Military family needs help shipping pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
**Posted with Mac's Permission**

This is about a friend of mine. She and her children are going to Germany to be with her husband, who is in the military. She has already been forced to rehome one of the family dogs; the timing of the microchipping/vaccinations wasn't right. She's trying not to lose the other.

Dawn said:
Our family is moving to Germany in 11-days and the cost of shipping our large dog is a LOT more than anticipated. Bozzlee deserves to stay with his people! Here's the run-down with as much information as I can think to supply.

Joe has been in the Army for almost 8-years and endured that blistering sandbox called Iraq 2x.

So far, the cheapest, which I don't know if I can book, is $1539 with the max being about $3000 (we had anticipated around $500 to add to our flight, but given his size & international; it's a LOT more). Our family is sucking it up and asking for help. I figure if we can get enough small donations the cost will be quickly covered. If you would like to make a larger LOAN, I will happily discuss repayment options with you.

Who would have thought shipping a dog costs more than flying a person? And we're trying to do this between paydays and getting basic household items to get us by for the two months before our household items arrive.

Should you want to, or be willing/able to, make a contribution to the ship-a-dog fund we would be ever grateful. James and I are losing Lulu because of a new EU rule and would be absolutely devastated to not bring Bozz with us, he's been part of our family for years.

You can go to this site, register and use my email REDACTED to transfer funds. For the record, I will NOT be able to see your banking information, nor you mine.
https://souone.higheroneaccount.com/sponsorsignupinfo.jsp

I'm chalking this up as a lesson learned for the next time they move us and we will be prepared!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED MORE THAN I CAN EVER EXPRESS!

It has come to my attention that I should offer my paypal option. For that use the email address REDACTED.

I will be deleting this note as soon as it's taken care of, by whatever method that is. The LAST thing I would ever do is take advantage of anyone's generosity.

Here is her blog post on the same situation.

Pictures of the dog in question.

She has already lost one beloved family pet to this move. If you can, and if you feel for her plight, please help keep her from losing the other.

Thank you,
Monkey
(Jennifer)

Last edited by a moderator:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I had a sweet kitty named Lulu. I could only give a little, but if everyone does that, these things work out!

GOOD LUCK!!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gave what I could, hope it helps

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Every little bit does. As of yesterday, she still needed a little over 700 dollars, and she has about eight days left.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
shared the link! I hope they get him to Germany. big grown dogs are hard to place. :(

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Defy.

Guess what, guys? She only needs a little over $200 more! So close! And today I got a message from her asking what AW was. When I told her, she responded, "I thought it was this magical physical place of generous people." LOL. Dawn has an interest in writing and a background in journalism; she'll be joining us once she is settled in Germany.

Thanks again, everyone.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised she couldn't find someone on the military base closest to her. There are lots of way to do it cheaply and they would know how. It appears her husband has the military rank to allow him more than a few benefits - to include financial assistance in shipping a pet.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
You would think.

She said the military used to ship family pets as part of "household goods" but they don't any longer. And the military is required to ship them on US flights, which is part of the problem; she found flights out of Germany that would have shipped her dog for well within the amount she'd budgeted, but the people have to be on the same flight as their pets, and since the military wouldn't pay for her to be on a German flight...

Anyway, if you have specific questions about the whys and hows, her name is Dawn Hatchard (I feel free to give her name since it's in her e-mail address, blog, and all). You can contact her through facebook or the blog I linked.

I can vouch that she's for real--she's a long term friend of the family--and her story is real. I'm sketchy on some of the details, but it's not because she won't tell anyone who'll sit still long enough to listen.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 1955 we were transferred to Germany. The military did not pay to ship our dog, or the two or three months she had to spend in quarantine once she got there. Dad told me many years later that the only reason they spent all that money was they figured she would die while we were over there and they wouldn't have to pay to ship her home. She lasted the 3 years in Germany and 2 more stateside. :D

MM
glad your friend is getting the money

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I really feel for your friend being an ex-military wife, I know how it is. I would gladly give something but we are struggling too much. Our bank account is literally negative until my husband gets paid on Friday.

But I did share the page on Facebook. I have a lot of military friends especially who might help, or share it themselves. I wish your friend luck!

ETA: what about posting this in OP as well, to get a lot more views?

Last edited:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to double-post, but thank you, Satori, for posting this to your facebook.

And thanks to everyone who has contributed, reposted, or just sent good vibes Dawn's way. It's greatly appreciated.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
:( Aw, I will post to my FB and a few animal groups I belong to. There is also a group that helps soldgers get the animals they friend in Irac home. I will send them a letter and see if they can't help.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
$185 to go. She can no longer accept PayPal; it won't go into the account quickly enough.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe so! The last I'd heard, she needed about $130. Then, her facebook profile said she and a friend were going to drop her pup off at the airport. I was going to come back and update, but I wanted confirmation first, and unfortunately, she's going to be off facebook for a couple of days and her phone is off. As soon as I hear from her, I'll confirm for sure, but right now, I'm fairly certain she and Bozz made it to Germany!

Thank you so much to everyone who helped. :)

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
^_^ Awesome!! :) So glad the pup got to go with the family :)

Deleted member 42

Spam post reported.

It isn't spam; notice, please the **Posted with Mac's Permission** at the top of the original post.

That pretty much makes it the opposite of spam.

But it's awfully nice that members watch out for that.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
But since this is all wrapped up, I think we can just close the thread and wish them well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.