PDA

View Full Version : First 6 chapters of historical fiction

Carrie-Anne
05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I would love at least one other pair of eyes to have a look at the first six chapters of my Russian novel. I went back a number of times and revised and expanded them during the 8.5 years I was writing it, and am doing it one final time now. I was only 13 when I wrote the original versions, and thus have had to fix a lot of the sentence structure and take out superfluous words, lines, and passages from the original sections, but it would be nice to have another opinion on which lines and scenes might need to be scalpeled or significantly rewritten. (Honestly, when I got to chapter 7 during my ongoing revisions, I knew I'd gotten to the section I started writing when I was going on 17, since the plot was so much tighter and the writing style WAY better!)

The first six chapters are roughly 65,000 words and take place from April 1917 to the late summer of 1919. Much of the plot does revolve around the love story between the double protagonists, but it's not a romance novel (at least, I never considered it one), and it's not the modern, conventional type of love story.

Thanks in advance!

Prawn
05-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I ran across an article last night about why people love Russian literature. Thought you might be interested.

http://www.economist.com/node/18584142