White eyes.

adagietto

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible for an eye to go white, or lose the colour of the iris, from an injury, rather than from cataracts or natural causes?

Have to admit, this question is mostly personal curiosity. I was watching old movies and noticed that -every- blind person has completely white eyes. In some books, too, I've noticed. Is that just artistic license?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Most people who are blind don't have white eyes. I think an injury could cause that but with modern surgery they'd probably be able to fix it most of the time.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you "lose color" from your iris, it turns red, not white. It is, however, possible for a person's eye to turn milky. While not white, it's a lightening of the color.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
A friend of mine had a cat with one white eye. The cat had gotten into a fight and been clawed by another cat. It kind of "scrambled" his eye - sorry for the unappetizing visual there. Perhaps the same thing could happen to a person?

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Severe cataracts can look white, but a milky white, not like white-out.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
There is a condition called keratitis that can occur after damage. It is an inflammation of the cornea, and f bacteria get in the wound the eye might scar over with white fibrous tissue.

(technically scar under, as the scars are under the surface).

I assume that before modern antibiotic and antiinflammatory medicine, this condition would be much more common than today.