe Khan"?

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have two questions.

1) let's say you had a John Doe establish his own Khanate. would he go by the title "John Khan" or "Doe Khan"?

2) does the name "Xaolin Khan" sound completely ridiculous in principle? and, if so, could you give me a objective reason for that, other than it sounds like something from a B Movie? (frankly I would consider that a plus rather a minus, but I don't want something completely implausible in real world terms.)

2a) if completely ridiculous, alternatives to Xaolin Khan that would sound roughly similar?

thanks.

Last edited:

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have two questions.

1) let's say you had a John Doe establish his own Khanate. would he go by the title "John Khan" or "Doe Khan"?

Whichevver he wants He is the Khan. For reference, Genghis Khan's name was Temujin, but he was called "Great King". A title is a title.

2) does the name "Xaolin Khan" sound completely ridiculous in principle? and, if so, could you give me a objective reason for that, other than it sounds like something from a B Movie? (frankly I would consider that a plus rather a minus, but I don't want something completely implausible in real world terms.)

That title is as silly as any other title.

2a) if completely ridiculous, alternatives to Xaolin Khan that would sound roughly similar?
thanks.

Kaolin Khan :)

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Whichevver he wants He is the Khan. For reference, Genghis Khan's name was Temujin, but he was called "Great King". A title is a title.

thanks for the information. do you know what a person declaring himself would generally use their personal or surname? (I have used that they wouldn't just make one up, though I suppose they could have.)

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the information. do you know what a person declaring himself would generally use their personal or surname? (I have used that they wouldn't just make one up, though I suppose they could have.)

I have no idea whether one would use his own name, select a new name or what. In history conquerors sometimes just called themselves something new. The idea of each person having the same name for life is relatively new.

If you want your character to be something interesting, then you might have him select a new and different name, Godzilla Khan.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Most select new names, I believe. In China, Emperors chose new names as well as Reign Periods. In Asia, it's most common to have a family name - surname order and I always get so annoyed and confused when novels use Asian names or Asia-based novels and they "Romanize" the name order.

Just a tidbit.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In Asia, it's most common to have a family name - surname order and I always get so annoyed and confused when novels use Asian names or Asia-based novels and they "Romanize" the name order.

yes. that I knew. I didn't know how that worked relative to this particular situation.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If it helps any, the person's title usually comes after the person's name; this is particuluarly true of Chinese names.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
If it helps any, the person's title usually comes after the person's name; this is particuluarly true of Chinese names.

That's certainly correct for Mandarin... I would expect honorifics to come after the name. I wouldn't be called Mister Body in Mandarin, but I would be called Body xiansheng... usually followed immediately by something pithy, like da sha gua.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]