Book inspired by music.Good or Not Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureluis

Registered
Reaction score
I love a ton of books and some of the authors I like say this song or this band inspired me, is that CHEESY?!

KingofNowhere

Director of Human Resources
Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference between being inspired by music and writing a song-fic. Music is a great way to kick off a story. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
King makes an excellent point. If Ride of the Valkyries, or Barber's Adagio for Strings, inspires you to write a work of the classic hero, or of incredible sorrow, go for it. But if "Harper Valley PTA" makes you want to write a story about a woman who stands up to the judgmental PTA members, don't do it.

Maryn, who finds music way cool but not fiction-nudging, damn it

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What's cheesy about it? A good book is a good book regardless of what inspired it.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not cheesy at all. Music is one place I look for inspiration.

gan_naire

Without Shame
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to stalk me, make it interesting a
I sure as hell hope not. I have numerous ideas and quite a few outlines just waiting to start turning into a novel. Out of all of them, I'd say only two came from my mind without any help. When I listen to music, it's for many different reasons. One of them is to clear my head of all the BS and from that, usually a good story idea comes in my head. In fact, the title to each of my books is named either using the song title or lyrics from the song that was playing when the book idea came into my head.

I do agree that as long as it's not fan-fic you're trying to sell, all should be good. Not dissing fan-fic, to me writing is writing, no matter what it is, and having fun with fan-fic might help jump start your creative mind and get you writing more seriously. Never know.

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
The last two things I've written/am writing have theme albums. That's not to say that in reading the story a reader would ever make the connection, but I listen to them often enough during my writing to remind me of my initial inspiration.

Music evoke emotions. Stories evoke emotions. No reason that one can't inspire the other, and if there's something particular that moves you in song, no reason you can't own those feelings and put them in a story. Some of my favorite musicians tell stories with their songs and albums.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not an issue. The only important thing is whether or not the book is good.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
At the back of the novel The Hour I First Believed (Wally Lamb), he included an Author's Playlist. The list is quite a long one and is broken down by section of the novel. It's quite interesting to look through.

I think inspiration comes from the world around us and for many people, it's a very musical world. :)

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad thing at all.

I do think that you have to be careful, though. It's very easy to end up writing something almost completely emotionless, because you've relied on the music to trigger the emotions you wanted. But your readers won't be listening to the music.

Me? Written something like that and had to start again when my beta-reader said "um, this doesn't work at all"? What makes you think that? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.