Any tutorials for using Lulu?

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Are there any good sources to walk you through the publishing process with Lulu? I simply want to print up a couple of copies to look over for errors and proof reading purposes. Lulu's instructions are next to nothing and so are their forums.

For instance, telling someone that if they upload an 8.5 X 11 document, Lulu will reduce the size approximately to %75 or the original when fitted to a 6 X 9 Trade size does not help me at all. What I need to know are basic things like how do I reduce the size of a word document to fit their 6 X 9 Trade size interior before I send it to them. I downloaded a template, but how do you use it?

I can't imagine how many people have been turned off by their website simply because they can't seem to put out a detailed step by step instruction manual for formatting and such. Even the forums on their site are not easily searchable.

Can anybody help with this?

Last edited:

Emrys

I can hear the ocean calling...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi JDM, I was just looking at their site to do the exact same thing - I wanted to purchase a hard-bound copy to hand out so people can read it and proof it and make notes. I'll let you know what I find out!

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks. I think there is a way to set your page size on Word, but I can't find it. The answer to that question would be immensely helpful.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I was thinking about doing the same thing, using it for proof copies but going the traditional publishing route. I planned to use the 8.5x11 book size though, since it looks cheaper.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Shadowcat

Thanks. I will try to do that. I have 2007 on one computer but have not been able to install it on my laptop as Windows installer is somehow damaged. I will give that a try though. The only template I was able to find and download had nothing but the cover template on it even though I thought it was to be for the text. Seems to me they could do a better job of explaining how to use some of the tools on the website.

SonnyB

Registered
Reaction score
I really need some help. My manuscript is in a Word document. I plan on using Lightning Source to print but have no idea what to do next.

Is there a site somewhere that lists the steps from Word to finished product? I know I'm supposed to transfer this manuscript to InDesign, PDF. That's all I know. I need any advice you can give me.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
ShadowCat:

Many thanks for the template. Using Open Office, I was able to set the page size but mirroring the margins had me baffled. This will be a lot easier. I really appreciate it. I will see how it goes from there.

I am sure that later on I will need advice on setting up the cover but for now, I imagine my hands will be full getting it to look just right.

ShadowCat

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. :)

Just glad i could help you out.

SonnyB - I can't help with Indesign at all but to make a pdf you can download a free program like cutepdf and then you select print and then select cutepdf and save. I believe that is correct, I will have to check my other laptop where I make all my PDF's. Two things to remember, one is the format the page size in word and also the format the print size and to do that is the following steps

1) Go to start
2) click on to the control panel
3) click on prints and faxs
4) right click on the PDF program
5) go to print preferences
6) type in the page size and save

I think that is all, again going by memory. :)

SonnyB

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, ShadowCat. I will download a PDF.