PDA

View Full Version : The poster....

ChunkyC
10-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi gang. We have finalized the poster and flyer design, and we should have links on the SoS site soon so that you can download the appropriate version. For now, I thought I'd post a low-res version here so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Remember, this is a low quality image. The actual files will be PDFs.

ChunkyC
10-28-2005, 03:08 AM
We also have a bookmark which will be available for download as well. Here's a peek at it....

Shwebb
10-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Looks great! Can't wait . . .

Christine N.
10-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Chunky, they look great. But I have one suggestion.

On the bookmarks for my book, I have the ISBN listed under the name. Just in case someone wants to look it up in Bowkers.
<shrug> I guess it's neither here nor there, but you might want to think about it.

What size is that poster going to be in? And are you doing a flyer too, that doesn't have so much... stuff? I only ask b/c color copies are expensive, a grayscale flyer is cheaper to reproduce.

September skies
10-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Bravo! Those are awesome Chunky. :)

ChunkyC
10-28-2005, 03:40 AM
The ISBN is there on the bookmark, it's just hard to see in this low-res image. It's right below the website address in the black bar at the bottom. It's also on the poster, the first line in the block of text at the lower half of the black sidebar.

As for various types, we have four versions of each: letter and ledger size for North America, A4 and B4 for Europe & Asia.

The letter and A4 bookmark files have 5 bookmarks, the ledger and B4 bookmark files have 10 bookmarks. There are cutlines in all the bookmark files.

As for greyscale, they'll come out looking fine on a good quality black and white printer/copier using photo/picture settings.

Dawno
10-28-2005, 03:54 AM
whoo hoo! I have every good intention of going to the local bookstores in Mountain View and seeing if they'll participate. These promo items will help a lot. Very professional looking!

Christine N.
10-28-2005, 04:20 AM
Cool, Chunky. Sorry, I didn't see it on there, I looked too!

I'm blind anyway. LOL.

You rock!

Kim Gogo
10-28-2005, 04:40 AM
Beauty-full! Great job, CC! I cannot wait to get my grimy little hands on 'em!!

I so proud!!

kim

mommie4a
10-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Wow, talent and awesomeness everywhere. Thank you so much.

CharmianChristie
10-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Super work! Thanks for posting these, Charlie.

Charmian

Sully
10-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Very classy looking!

Mary

aka eraser
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Beautyous!

awatkins
10-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Those are gorgeous! Great job, CC and the design team. Thanks! :)

ChunkyC
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I'll pass your kudos along to my co-worker Sharlene, she did virtually all of the work, except for having to put up with me standing over her shoulder and pointing a lot.... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

AmyBA
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
These are beautiful-- thank you so much, and to Sharlene, too!

Paint
10-28-2005, 11:48 PM
The poster looks great! Every day more excitement...!

Thank you
Paint

shelagh
10-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I've designed a poster and added it to my site (jpeg image) The poster can be downloaded easily and printed out any size. If you have any suggestions or find any mistakes, please get back to me:

http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk/storiesofstrengthposter.html

Shelagh

Moondancer
10-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm going to do some more playing around with this. I keep forgetting I have InDesign because I just got it a month or so ago. I have this saved in MSPublisher right now and it's not offering a lot of choices for saving in other formats. Here's what I've got so far (jpg images so the quality is off.). I used email addresses for security rather than putting phone numbers on them. We can filter the nuts and scammers out through email easier than we can through phone numbers but that can be changed to your preference as you'll be editing to add your own information.

I was thinking about something else, too... we could make a bookmark with the same information instead of a business card... similar to Chunky's but for the before purchase. Also I know the availability date is subject to change but that can also be edited when we know for sure.

shelagh
10-30-2005, 04:45 PM
I've posted three bookmarks onto my site for easy download. The jpeg images (5 or 6 to a page) can be inserted into a Word document and printed onto thin card. Please make suggestions or point out any mistakes:

http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk/storiesofstrengthbookmarks.html

Shelagh

Christine N.
10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
As an aside... it's good to 'see' you again, Shelagh!

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
I've posted three bookmarks onto my site for easy download. The jpeg images (5 or 6 to a page) can be inserted into a Word document and printed onto thin card. Please make suggestions or point out any mistakes:

Shelagh

Shelagh, These are very nice and clean. I love the poster you did also. I saved them all. On the bookmarks, the cement/flower is a bit stretched and is noticeable; the one in the center. But otherwise I like the cleanliness and straight to the point approach with the design.

