Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Evenin :)

I'm wondering if there are any London dwelling folk about here? Couldn't see another thread...sorry if there is one!

If there are, where are your favourite places to go in London? I've been living here for a year and a half but I know there are so many hidden places I need to discover...

For example, yesterday I found out about an abandoned railway track that's been turned into a parkland walk from Finsbury Park to...maybe Highgate...never heard of it before!

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
I'm a South East London dweller - I have to say I'm a bit rubbish at knowing where the cool interesting stuff is - I often rely on other people to tell me - but hi anyway! What sort of stuff are you interested in? Walks? Historical stuff? Clubs, galleries, that sort of thing?

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Aight.

I'm a South East London dweller - I have to say I'm a bit rubbish at knowing where the cool interesting stuff is - I often rely on other people to tell me - but hi anyway! What sort of stuff are you interested in? Walks? Historical stuff? Clubs, galleries, that sort of thing?
Hi! I'm South East too :) Umm, I love finding places that I never knew existed really - anything vaguely interesting! At the moment I have a bit of a thing for derelict buildings...I've been sneaking around building sites with my camera and getting told off for being in places I shouldn't.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
North West here :) I know a couple of nice places to write but I don't get out much since I don't have any friends in London. I've been here for a year but because of work haven't had much of a chance to socialize :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Time to organise another AW meet-up?

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Ooh I didn't know AW meet ups happened...interesting...

Not a Londoner myself (though parts of my family are, innit?), but I'm only an hour away. Lots of cool places to look at, but kinda depends on what you're interested in. I really must try to get to the Black Museum one of these days....
Hadn't heard of the Black Museum before, just looked it up...definitely going to check it out.

Has anyone been to the Museum of Everything? http://www.museumofeverything.com/
I keep meaning to, but every time I find a day when I have the time it's closed (it only opens periodically). It's closed again at the moment...can't wait for it to open again - I've been told it's really incredible.

Nice sunshine today! Off to Blackheath for a bbq...

CupidToy

<3 Metal
Registered
Reaction score
On and off Londoner here :tongue Six months in, six months out.

Favourite place to go has always been Camdem - everyone is whoever they want to be there, dressed in all different and unique kinds of ways and loads of cool hairstyles. The sort of place where you could walk around dressed as a giant apple for no reason and feel no shame.

ChinaTown is cool too - with the lanterns and interesting little shops selling cultural things you don't tend to find elsewhere.

I haven't really discovered any little hidden treasure spots - wandering away from the normal paths just tends to end you up somewhere a bit cold, damp and run-down. Better off just walking around some of the gardens really, unless cold and dank and empty gives you inspiration.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Camden is great fun (way too easy to spend money, though - I always do!) You might want to get this, too - I have a copy which to my shame I haven't used yet, but it might be a start.
There's a Lloyd's Bank in Fleet Street which has a fantastic Art Nouveau foyer, if you're into that. The Portobello Road Market is fun, too.

Some other ideas here.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Where are you living? I was born and raised in Charlton SE7, although I now live in Florida. If you are a WW2 buff the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum are a must. You also have the Maritime Museum on your doorstep complete with Nelson's uniform etc.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Evenin :)

I'm wondering if there are any London dwelling folk about here? Couldn't see another thread...sorry if there is one!

Yeah I'm south of the river. I'm a big fan of Richmond Park not exactly hidden.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Isabelle

I live in South London, work in central London so am a daily commuter!

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Went to the 'Sexual Nature' exhibition at the Natural History Museum last night. Utterly fascinating, though not for the easily shocked. And I thought humans got up to some weird stuff! I would highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in knowing more about how various species go about the whole reproductive bit, and some of the extraordinary stuff they've come up with. If you want ideas for weird alien cultures, boy, will you find some.

I must get along to another of their evening events. It was very cool and if we hadn't been so tired we'd have hung around and got a drink there. Evening drinks in the Natural History Museum! Somehow gloriously steampunk. And I always forget what an entirely fantastic building it is - a sort of joyful temple to science and discovery. So, yes, definitely a place worth going.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm living in North London. My ninja partner Geek Pride is a Londoner too. We have meetups. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
For example, yesterday I found out about an abandoned railway track that's been turned into a parkland walk from Finsbury Park to...maybe Highgate...never heard of it before!

Finsbury Park is about two minutes' walk from my house!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I went to University in London and spent a lot of time there.

My favorite places - Primrose Hill, Chiswick, Chimes Wine Bar in Pimlico. There are loads of parks all over the place and, sadly, I can remember none of them.:(

The Royal Botanical Gardens are a nice place to write.

One of my favorite restaurants was Luba's Bistro in Kensington but I think it's gone now. :(

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
South East Londoner originally, but I now live on the border of Essex. Quite a change!

Favourite places in London....Greenwich, the Natural History Museum, the South Bank and Shad Thames, Camden Market, Chinatown.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
South East Londoner originally, but I now live on the border of Essex. Quite a change!

Favourite places in London....Greenwich, the Natural History Museum, the South Bank and Shad Thames, Camden Market, Chinatown.
Yeah, I lived in various parts of South/South East/South West London in my prime, and I always liked Greenwich. Particularly Greenwich Park where you can either go to the Royal Observatory and straddle the line on the ground for zero degrees longitude and be in both the western and eastern hemispheres at the same time or take in the view of Docklands on the other side of the river via the admiralty buildings designed by Christopher Wren some four hundred years ago. Greenwich itself was also a fairly bohemian place back then, set amongst the largely Georgian architecture. The pubs were great places to relax whilst watching the river traffic, and neighbouring Blackheath was also nice because it had very much a village feel, what with the heath and all.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
I'm not far from Greenwich...it's nice, but very expensive!

And, as of a few months ago, you even have to pay to look around the Observatory now. Scandalous!

LawlessLara

South the river this time of night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.logophile.blogfiction.net
AHHHHH my fellow London folk

*KEELS OVER IN SHOCK* Can't believe you have to pay for the Greenwich observatory
*recovers... slowly*

I consider myself almost a professional South Londoner, so of course I am an Arsenal fan but there are some really great hidden places especially in South London.
North London has the expensive house prices and a few chintzy areas but Streatham has the beautiful rockery tucked away at the top of the common.
Clapham Common hosts some great events especially during the summer and London Bridge has some great outdoor art and architecture.

Samuel Johnson of Dictionary and tired of life fame spent a lot of time in Streatham, need I say any more...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
On Tues July 19th the T-Party writers group is running a 'Meet the Agent' event at 18.30-20.30 at The George, Strand (opposite the Law Courts) with literary agent Meg Davis. We are throwing this open to AWers though we will charge £5 towards the cost of the room hire.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
On Tues July 19th the T-Party writers group is running a 'Meet the Agent' event at 18.30-20.30 at The George, Strand (opposite the Law Courts) with literary agent Meg Davis. We are throwing this open to AWers though we will charge £5 towards the cost of the room hire.

This Tuesday - anyone coming along?

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Ohh no! I didn't see this waylander, I would've loved to have come. How did it go? I'd love to hear if you organise any more of these events!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Went well, no non-T-Party members showed up though. Meg talked for over 2 hours. She is setting up a new agency so is taking on clients

Status
Not open for further replies.