PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Gifts?

rhymegirl
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I need to pick some brains.

I have to write an article about Mother's Day gifts.

If you're a mom, what kind of gift would you like to receive? Do you like flowers? Or would you rather go out to lunch?

If you're a son or daughter or husband or SO, what kind of Mother's Day gift are you likely to buy for your Mom/Wife/Mother of your child?

alleycat
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Mine gets a phone call.

Alpha Echo
05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Depends on the age.

My stepdaughter is 7, so I'm just hoping my husband remembers. It's different, though, since she's my stepdaughter. I hope that one day, she gets old enough to recognize me on Mother's Day or that my husband puts it in her head to do so. A card will make me happy.

But, if I were the bioparent, it would still depend on the age of the child. If the kid's older, I'd love lunch somewhere quiet. So we could talk and relax and be just us girls. Maybe mani/pedi. Something that gives a chance to get to know each other a little bit more.

Younger kids...something homemade. A card, tissue-paper flowers, something like that. A craft that the kid spent time making just for me, with me in mind.

My own mother...will get a card. That's it. But...we've had our issues. And I'll get to see her twice this weekend, so that should make her happy.

rhymegirl
05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Mine gets a phone call.

Sample phone call:

Hello?

Hi Mom, this is alleycat.

Who?

Your son?

Oh. Are you still in prison?

Yeah. This is my one phone call.

stormie
05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Having dinner made, laundry done.

A card with a personal message.

No one calling out "Mom!" They have to find or figure everything out themselves. Or go to Dad, which is a last resort. :D

Alpha Echo
05-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Having dinner made, laundry done.

A card with a personal message.

No one calling out "Mom!" They have to find or figure everything out themselves. Or go to Dad, which is a last resort. :D

Oh yeah. Why didn't I think of those?

Or those coupons! I saw them in the store and laughed. I used to make my mom coupons. Now you can just buy them.

But I'd want my coupons homemade. :)

rhymegirl
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Just want to point out that I need to write about actual gifts you can buy in the store. Do you prefer flowers, food, a spa visit?

alleycat
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, in that case, I used to buy mine plants (for the outside); one of my mother's favorite gifts was a red rose bush, which I planted, as well as some Siberian iris another year. As she got older this wasn't as good of a gift (since she couldn't take care of the stuff she had).

GailD
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Since my kids are grown (and I don't have to smile through those breakfasts in bed with half cooked bacon and runny eggs - egad!) a gift voucher from my favorite bookstore always works a treat. That way I get to chose the book I want and not what my kids imagine I want to read.

Nice goodies for the bath comes a close second.

Alpha Echo
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Store bought gifts...hmmmm...I love flowers, but I don't have a green thumb. So no plants. But flower are nice.

However, I'd probably prefer something like a spa day. Especially massage.

sheadakota
05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
at the risk of sounding cynical- I hate Mother's day. I mean, really - one day? That's it? Save up all that sweetness and spread it out during the year.

kayleamay
05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I dropped a hint about canning supplies. I know. I'm wild like that.

tjwriter
05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Gift card to the bookstore. Peaceful shopping trip included.

regdog
05-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I buy my aunt her favorite things from Omaha Steaks and a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.

Wicked
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Trees.

Flowers that can be planted, and come back every year.

Trees.

Going out to dinner can be a nice treat too.

More trees.

kayleamay
05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Trees.

Flowers that can be planted, and come back every year.

Trees.

Going out to dinner can be a nice treat too.

More trees.

:Hug2:
soulmate

Grrarrgh
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm getting my mom a Netflix membership and a Roku box so she can stream the Netflix directly onto her TV.

brainstorm77
05-04-2011, 11:54 PM
New kids?

stormie
05-05-2011, 01:15 AM
New kids?
You mean you can get new kids in a store? Or is it mail order. Let me know. ASAP!

Okay. Seriously. Store bought:

Box of chocolate

Book store gift certificate

A gift basket from Bath & Bodyworks

No cookbooks. For once I don't want to even think of cooking.

Pistol Whipped Bee
05-05-2011, 01:34 AM
A small piece of jewelry. I'd probably wear it every day. A little bottle of scented oil (no perfume) or a really great candle would be nice too. A quirky, inexpensive piece of art from someone local. Something creative. Something that lasts for a while.

brainstorm77
05-05-2011, 02:03 AM
You mean you can get new kids in a store? Or is it mail order. Let me know. ASAP!

Okay. Seriously. Store bought:

Box of chocolate

Book store gift certificate

A gift basket from Bath & Bodyworks

No cookbooks. For once I don't want to even think of cooking.:D So, no pots and pans?

TerraAnn
05-05-2011, 02:29 AM
I usually get my mom a card and an apple scented candle. She loves candles. I always ask what she wants so I can maybe get her something else too, but she always says nothing. So I usually end up just treating her to lunch and drinks too.

rhymegirl
05-05-2011, 02:46 AM
A small piece of jewelry. I'd probably wear it every day.

A bestseller at one of the gift stores I went to was something called Trollbeads. I guess you buy them one at a time to add to a bracelet. Each bead is different.