There's so many talented folks here at the AWWC. Thanks Chunky and Sharlene for the nice design as well. I have been playing with this in Design CS, but haven't come up with anything as nice as what you all have.

shelagh
10-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Shelagh, These are very nice and clean. I love the poster you did also. I saved them all. On the bookmarks, the cement/flower is a bit stretched and is noticeable; the one in the center. But otherwise I like the cleanliness and straight to the point approach with the design.

There's so many talented folks here at the AWWC. Thanks Chunky and Sharlene for the nice design as well. I have been playing with this in Design CS, but haven't come up with anything as nice as what you all have.
Vanessa,
Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the central bookmark. I think it's a big improvement!

Thanks again,
Shelagh

Richard
10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert!

No, really. Don't use JPEG for anything that relies on red - it'll murder the colour. Try saving as a GIF or a PNG instead.

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert!

No, really. Don't use JPEG for anything that relies on red - it'll murder the colour. Try saving as a GIF or a PNG instead.

:)Thanks Richard for that tip. Didn't notice the difference on my site, but will convert the file to gif. Thanks again.

maestrowork
10-30-2005, 08:49 PM
We already have an official poster and bookmark, please use them. (And thanks, Charlie and Sharlene!)

The last thing we want is a hundred different versions of posters, bookmarks, etc. Business cards are okay, since it's personal. But please stick with the official designs.

Thank you.

shelagh
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert!

Try printing out the bookmarks and if they don't come out red, I'll change to gif (the bookmarks are not supposed to remain virtual!)

Shelagh

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
We already have an official poster and bookmark, please use them. (And thanks, Charlie and Shelagh!)

The last thing we want is a hundred different versions of posters, bookmarks, etc. Business cards are okay, since it's personal. But please stick with the official designs.

Thank you.

I apologize for not understanding we were using just one design. Since there were so many doing different designs for different things. I thought either of them were ok to use. I thought the press release was the only official piece that we all needed to be on one accord with. But hey, that's what I get for thinking. I need to pay more attention.:)

Is it possible to put all the official materials in one thread? That way we'll all know.

shelagh
10-30-2005, 09:04 PM
We already have an official poster and bookmark, please use them. (And thanks, Charlie and Shelagh!)

Thank you.
Bookmarks are like beermats -- people like to collect them. Stick to the logo, change the format! The power of advertising! (Not all computers/printers are the same and therefore the end results won't be the same, but better that everyone produces something rather than nothing!)

Shelagh

maestrowork
10-30-2005, 09:10 PM
I know what you're saying, but it's my understanding that Jenna and Charlie want an official design, and Sharlene has already delivered (BTW, my apologies for thanking for the wrong person earlier :Oops: ). If I'm wrong, they will correct me. We appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, but I think we need to hold off doing our own "thang" as far as marketing materials are concerned. Besides, Sharlene has done a fantastic job -- and I think we need to acknowledge that.

Business cards are different, I suppose, since we don't have an official work done on them, and they could be personalized anyway.

Not trying to be a kill-joy here.

ChunkyC
10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Ray is correct.

When the project began, we decided that we would like to have official advertizing materials for the promotional campaign. I offered up my company and our designer's expertise to produce these materials and we were given the job. I did post to that effect, but the thread has drifted back and I understand how many folks may have missed it.

As for everyone's computer being different, these materials are intended to be taken to a copy shop or other professional quality outlet and printed out there, not printed on a home printer, especially an injet. What we are striving for is a level of professionalism and consistency that will be impossible to maintain if we have a multitude of conflicting designs circulating. The concept is 'branding', creating a consistent design style to be used everywhere throughout the promotional campaign.

This is not to say that the effort and enthusiasm put forth by anyone is not appreciated, it most certainly is, and while it's not a problem for folks to produce something on their own for use in their own area, the only items we should be actively distributing around the world are the official ones.

Those official materials are:

Poster
Flyer
bookmark
logo
banner
button graphics
contributor and supporter graphics

These materials that we would like people to use are available via the Stories of Strength website 'how you can help' page.

Thanks folks.

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
These official materials that we would like people to use are available via the official Stories of Strength website 'how you can help' page.

This helps Chunky. It avoids several people from putting in work that is unnecessary and clears up the notion of what is official.

Richard
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks Richard for that tip. Didn't notice the difference on my site, but will convert the file to gif. Thanks again.

