PDA

View Full Version : New Fangled Speeding Tickets -- am I about to get one in the mail?

Plot Device
05-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I haven't gotten any kind of ticket at all in many years, and I always drive the speed limit now anyhow. But since my former days of reckess youth, technology has gotten quite sophisticated. I have ignored the new developments because they don't effect me. (Until now.)

This past wekend, I spent 4 days in Vermont doing research here and there in the town clerks offices of little hamlets in and around the mountains. And then I had to make it back to the southern border of Massachusetts by 5:00 on Tuesday night for a night class I am taking. I was assured that if I took X-road to Y-road to Z-interstate, I only needed 3 hours total to get to class down in Springfield, Massachusetts. So I left the last of my town clerks' offices at 1:30, giving me a cushion of three-and-a-half hourse before class started.

By the time I made it to the interstate it was already 3:30 PM, I was still in White River Junction, and so I knew I still had well over 2 hours of driving ahead of me. So I started speeding. I was constantly doing 70, and on occassion I was doing 80.

I made it to class 35 minutes late. (No biggie, because we had a pizza party underway as the second-to-the-last class of the semester where we said farewell to the professors. Yet, if I hadn't been speeding, I might not have walked in the door until 6:30.)

During my crazy speedig session, when I had already made it into Massachusetts, there was one stretch of highway where a state trooper was standing on the right shoulder next to his car, and he had a "camera radar gun" aimed at all of us (I was in the left lane in a huge cluster of cars all around, and we were all doing 75-ish).

Did he "get" me?

Will I be getting a ticket in the mail?

How soon can I expect such a ticket?

How much will the fine be?

Plot Device
05-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe if I change the thread title?

Maryn
05-05-2011, 08:48 PM
It's entirely possible. And entirely deserved.

The tickets usually come within a week, and the amount of the fine is based in part on how far over the speed limit he clocked you.

I have no patience with people who speed because they're late, or because they received misinformation about how long a drive would take. That's other people's lives you're messing with. Knock it off.

Maryn, hoping it comes soon and is hefty

Plot Device
05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry, Maryn.

I have no intention of doing it again.

But you did give me the info I needed -- a week. If not in a week, perhaps it won't come at all. There were so many of us clustered together that he might not have gotten a good shot of my plate, and he didn't seem to be pointing it at me for the 12 or 15 seconds I was in his range.

And I don't begrudge you the amount of disgust you are levying at me.

shakeysix
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
i live in a town with a population just under 1,200. we are the county seat and there is not a single stop light in the entire town. our traffic cop is barny fife's not so bright nephew. since he polices the whole county and there are more cows than people in the county, we usually go a few miles over the speed limit. the roads are straight and empty. unless a deer or an armadillo steps onto highway fifty accidents are as rare as tickets. BUT woe to the speeder if junior fife is on stakeout! he loves that siren and those lights. he once chased me through town and down the highway lights blinking and siren screaming--all because i was going 38 on a 30! i hope he never gets his hands on one of those camera guns! the whole county will be in the slammer!--s6

Maryn
05-06-2011, 12:26 AM
PD, I didn't mean to explode on you, but a family member was involved in an accident with a fatality. I'll never feel the same about speeders again. It was a life-altering experience for us all.

Better to be so late you miss an important event than to risk not only your own life but the lives of others, right? Be safe, even if it means being late.

Maryn, who aged plenty

Devil Ledbetter
05-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't know. Where I've seen cops standing outside of a vehicle with a radar gun, there is usually another squad car up the road awaiting instructions on which vehicle to pull over.

tjwriter
05-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't know. Where I've seen cops standing outside of a vehicle with a radar gun, there is usually another squad car up the road awaiting instructions on which vehicle to pull over.
What Devil said. Usually there's one guy clocking and another guy (or gal!) to pull over offenders they have deemed offensive enough to get a ticket.

Paperback Writer
05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
You will not get a ticket, he has to stop you and get your information. The only way you'll get a ticket in the mail is if there is a speed camera. If you were riding in a group then he would have to ignore you unless you were infront.

brainstorm77
05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
It depends. They clock you here when there is road construction. There have been lots of problems with people not slowing even for that.

My tolerance for speedy drivers is very low. Especially the ones who stick up in your ass when driving, trying to bully you along to go faster.

Devil Ledbetter
05-06-2011, 02:32 AM
It depends. They clock you here when there is road construction. There have been lots of problems with people not slowing even for that.
Always slow down for this.

I find I can make excellent time using cruise control at the speed limit. It also takes my worries off of getting pulled over. I've discovered our Garmin Nuvi always posts the speed limit. This came in very handy on our drive down to Savannah when the speed limits were changing frequently and traffic was heavy. You don't always notice a change.

Victoria
05-06-2011, 05:05 AM
My tolerance for speedy drivers is very low. Especially the ones who stick up in your ass when driving, trying to bully you along to go faster.

We had a bus get rear ended by a semi on I70 last year. Smashed the whole back half of the bus. Luckily, there were no students on board, but the driver was pretty messed up. The trucker's GPS system had him going almost eighty in a seventy, and our bus had been going sixty-five, the required five below limit. I don't know what this guy was doing, other than speeding, but he's damn lucky he only lost his job. He could have killed someone.