casual quotes in fiction

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I posted a similar question under novels, but no responses, so I'm asking the good folks here.

How creative can you be in attributing copyrighted work in fiction? That is, not using cites and sources, but have the characters site the source. And do you alway need permission from the author? Does anything modern become public domain? Most of the below quotes appear on thousands of web sites. Would these be OK in a work of fiction?

"Didn't Martin Luther King say "'A lie cannot live?'"

"Wasn't it Eistein who said 'Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love?''

Wasn't it Bill Clinton that said ""It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is.""

Suppose one of your characters starts reading a Wikipedia article out loud for a few sentence, but credits Wikipedia in the same sentence? "Well, Wikipedia says to boil water you need to start a fire . . ."

Using casual quotes from our daily lives can spice up a novel, but if you need to get permission for every single one it would be a big pain.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If it's a direct quote and you wrote who said it, and it's fiction, I don't think you need permission. I may be wrong, but I think quotations would be fair use...

p.s. your punctuation is wrong, however:

"Didn't Martin Luther King say "'A lie cannot live?'"

Should be: "Didn't Martin Luther King say, 'A lie cannot live'?"

"Wasn't it Eistein who said 'Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love?''

"Wasn't it Einstein who said, 'Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love'?"

Wasn't it Bill Clinton that said ""It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is.""

Wasn't it Bill Clinton who said, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The normal use is not to cite in fiction. You don't even have to use internal quote marks, if you don't want to.

"Mark twain said that heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would get in."

Or you can use internal quotes, or you can italicize, but however you go about it, all the attribution you need is a character, or a narrator, letting the reader know who you're quoting.

Have you ever watched Criminal Minds? Not a week goes by that they don't quote someone this way.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although certainly no legal authority, I believe your quoting is good for fiction. I've seen many like them in books by reputable publishers. I've seen James's indirect method, also.

I agree with Maestro's suggestions for improving the mechanics of the sample quotes.