You won't notice any difference if you resave a JPEG as a GIF or PNG - the damage is already done, and all you're doing is copying the damaged version (and ironically, worse, since the compressed images will look markedly worse than if you'd saved the original out). Basically, JPEG works by throwing out information it doesn't think you'll miss, but it's utterly ruthless with red - you get horrible blotching, and very washed out colours.

shelagh
10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Ray and Charlie! I wish I had known sooner -- I wouldn't have wasted my time! I received an email from another contributor with the web link to this thread, suggesting that I might be interested in producing bookmarks for distribution in the UK.

I would prefer to donate money directly to the Hurricane Relief charities rather than spend money on expensive promotional material. The simple designs for a poster and bookmarks were to keep costs to a minimum, and allow contributors to advertise the book locally. It doesn't make sense to spend money on advertising that should be going to a good cause!

Shelagh

Christine N.
10-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Just so you US folks know... you can e-mail copy jobs to Staples. Just go to your local store, they all have an address with their store number.

or you can probably look up the local shop online... www.staples.com

I've had great success with them re: bookmarks. I mean my bookmarks, not the SOS ones.

maestrowork
10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
I highly encourage people to talk to their local print shops (Kinkos, Staples, etc.) and ask to see if they would donate a few copies for the posters or flyers or bookmarks. There are places on the poster/flyer to "customize" by adding a "thank you" to your local print shops.... Obviously, we don't want anyone to bear any financial burden in creating these marketing materials.

To those who could afford it, I think these posters/flyers could be very effective in drawing sales. If each poster draws 2 sales, it's already a "win."

Dawno
10-31-2005, 12:56 AM
If we can get copy shops to donate copies then maybe we can share the donated prints with others who aren't able to find generous printers?

maestrowork
10-31-2005, 01:03 AM
If we can get copy shops to donate copies then maybe we can share the donated prints with others who aren't able to find generous printers?

It's possible and a good idea... but "shipping/postage" would be a concern... Also, print shops might be willing to donate maybe 10 or 20 copies for local use... but probably not 100 copies to be distributed...

Dawno
10-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Could be. Depends on one's powers of persuasion or personal connections, I guess. Probably not something everyone could do.

maestrowork
10-31-2005, 01:19 AM
I am all for it if someone has the clout to pull it off. ;)

Christine N.
10-31-2005, 01:51 AM
That's why I suggest printing the flyers in grayscale. At Staples here, only $.06 per copy at the self -serve copier. 100 flyers will only cost you $6 +tax. I just had a bunch done with my book wrap on them announcing a signing I'm doing. Cheap, really, for 100 of them.

Color copies are like $.39 each. Ok for a poster or two, but not really practical for flyers.

ChunkyC
10-31-2005, 04:31 AM
All good thoughts, everyone. The best case scenario is if a local copy shop like Kinkos or Staples in your area can be encouraged to donate some printouts to the cause. As Ray pointed out, the last thing we expect is for any of you to shell out wads of cash to print these things out. You've all done so much more than just contribute a story to this project and my hat goes off to every one of you.

JennaGlatzer
10-31-2005, 11:24 AM
All good thoughts, everyone. The best case scenario is if a local copy shop like Kinkos or Staples in your area can be encouraged to donate some printouts to the cause.

I'm working on that on for the group, but if individuals can ask their local shops, that would be great. I bet some would be happy to help the cause in return for a mention.

Cabria
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
With re. to getting a copy shop to do print outs, can they do them from the actual printed copy of a flyer or poster off my own printer (which I would give them) or would I need the actual file on disk to give them to do? Is there an original copy of the file that can be downloaded that I would give them? I'm just not sure which would be the best way to do this to get the best copies made. Thanks guys!

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
p.s. HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!!!

ChunkyC
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
With re. to getting a copy shop to do print outs, can they do them from the actual printed copy of a flyer or poster off my own printer (which I would give them) or would I need the actual file on disk to give them to do? Is there an original copy of the file that can be downloaded that I would give them? I'm just not sure which would be the best way to do this to get the best copies made. Thanks guys!

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
p.s. HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!!!
Deb -- the best results will be to print to the shop's machine using the actual file. The files are available for download from the Stories of Strength site, just go to the How You Can Help page. The files are big enough that you'd have to burn them to CD, they won't fit on a floppy. But if you can't get them onto a CD, I imagine the print shop would have Internet access. Just direct them to the site and they can open them up and print them out for you.

maestrowork
11-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Is there a copy of the book cover we can download?

Also, be careful about Kinko's. I have heard stories that they wouldn't allow someone to make copies of book covers or flyers, etc. unless they have written permission from the publisher -- yes, even if the book is their own. It's bizarre, but apparently some authors run into problems with Kinko's when trying to make flyers/posters of their own books.

