PDA

View Full Version : [$200 for multiple rights] Machine of Death 2 submissions open, May 1 to July 15, 2011

Bartholomew
05-03-2011, 05:53 AM
The Machine of Death 2 anthology is in the works. Here's the essentials:

SUBMISSION PERIOD
Submissions will be accepted from May 1 – July 15, 2011. We expect to make our final selections by October 31, 2011.
PAYMENT
We pay $200 (US) upon acceptance.
LENGTH
Stories can be any length, but we recommend a length of 1,500 – 7,500 words. We will almost certainly be printing stories longer or shorter than these limits, but we expect most stories in the book will fall into this range.
RIGHTS
We buy the following rights:
• World anthology rights in English and translation
• Audio and ebook anthology rights
• Film rights, with an additional bonus payout of $4,000 if your story is substantially used in any commercial movie or TV adaptation of Machine of Death
We expect to release a Creative Commons edition of the next book, just as we did with the first one. Most of the authors in the first book elected to release their stories under Creative Commons, but it’s not strictly required. If you have strong feeling about this either way, please let us know upfront so we can take it into account when reading your story.

Guidelines: http://machineofdeath.net/mod2

Good luck!

Chris P
05-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Connection on the website keeps timing out for me. I'll try again later. I'm interested in seeing what type of stories they are after.

Chris P
05-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Works now, and I like the idea:

Machine of Death is an anthology of short stories with a shared premise. [. . .] All stories in the book start with the idea of a machine that can use a blood test to tell you how you’re going to die — sometimes vaguely, but always accurately.

Bartholomew
05-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Connection on the website keeps timing out for me. I'll try again later. I'm interested in seeing what type of stories they are after.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's getting flooded by requests. The first book did really well.

Satori1977
05-04-2011, 07:46 AM
That actually sounds really cool.

Sai
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the tip Bart! This is a really great anthology and I'd love to have a story in volume two.

Manuel Royal
07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Even though I never heard of it until yesterday, I'm giving it a shot.

Does the deadline mean until the end of July 15? (Asking this on July 14.)

ETA: Ah; looking around on the website, I find a countdown clock indicating I've still got one day and 13 hours 45 minutes; that's 3 am on the 16th here, meaning midnight on the West Coast. Excellent.

E further TA: This portion of the list of roads to avoid (mostly) doesn't seem well thought out:
• Obsessed with Living Forever: A person gets their death prediction and then spends the rest of their life ensuring that they will never come in contact with whatever is supposed to kill them. (Only to be killed anyway in the end — usually ironically.) Our verdict: People might make small lifestyle changes in response to their predictions, but the guy who moves to the middle of the Sahara to escape “TRAIN DERAILMENT” would only exist if your story is a fairy tale or a parable.I'm not going to use that approach, but I disagree that it wouldn't happen. If such a machine existed, and people got "TRAIN DERAILMENT" as a prediction, some of them would make it their business to never be within miles of a rail line. It's an entirely believable reaction. It's the premise that makes every single possible story for the anthology a fairy tale, because it's a fairy tale premise.

Manuel Royal
07-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Okay, first story done. (According to the Facebook page for Machine of Death (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Machine-of-Death/114958475234013), they'll accept up to three submissions.)

And, flagrantly bumping to keep this on the front page. It's really a cool idea for an anthology (again), and I hope some more AW'ers make the deadline!

Bartholomew
07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Even though I never heard of it until yesterday, I'm giving it a shot.

Does the deadline mean until the end of July 15? (Asking this on July 14.)

ETA: Ah; looking around on the website, I find a countdown clock indicating I've still got one day and 13 hours 45 minutes; that's 3 am on the 16th here, meaning midnight on the West Coast. Excellent.

E further TA: This portion of the list of roads to avoid (mostly) doesn't seem well thought out: I'm not going to use that approach, but I disagree that it wouldn't happen. If such a machine existed, and people got "TRAIN DERAILMENT" as a prediction, some of them would make it their business to never be within miles of a rail line. It's an entirely believable reaction. It's the premise that makes every single possible story for the anthology a fairy tale, because it's a fairy tale premise.

