PDA

View Full Version : Agents that Represent Teen Writers?

AngelaT.Marie
05-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Does anybody know a few agents that will represent teen authors? I'm writing a YA Sci-Fi novel and I've heard conflicting arguments about whether being under eighteen is a instant rejection for agents, so I figured I'd ask.

agentpaper
05-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Most agents are willing to represent teen authors (probably with parental permission, of course). It's not the age of the author, but the quality of the story. My agent specifically has at least one teen author (she's not taking on anymore clients at the moment, though). But you might want to contact Hannah Moskowitz (http://www.untilhannah.com/). She was published when she was under 18, I believe.

Also, there's no need to tell them your age until they ask (i.e. there's no need to put it in the query or anything). And most of the time, they're not going to ask until they call to discuss your book and/or representation (and by then, they'll be hooked. :) )

Good luck!

AngelaT.Marie
05-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Most agents are willing to represent teen authors (probably with parental permission, of course). It's not the age of the author, but the quality of the story. My agent specifically has at least one teen author (she's not taking on anymore clients at the moment, though). But you might want to contact Hannah Moskowitz (http://www.untilhannah.com/). She was published when she was under 18, I believe.

Thanks(: I'll ask her.

Smish
05-03-2011, 03:23 AM
There's no need to even mention your age, in my opinion, until you get "the call". If an agent's interested enough to offer representation, mention at that time that you're under 18 (and will need a parent/guardian to sign the contract). Until then, your age is irrelevant.

AngelaT.Marie
05-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Haha that's true about the age hiding thing. That was my initial thought ^.^ but just in caaase.

Becca C.
05-03-2011, 03:44 AM
As long as you have a kick-ass, publishable manuscript, the age thing doesn't matter. When I had a phone call with an agent, I mentioned that I was in college. That's when she asked how old I was (19). She just said she thought that was cool, and that she knew I must be young anyway because of my squeaky child-like voice XD

inkspatters
05-03-2011, 03:48 AM
There's no need to even mention your age, in my opinion, until you get "the call". If an agent's interested enough to offer representation, mention at that time that you're under 18 (and will need a parent/guardian to sign the contract). Until then, your age is irrelevant.

This.

Also, there's no need to only target agents who already represent teenage writers (most agents, especially YA agents, seem to be okay with representing teens. It's honestly not as big an issue as people make it out to be) because that is going to limit your options significantly. The advice given to adult queriers still stands for teenagers -- that is, query widely.

Smish
05-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Haha that's true about the age hiding thing. That was my initial thought ^.^ but just in caaase.

I'm not suggesting you hide your age. I'm simply suggesting you don't bring it up until it's relevant.

I mean, a 30-year-old wouldn't include her age in her query. Why should you?

Now, as I said before, if an agent expresses interest in representing you, you absolutely must tell them your age at that point.

aekap
05-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Here's an agent's perspective:

http://agencygatekeeper.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-age-and-offering-of-it.html

I'd keep it out of the query. It's just extraneous information that can't help you, and might hurt.

xcomplex
05-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Well...If this helps, I started to query and work on getting published when I turned 14 and finished my first novel. I just turned 17 and am with my satisfactory third novel which I have revised 5 times, along with 13 other YA Fantasy novels up my pocket and 8 fulls out along with 1 revise and resubmit. Got some agents very interested, and though they are skeptical with age, it is ALL about the writing. Work. Work, and work and the earlier you start the better.

PinkAmy
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Does anybody know a few agents that will represent teen authors? I'm writing a YA Sci-Fi novel and I've heard conflicting arguments about whether being under eighteen is a instant rejection for agents, so I figured I'd ask.

You have no reason to mention your age in your query, it would seem unprofessional and deter some agents. Look at me, I'm just a teenager and I wrote a whole book... LOL, not the impression you want to put out there. ;)

The more agents who read your stuff, the better your changes. It's all in the math. You could get lucky and find someone right away, but better not to assume you will.

Agents want to represent good authors, if your query is good enough and your MS is good enough, you will find an agent. Your age won't matter once they read your work. The trick is getting them to look at what you've written though an excellent query and manuscript. Leave out your age and when you get to talk to the agent on the phone after he loves your manuscript, it won't be an issue.

sheadakota
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
agents care about the quality of your writing- not your age

Jamesaritchie
05-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I've seen too takes on age. It's usually not important, but if you're very young, or very old, your age gives you a LOT of free publicity and marketing. Fifteen year old sells fantasy novel, or ninety-eight year old sells first novel, will get headlines in papers across the country. This matters with book sales.

Other than the extremes, age just isn't important.