PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reboots - Are they good or bad?

Randman
05-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Perusing through some of the up-coming films I see more reboots of movies that should either have died where they stood, or perhaps the reboot start a new story line with some originality.

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Conan the Barbarian" are two films comings this fall. Based on the Apes movie info it proposes a new twist; however, the Conan film does not. Which begs me to question why does a reboot have to be a remake?

With both of these cases I find myself thinking that reboot is a bad thing, and that Hollywood should look to more originality even if it is based on a book or story 30-40-50+ years old. There is so much material that could become a wonderful film or a series of films that it is hard to believe that there is a need to dig out past films that need to stay buried.

I find that originality in films like "The Adjustment Bureau" keep me going to the theater and films like "True Grit" keep me staying at home.

Celia Cyanide
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I liked that the rebooted Batman. :)

Diana Hignutt
05-03-2011, 07:59 PM
The 3:10 to Yuma remake f-ing rocked.

And as Celia said, the new Batman movies are vastly better than the earlier films.

The Superman reboot, Man of Steel promises much, and that franchise needed rebooting...

Zoombie
05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Like any other movie, it honestly depends on the people making it.

Give a story to a genius, and he will make it dance.

Give a story to Michale Bay...well...

Also the Adjustment Bureau is an adaptation of a book. So is True Grit, for that matter. Also, the Cohen brothers did a fucking AMAZING job and you are doing yourself a disservice for not watching that film!

Bmwhtly
05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I liked that the rebooted Batman. :)That's what I came in here to say.

The 3:10 to Yuma remake f-ing rocked.Surely that's a remake, rather than a reboot?

Oh wait, you already said that.
*Wanders off*

darkprincealain
05-03-2011, 09:20 PM
That depends on the series. Star Trek and Batman yes, some other series ... not so much. :)

Bmwhtly
05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
some other series ... not so much. :)*Demands examples*

Also, you forgot Battlestar Galactica.

Oh, wait, that's television.
*Wanders off*

darkprincealain
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street. The most recently completed Superman movie reboot starring somebody or other, Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey, in my sometimes not so humble opinion.

On TV: The BSG reboot was wonderful. I hear good things about Smallville.

I loathe the simpering shallow mess that V is pretending to be. But I hear people enjoy it and wish them well while they enjoy it. I just don't like that they seemed attracted to remaking the intensity of the original, but none of it is there for me. Two of my favorite actors are on that show and I still refuse to watch.

Diana Hignutt
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street. The most recently completed Superman movie reboot starring somebody or other, Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey, in my sometimes not so humble opinion.

The only worthwhile thing in that movie--Superman Returns(and I love Kevin Spacey) was the plane rescue. Dazzling. If only the other hour and fifty minutes was as good.

defcon6000
05-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Like any other movie, it honestly depends on the people making it.

Give a story to a genius, and he will make it dance.

Give a story to Michale Bay...well...

Second this - especially the Michael Bay part. :roll:

Reboot of Batman was pretty decent, the second movie more so than the first. Heard nothing but good things about the new Star Trek movie, I still need to see it for myself, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm curious about Conan the Barbarian, who's going to be playing Conan? (please don't say Arnold)

Bmwhtly
05-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street.That reminds me, no Halloween can live up to the original.

Same goes for The Fog

Randman
05-03-2011, 11:23 PM
That reminds me, no Halloween can live up to the original.

Same goes for The Fog

Which for me was the same with True Grit. To me John Wayne was Rooster Cogburn.

As far as the latest Batmans and Star Trek, I agree their reboots had originality to them and were not a remake with extra effects.

Why Conan the Barbarian with Jason Momoa? Why not Conan something else besides the same story of his father and mother's death to later seek revenge?

defcon6000
05-04-2011, 01:10 AM
That reminds me, no Halloween can live up to the original.

