Non metal knife blades

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character that wants to make a knife to kill his enemy. His enemy is impervious to metal, but any other material could definitely work. Also, there can be no metal used in the construction of the knife even if it isn't the blade.

What are some good materials for this sort of thing? It would be all right if was a one use tool, as he intends to finish the job in one go. The character is an avid boar hunter, so he'd have a pretty good stockpile of trophy tusks. Would a sharpened tusk bound to a handle make an adequate stabbing tool? Or would it make more sense to use a length of weight bearing bone?

Aside from bone, all I can think of is glass or obsidian.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I would think a sharpened tusk would make quite an effective weapon.

Besides tusks and bone, there is stone and wood. A piece of pointed oak or hickory would make a nice spear.

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Why not bone? I cut myself on a sharp piece of bone the other day and it would have made a very good weapon if necessary! No handle required either!

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Bone sounds good to me. Or ceramic. Maybe a large sharpened tooth - enamel is the hardest substance in a mammal's body. That'd work.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Flint blades worked well for our ancestors for thousands of years.

Modern ceramic knives are popular with some chefs and are used by bomb disposal squads.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character that wants to make a knife to kill his enemy. His enemy is impervious to metal, but any other material could definitely work. Also, there can be no metal used in the construction of the knife even if it isn't the blade.

What are some good materials for this sort of thing? It would be all right if was a one use tool, as he intends to finish the job in one go. The character is an avid boar hunter, so he'd have a pretty good stockpile of trophy tusks. Would a sharpened tusk bound to a handle make an adequate stabbing tool? Or would it make more sense to use a length of weight bearing bone?

Aside from bone, all I can think of is glass or obsidian.

Apart from what has been said so far, there is horn. Deer antlers make great stabbing weapons if you sharpen the ends.

Or if you don't like stabbing you can go the really bloody way with one of these:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5678309793_6584c14f34_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P0VRfEfiCo&playnext=1&list=PL5C04F18DA5FC17F2

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ceramic bladed knives have been out for a while now, thanks to decent edge retention. They're strong enough to do the job, too.
Most will have metal in the handle, or in the case of a folder, the liner lock (or fixing screws). There's no reason someone who hunts a lot couldn't have a fancy all-ceramic fixed blade hunting knife, though. Maybe that he doesn't use it much and bought because it's something fancy. :)

Or a tusk'll work. :)

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
The 'Blackie Collins' CIA letter opener has now been banned from airports, in fact it is a felony. It is totally constructed from nylon polymer and should fit the bill were you buying one.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
Ceramic bladed knives have been out for a while now, thanks to decent edge retention. They're strong enough to do the job, too.

All I've seen have been designed to work as cutting tools and so have far to thin blades for combat use where the target will twist during the cut. Ceramic blades can't handle lateral stress anymore than glass can. It you make the ceramic thick* enough, then yes, but I don't think they sell any like that**.

Second, and not well known is that the material the knives are made from is a type of nonferrous metal, namely oxide of zirconium. So, against metal-invulnerable enemy, not good.

* My guess is that you would have to have a knife blade 7-9mm thick, no longer than a handwidth, and half a handwidth wide. (Of course, not having seen a fighting ceramic blade, I might be talking out of my rectum on this one.)

** According to the shop justflint.com flintknives have to be one fifth as thick as they are wide.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Second, and not well known is that the material the knives are made from is a type of nonferrous metal, namely oxide of zirconium. So, against metal-invulnerable enemy, not good.

Zirconium oxide is no longer a metal by virtue of it being an oxide. It is a insulator, non-ductile, non-malleable. A non-metal by any definition

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto on the ceramic knives. I've heard they're better (stronger and sharper) than metal knives.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Glass

Yeah, I know, but Venetian (?? I think??) glass daggers - had a nice feature too. If you twist as you stab, the blade snaps off in the body. The body/wound then kind of sucks it in.

I've read about them in a couple of books, but I can't find much on google sadly.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
You can buy plastic (nylon) knives for use in nonstick cake tins.

They're not exactly sharp, but they are fairly structurally strong and the right shape. I'm thinking that they might make a good backbone for a sharp glass edge. if you need easily homemade.

Does it have to be a knife? I'm thinking of something like a carbon fibre arrow.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
All I've seen have been designed to work as cutting tools and so have far to thin blades for combat use where the target will twist during the cut. Ceramic blades can't handle lateral stress anymore than glass can. It you make the ceramic thick* enough, then yes, but I don't think they sell any like that**.

* My guess is that you would have to have a knife blade 7-9mm thick, no longer than a handwidth, and half a handwidth wide. (Of course, not having seen a fighting ceramic blade, I might be talking out of my rectum on this one.)

** According to the shop justflint.com flintknives have to be one fifth as thick as they are wide.

He's after killing a guy immune to metal with it (which I took to mean an immunity to harm from metal, like some enemies in D+D board games, for example). One slash over the jugular doesn't require a particularly sturdy blade. :)

Then again, a big enough clout round the lughole with a two by four would work too. :D

Of course, if the OP meant that he's immune to steel because he's armoured, then the ceramic would likely be a no go. But so would glass, obsidian and tusks. :)

Last edited:

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
He's after killing a guy immune to metal with it (which I took to mean an immunity to harm from metal, like some enemies in D+D board games, for example). One slash over the jugular doesn't require a particularly sturdy blade. :)

Then again, a big enough clout round the lughole with a two by four would work too. :D

Of course, if the OP meant that he's immune to steel because he's armoured, then the ceramic would likely be a no go. But so would glass, obsidian and tusks. :)

Yeah, the guy he's trying to kill has a field surrounding his body that repels metal. Its effectiveness seems to work based on how well the metal in question conducts electricity, but rather than making a lead knife he'd rather make one that won't be affected at all.

It sounds like the tusk would work, though the Venetian glass ones sound wicked painful! He's liking the sound of that.

An arrow would probably work better and be safer, but it just didn't fit the character. He's one of those crazy hog hunters that chases boar down with a couple of dogs and then stabs it in the heart with a hunting knife.

Thanks for all the flint knapping links and things too! Those are totally fascinating, and good to know about. That might be a route he'd go. Anti-metal dude caused the character to lose a leg and killed his brother, so he's got a lot of time to fill keeping occupied. I was trying to figure out if he'd be more interested in wood, leather, or metal working but that could be a good diversion.

The technology level is right about where America was during the civil war. Sorry for not mentioning that in the original post.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
Zirconium oxide is no longer a metal by virtue of it being an oxide. It is a insulator, non-ductile, non-malleable. A non-metal by any definition

Ahem: "Also, there can be no metal used in the construction of the knife even if it isn't the blade."

I took that to mean that you couldn't use metal in the knife at all.