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Is there a copy of the book cover we can download?

Also, be careful about Kinko's. I have heard stories that they wouldn't allow someone to make copies of book covers or flyers, etc. unless they have written permission from the publisher -- yes, even if the book is their own. It's bizarre, but apparently some authors run into problems with Kinko's when trying to make flyers/posters of their own books.

I can understand their reasoning, due to piracy, which is such a shame for the good ole' folks like us.

Shwebb
11-01-2005, 05:46 AM
I went to Office Depot this evening, and checked on prices. Would have placed an order right then, but there was a couple in front of me leisurely picking out something--and I had my husband and kids in the car.

Anyhoo, here are what they charge for color:

8.5 x 11: 0.85 per sheet, up to 100 sheets
11 x 17: 1.89 per sheet, up to 100 sheets

I also stopped at Waldonbooks on a whim (we took the kiddos to see the "Wallace and Gromit" movie, but my two-year-old couldn't handle sitting through the whole movie). I'm going back in the morning to see what they can do for us. I did find out they are forbidden to post promotional materials in the store. But the assistant manager told me to speak to the manager tomorrow; she thinks they will stock some.

scfirenice
11-01-2005, 05:52 AM
HELP! I can't seem to download the flyer, well not and make it work. When I try to open the file it asks me what language??? I picked what was highlighted unicode8 but it just shows up as pages of code. My local Staples does not allow you to use the website from the store to print that way....argh. PM me with help please.

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 05:58 AM
You should be able to just save it to your external medium or your hard drive. You don't download it. It should have opened up in PDF.

Vanessa
11-01-2005, 05:59 AM
HELP! I can't seem to download the flyer, well not and make it work. When I try to open the file it asks me what language??? I picked what was highlighted unicode8 but it just shows up as pages of code. My local Staples does not allow you to use the website from the store to print that way....argh. PM me with help please.

PM me I'll explain further.

shelagh
11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert!

Thanks Richard! I've saved the images as jpeg and png files. Both are posted on the bookmarks page (there's a link to storiesofstrength.com for official bookmarks) of my site for easy download for anyone experiencing difficulty with downloading/saving files:

I've also saved the poster image as a jpeg and png file:

http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk/storiesofstrengthposter.html

The poster can be printed at home by anyone (all your friends can print out posters for very little outlay!)

Congratulations to Jenna and the team for making the November 1 deadline!

Here's to success!!!!!!

Cheers,
Shelagh

Ken Schneider
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
i can't seem to get the bookmark to load all the way.

i have burned the poster to a cd, and printed out one copy of the flyer to run through the copy machine.

please respond to a one armed cripple when you can. lol.
ken

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 07:11 PM
It's just a PDF file. If you download it to your hard disk you should be able to open it as long as you have Acrobat (Acrobat) Reader installed on your computer. I just did it as a test and it worked fine.

As Vanessa says, if you click the link, it should just open in your browser as long as you have the Adobe Reader plug-in installed. Then you can save it to your disk. If you don't have the plug-in, your browser should prompt you to install it.

If anyone is having trouble opening any of the files, try downloading the latest Adobe Reader software (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).

Ken, if you are trying to let the browser open the bookmark files, it is going to take a while. The 5-up files are around 5 megabytes in size, and the 10-up are about twice that. If that's what you've been doing, try downloading the file to your hard drive instead, then open it from there with the actual Adobe Reader program rather than the browser.

Ken Schneider
11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
thanks chuck.

since i'm off until feb 20th http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif i'll be able to promote a lot.

am getting info together for press kits to send out this week.

does anyone know when the isbn will appear on ingram for the bookstores?

ken

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 09:15 PM
does anyone know when the isbn will appear on ingram for the bookstores?
Lulu has done wonders again with this. It usually takes up to six weeks, but they hope SoS will appear in the databases bookstores use in about two weeks.

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I've gotta say that my own inkjet did a better job than the print shop at Office Depot. They gave my order to me, and gradations in the gray look very linear; and where "Stories of Strength" is at the top, the background has a gray circle!

(We don't have a Staples in the big city, but there might be a Kinko's in the smaller city close by.)

Why would I get a result like that from them? I took them the CD w/ the pdf's on it. I didn't think anything of it until I did print it off on my own printer and saw the difference.

Lady K'Lyssia
11-02-2005, 03:51 AM
As soon as we have the information on SOS being available from Ingram please post it - I plan on including the local bookstores in my mailings and would expect some of them to ask about that.