Jane Eyre [2011]

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen this in the US?

I nearly dislocated my jaw when I saw the trailer. I see that there is a rumour it is being released on DVD before it is supposed to be released in the UK, which makes me suspect that it will end up a straight to DVD release.

Why is it every time they make a version of Jane Eyre, is Bertha white when she is Creole?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe because of political correctness? Though there are plenty of "bad white people" in the book, so I've never seen the big deal.

It's nice that they skipped most of the tedious school stuff and wiped out the big coincidence with St. John, which might not work on screen. Of course Michael Fassbender is only Hollywood Homely, but he and Mia Wasikowska are completely convincing, as is Judi Dench.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe because of political correctness? Though there are plenty of "bad white people" in the book, so I've never seen the big deal.

It's nice that they skipped most of the tedious school stuff and wiped out the big coincidence with St. John, which might not work on screen. Of course Michael Fassbender is only Hollywood Homely, but he and Mia Wasikowska are completely convincing, as is Judi Dench.

Have you ever read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys? If not, do so. Bertha being Creole is a big deal. Married for her money, but driven mad by her husband. Rochester is a nasty piece of work.

It's not so much to do with race, but what humans are capable of doing to each other.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I left in the middle of the movie. I found the performances boring.

Just saw this yesterday. I agree, the only performances that had any emotion were Judy Dench and Jamie Bell. Also the non-linear narrative and cutting killed all the tension for me.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
The 2006 BBC miniseries is worth seeking out. Ruth Wilson is mesmerising and had real chemistry with Toby Stephens.

Reaction score
Agreed. I hate, hate, hate the St. John coincidence, but the 2006 version was - is this blasphemous? - definitive for me.

Reaction score
I knew there'd be a Dalton-lover along to tell me off!

(I always said he was the most handsome Bond. Yea, even unto the Brosnan, so there.)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
To the OP: "Creole" can mean mixed race or even white. So there's some leeway as to how Bertha is portrayed.

Have you ever read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys? If not, do so. Bertha being Creole is a big deal. Married for her money, but driven mad by her husband. Rochester is a nasty piece of work.

It's not so much to do with race, but what humans are capable of doing to each other.

I enjoyed WSS for what it was, but I don't feel like it's fair to Bronte's Mr. Rochester. The Rochester in WSS is entirely Rhys's take on him. I love Bronte's Rochester and can't help but feel a little ticked off at Rhys for painting him as a villain. I feel she wrote it with an agenda. WSS is a wonderful book, though.

Just saw this yesterday. I agree, the only performances that had any emotion were Judy Dench and Jamie Bell. Also the non-linear narrative and cutting killed all the tension for me.

I have liked Jamie Bell in everything I've seen him in. I think he gave St John the weight he deserves. He's an intriguing character--not necessarily likeable, but intriguing.

Agreed. I hate, hate, hate the St. John coincidence, but the 2006 version was - is this blasphemous? - definitive for me.

Definitely my favorite version. I loved Toby Stephens. He portrayed Rochester's spark of humor and intelligence. Many portrayals are too dour/brooding, when Bronte's Rochester is actually hilarious. Ruth Wilson was wonderful, too.

Reaction score
I have to admit to wanting to hear Fass say, "Do you find me attractive, Jane?"

HELLZ YEAH. :drool

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed WSS for what it was, but I don't feel like it's fair to Bronte's Mr. Rochester. The Rochester in WSS is entirely Rhys's take on him. I love Bronte's Rochester and can't help but feel a little ticked off at Rhys for painting him as a villain. I feel she wrote it with an agenda. WSS is a wonderful book, though.

Rochester [of the novel] is a classic Byronic Hero. The differences between the books is of course post-colonialism. However, the best I could ever say of Rochester is that he is a anti-hero. When I first read it, I was disgusted that Jane went back to him, although I think he got his just-deserts being blinded.

Reaction score
Never understood why he was held up as a hero. He was a liar at best, a potential bigamist at worst. What's to love about that?

SJNew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thelanguageofimagination.blogspot.co.uk

I agree with this. WSS was a very good book but Rhyse's interpretation of Rochester is just that - an interpretation, and probably should not really be used to judge the original Rochester of Brontes's novel - unless, of course, that was your interpretation before reading WSS.

As for the 2011 version, I watched it quite recently and really enjoyed it. The only things I disliked about it was how little was made of Bertha, how few hints and foreshadowing there was, and I would have liked to have seen more of Jane and Rochester's reunion at the end. Another quibble, I couldn't help but think Michael Fassbender was a tad too young and attractive for Rochester, having grown used to seeing him played by older actors. Also, there's no getting away from the fact that he's an attractive man, so when Jane replies "no" when he asked if she finds him attractive, I found it hard to buy. Of course, it probably doesn't help that my definitive version of Jane Eyre is the 1996 version with William Hurt and Charlotte Gainsbourg. :D

Fuchsia

Mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet see a definitive Jane Eyre, but then, I haven't seen the 2006 version, so I should probably check it out.

On Rochester: All I'm going to say is, at least he wasn't Heathcliff.

taichiquan.panda

not the popular one and ok with it
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the black and white film with George C. Scott? That's always been my fav. Loved the book...and ya, Rochester wasn't a hero to me, either. The ones who had my sympathies were Jane and the wife in the attic. :)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get over how clunky the dialogue was. Admittedly I haven't read the book for years, but I don't remember wincing whenever the characters opened their mouths.

And yes, Fassy is much too young and handsome for Rochester. I was also amused by the way his Irish accent kept sneaking through, much as it did towards the end of X Men First Class ("Oi prefare - Magneto!") I'd still lick Nutella off his naked body, though. :D