I actually wrote a flash fiction (http://bartholomewklick.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/train-derailment-free-mod-flash-fiction/) about this exactly. I was rather proud of it, but then, my ego came pre-inflated.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Manuel Royal
07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Well, got one story in. (They accept up to three submissions.) Will try to do another one today.

Still skeptical about the business model, but it seems a worthwhile experiment. I'd like to see the numbers for the first anthology.

Manuel Royal
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM
I actually wrote a flash fiction (http://bartholomewklick.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/train-derailment-free-mod-flash-fiction/) about this exactly. I was rather proud of it, but then, my ego came pre-inflated.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.Nice one, Bartholomew.

Don't worry about having an inflated ego. Life will supply people to come along and prick it for you. Then you can exclaim, "Prick!"

Laurathewriter
07-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I loved the premise - found it inspired a lot of daydreaming which is always the beginning of the writing process for me.

I sent two submissions:Sun:If nothing else I had fun!

EKAnderson
07-17-2011, 02:25 AM
I ended up sending something in. I generally write YA, but I think I managed to do something that crosses over. Fingers crossed that they like it, because I'm pretty into what I came up with. Worst case scenario? Another short story for the repertoire!

Laurathewriter
07-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Excellent, Ekanderson!

Anyone up for sharing the titles of their submissions? My two babies were

Coronary Heart disease (better than it sounds, I promise)

The Collaboration

shelleyo
07-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Excellent, Ekanderson!

Anyone up for sharing the titles of their submissions? My two babies were

Coronary Heart disease (better than it sounds, I promise)

The Collaboration

Good luck to everyone.

Mine was "Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation."

Shelley

Bartholomew
07-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Mortal Combat with Ants

Chest Pains, But Happy for The First Time in Decades.

Mutive
07-18-2011, 09:08 PM
I sent in "Childbirth" A friend did "Hunger"

We'll see. ;) Good luck to all!

Manuel Royal
07-18-2011, 09:22 PM
"Smart Virus."

sameerjoad
07-19-2011, 01:12 AM
damn missed out on this one!

EKAnderson
07-19-2011, 06:53 AM
I titled mine "Come on Eileen." Set in 1984-ish New York.

Bartholomew
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I titled mine "Come on Eileen." Set in 1984-ish New York.

Oh, god. I'm trying to picture that death and I can't but stitch together horrific abominations against sanity. Please, put my mind to ease, and tell me what the death is. o_o

Tienci
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
"Toxin" for me.

faerydancer
07-20-2011, 12:50 AM
"Wax Nostalgic" was my title.

EKAnderson
07-20-2011, 12:53 AM
The main character's name is Eileen, and she knows that she'll die of a freak medical condition while listening to her favorite song by Berlin.

bladestalker
07-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I got mine in a couple of days before the deadline. The title is 'Running with Scissors"

shelleyo
07-28-2011, 05:36 AM
The main character's name is Eileen, and she knows that she'll die of a freak medical condition while listening to her favorite song by Berlin.

The name took me right to Dexy's Midnight Runners. Has nothing to do with the song, "Come On, Eileen" by them?

Shelley

Emptyeye
07-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Mine was just called "Drowning". Yes, it's the same title as one from the first anthology (But otherwise has nothing to do with it).

Laurathewriter
11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Has anyone had word on their submission yet? The MOD folks said they should have notified everyone by the end of this week . . .

Fallen Angel
11-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Way late. But.. wasn't the first the book to unseat Glenn Beck from #1 when it was released and he hemorrhaged?

I wished it on Amazon, same with the second, having fun looking at the related books. :) Will there be a third book?

Oh, and if anybody is willing to post a unpublished story online (and they can) would be appreciated if they link it. Thanks.

Bartholomew
11-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Rejected. :(

regdog
11-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Sorry, Bart

bladestalker
11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Also rejected, but the email said they wanted to consider my story for future volumes and such... Anyone else get a response like this?

BenPanced
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Way late. But.. wasn't the first the book to unseat Glenn Beck from #1 when it was released and he hemorrhaged?

Yup.

http://boingboing.net/2010/10/29/machine-of-death-ama.html

http://www.mediaite.com/print/book-battle-glenn-beck-versus-the-machine/

Several more links under the "press" section here:
http://machineofdeath.net/mentions

Chris1981
11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
My rejection e-mail showed up yesterday morning. Ah, well. :)