Same goes for The Fog
Haven't seen the reboot of The Fog (and probably never will), but Rob Zombie's version of Halloween was terribad. I didn't even finish it, it was so stupid. First the long-ass backstory, because when I watch a slasher flick, that's exactly what I want to see - backstory. :rolleyes: And then every teen girl is pretty much a skank with dirty thoughts. Teenagers may be horny, but they're not that horny. Think I cut it off after seeing the girl laying out in the front yard, stabbed - oh, and she's half-naked.

darkprincealain
05-05-2011, 03:16 AM
The only worthwhile thing in that movie--Superman Returns(and I love Kevin Spacey) was the plane rescue. Dazzling. If only the other hour and fifty minutes was as good.

I love Parker Posey--more in the indies than in the mainstream movies she does but she can give an entertaining performance even in the midst of dreck. For a couple of examples, I point to Josie and the Pussycats and The Anniversary Party, in which she seems to be chewing on her thoughts before she says anything in the midst of all the "crazy people."

I swear, if Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey can't save your movie, that crap was never going to go anywhere in the first place.

cherita
05-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I loved Christopher Nolan's Batman reboot, but Superman Returns, not so much. I didn't even know True Grit was a reboot, so maybe they're good for introducing films to a new generation? Although I like original concepts as well...

darkprincealain
05-05-2011, 05:18 AM
I feel like this thread is really DC heavy for some reason ... no Marvel films old enough to have a reboot yet? Oh wait, Hulk / Incredible Hulk. I confess to having seen neither. Anybody seen these to compare?

defcon6000
05-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Only saw the first Hulk, which was meh. Haven't been too interested in seeing the reboot. I'm curious what they do with the Spider-Man reboot though, apparently Peter Parker has been downgraded to a teen in HS. Not my cuppa, but we'll see how it does.

nighttimer
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I saw a picture of the remake of Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs with James Marsden subbing for Dustin Hoffman and the locale moved from Ireland to Mississippi. Then there's Colin Farrell taking on the Arnold Schwazenegger role in Total Recall and the action stays on Earth, not Mars.

I cannot tell you how much this looks dogshit awful. Then again, I don't think these remakes/reboots are made for me. When you see the original how often are you gonna be impressed by a copy?

Now what we're getting are movies where they've strip--mined the property with a bad entry (Spider-Man 3, Superman Returns, the Alien and Predator franchises) so out goes the actors and directors and in comes a new crew and everything is going to be shiny and new again. Like Warner Brothers announcing already after Chris Nolan's final Batman in 2012, there will be an entirely different version in the planned Justice League flick and then they're going to reboot Nolan's version (and as they said in The Fly reboot, "be afraid, be very afraid").

Horror really seems to be where these movies fail dismally. With the possible exception of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, I haven't seen any that improved upon the original. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, Friday the 13th, The Hills Have Eyes, Halloween, My Bloody Valentine and A Nightmare on Elm Street have all gone into the shop for a new coat of paint and while they can make them bloodier and the kills more graphic, they really aren't quantum leaps forward.

In another decade someone's going to look at the first Saw or Hostel and say, "I can do better than that." They might be right, but they'll probably be wrong.

Diana Hignutt
05-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I feel like this thread is really DC heavy for some reason ... no Marvel films old enough to have a reboot yet? Oh wait, Hulk / Incredible Hulk. I confess to having seen neither. Anybody seen these to compare?

The Ed Norton Hulk film was far superior to the Eric Bana version (not that that was Bana's fault). They paid tribute to the much loved Bill Bixby TV show, and did a fine job. I bought the DVD anyway.

ETA: They are rebooting the Spiderman and Fantastic Four movies.

maestrowork
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I find that originality in films like "The Adjustment Bureau" keep me going to the theater and films like "True Grit" keep me staying at home.

True Grit happens to be an excellent movie. Some already suggested Star Trek, Batman, etc. If you categorically deny reboots/remakes, you may miss something great.

And remember, some of the Hollywood classics are themselves remakes or reboots, too.

Why single out remakes or reboots? It all depends on the filmmakers, no? It's not like "original" movies are any good either. Look at all the "original" crap we've had lately.

darkprincealain
05-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Fantastic Four

Except for starring the Commish, that crap needs rebooted. What a waste of time those two movies were.