"Get some rest," a rant

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So I've shared before that I'm not sleeping. It's a combination of the sick, elderly dog and some other Life Stuff. I'm lucky to net a couple of hours a night.

Practically everyone I see these days has the same reaction. They look at me, the bags beneath my eyes, the Red Bull clutched in each hand, and say "Wow. You should get some rest."

I smile sweetly and say, with teeth clenched, "I sure am trying!" Inside I'm thinking No, really, Sherlock? What a great idea! I hadn't thought of that, night after night after night, soothing the poor dog, getting kids back to sleep after a nightmare, etc.

Almost as bad is, "Take a nap today!" Oh! Again, why didn't I think of that? I'll do that in my spare time! And ignoring that the same nighttime problems are still there during the day.

I'm tired. I'm exhausted. For pity's sake, say something nice to me. "Look at you, you managed to smear some makeup on!" Anything! Just quit telling me to get some rest.

Ah. I feel better.

Who's going to be the first to say it?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get some rest, Miss Cranky-Pants! :Hug2:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Look at you! You managed to write multiple coherent sentences amidst your exhaustion! Go, jude! :hooray:

Reaction score
SO with you on that.

Just as frustrating is the "Go to bed earlier, then!" Oh wow, gee, I didn't think of that. I'm tired? Go to bed? Well thanks for that, Captain Obvious. I never once thought of going to bed to lie awake for hours, being all insomniacky. :rolleyes:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

I always feel ten times better after I rant to you all. Thanks.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heck,

I haven't slept straight through the night in over 8 years... :flag:

...Menopause is a female dog!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
These days, I sleep only with the help of pharmaceuticals. Legal ones, but without them, I'd be staring at the ceiling until dawn. Seriously, the stress level in my little slice of reality has been in the red zone since last summer.

You definitely have my sympathies. Now, go get some rest. ;)

Reaction score
I'll tell you what else boils my piss. "Why aren't you sleeping?"

I DON'T KNOW. IF I DID I WOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING PUT IT RIGHT.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
C'mon, we all know that we CHOOSE not to sleep. That's the only logical reason, right? /sarcasm

One of the worst feelings in the world is to be so effing tired you can't think straight, only to find that your brain just won't shut off long enough for you to actually fall asleep. I just lay there (lie there??) and my mind races at 1000 mph. When someone says to just go to bed earlier, I so want to punch them in the face. Why go to bed earlier? So I can lay there even longer wishing someone would hit me over the head with something???

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I totally understand. It's almost as bad as when someone tells you, "You look tired today." That really means you look like shit. Thanks.

ETA: I got that comment yesterday thanks to my allergies puffing up my eyes.

Reaction score
And "Oh, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow," earns a junkpunch in my world.

It's like saying to a blind person, "All these colours, this sunset, all these faces and trees and wow, such beauty that I can see perfectly." Rub it in why dontcha?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
And "Oh, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow," earns a junkpunch in my world.

It's like saying to a blind person, "All these colours, this sunset, all these faces and trees and wow, such beauty that I can see perfectly." Rub it in why dontcha?

Yes! My stupid husband can fall asleep standing up. I swear. Not me. It pisses me off when he's laying beside me sound asleep for hours before I drift off. Ugh.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: hugs to you and your poochie

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't sleep much, either. It's just the way my life is right now. I've given up trying to find a reason--there are so many. I've given up trying to find a solution--sleep will come when it comes. And I've given up being upset by what people say. I try to laugh it off. If there's one thing that's worse than getting little sleep, it's having a hair trigger temper about it. The anger never reaches the people who stimulate it, it just boils in me when I'm already stressed. I don't need that positive feedback loop. And it's not other people's fault. It's not a fault at all. It's just me right now. If I go around being unhappy about it, I'm going around being unhappy. I'd rather find reasons for happiness, and I do.

To the OP--sorry to hear about your dog.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see any dark circles under your eyes- you look mahvolous from here ;)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Only the coolest people go without sleep. Just lift your chin (the bags aren't as visible that way anyway), straighten your shoulders and breeze by everyone in the office, secure in the knowledge that THEY will never be as cool as YOU.

(and then consider consulting your doctor. prolonged episodes of severe insomnia are not good for you)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's too funny b/c I remember discovering the "lift your head" thing when I was in middle school. I was standing in the mirror and lifted my chin and realized the circles were gone...unless you're taller than me which doesn't take much. LOL

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a fellow insomniac, I sympathize.

I know people think they're being sympathetic when they say "You look tired," but the truth is, if they cared, they'd offer to help.

Why don't people understand that it's rude to make any comment on appearances unless it is a compliment. Period.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to die with just part of me standing up.

:roll:

Only the coolest people go without sleep. Just lift your chin (the bags aren't as visible that way anyway), straighten your shoulders and breeze by everyone in the office, secure in the knowledge that THEY will never be as cool as YOU.

(and then consider consulting your doctor. prolonged episodes of severe insomnia are not good for you)

I think I'll be okay once the thing with the dog is over. :( I can deal with some minor insomnia, it's the constant pressure of the dog crying and trying to get comfortable. He's only really happy if I'm lying on the hard floor with him. (Well, he has a soft bed with lots of pillows. I get the hard floor.) It's not a permanent situation, which is both good and bad news.

So I went into my staff meeting today clutching the Red Bull. My pastor took one look at me and said, very gently, "Still? I'm so sorry." Such gentle words. I almost cried. Especially when he didn't say "You should get some rest!"

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't people understand that it's rude to make any comment on appearances unless it is a compliment. Period.

Oh yeah. My husband. He's the worst "You should take a nap!" offender. He knows what my daytime schedule is like. He should know better and if he keeps it up I'm going to be very, very unhappy with him. :e2teeth: And he is more than welcome to help... ::crickets::

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sympathize completely, having just gone through the same thing. :Hug2:

I miss my old furball so badly.