novel about arresting the pope

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Anyone reading this probably knows that Hitch and Dawkins spearheaded a movement to arrest Pope Benedict, which as far as I can tell didn't work because as a "head of state," (which the job of Pope arguably isn't), he has immunity.
I'm sketching out a novel in which the guys really DO arrest the pope. Does anyone out there know (I've asked a couple of atheist lawyers, haven't heard back yet) what, if anything, would enable us to do this, and what the process would look like?
I don't think it takes a vehement anti-theist to want to apprehend the pope for his crimes, btw. Just sayin.'

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Sheltering child abusers. This is considered to be "crimes against humanity," in this case, on a global scale.
Plus I'd say other stuff he's done, while not crimes, do deserve to be apprehended somehow, like denouncing condoms to AIDS-ravaged Africa. He needs to be brought to justice.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Legally and politically, it would never fly and doesn't work as anything other than a grandstanding scheme (or a farcical novel).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, that was a systemic crime. I would expect to see it charged as a conspiracy by a group. Or, as is more usual, an inquiry and restorative justice.

MarcMcClure

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marcamcclure.blogspot.com
xNAL

but I agree that arresting the pope would never fly.

The pope is the head of Vatican City, which is recognized as an independent nation. Arresting him would open a can of worms - no head of state could ever feel safe travelling, as they would surely be disliked in at least SOME country.

So while I am all for arresting church leaders who commit or facilitate the committing of crimes, I think it would be cause world-wide chaos to arrest the pope.

Now there is an interesting novel: they arrest the pope, and the aftermath is that different nations go around arresting leaders they don't like. Maybe it starts WW3?

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
but I agree that arresting the pope would never fly.

The pope is the head of Vatican City, which is recognized as an independent nation. Arresting him would open a can of worms - no head of state could ever feel safe travelling, as they would surely be disliked in at least SOME country.

So while I am all for arresting church leaders who commit or facilitate the committing of crimes, I think it would be cause world-wide chaos to arrest the pope.

Now there is an interesting novel: they arrest the pope, and the aftermath is that different nations go around arresting leaders they don't like. Maybe it starts WW3?

Arresting Popes used to be easier. Boniface the VIII was beaten up and so humiliated that he either gnawed off his own arm or smashed in his own skull or both. And then Dante put him in Hell.

see the Wikipedia on Boniface VIII.

MarcMcClure

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah...yes...

Arresting Popes used to be easier. Boniface the VIII was beaten up and so humiliated that he either gnawed off his own arm or smashed in his own skull or both. And then Dante put him in Hell.

see the Wikipedia on Boniface VIII.

The wonderful days of yore, when people did whatever the hell they wanted.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Italy could decide to abolish the Vatican city as an independant state.

the Vatican City was granted independence by order of none other than Benito Mussolini. It was a reward for the Catholic Church's support for his coup.

If Italy were to decide to repossess the Vatican City, there would be murrmurs of protest, but nothing substantial.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Then you have the head of state problem.

The thing to do would be to fall back on the Medieval trick of setting up an Anti Pope.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you could bribe the swiss guards to overthrow him, and set up the Free Republic of the Vatican City.

MarcMcClure

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Started this like 2 hours ago and got interrupted. Sorry if it's a bit late.

The Pope could also potentially be arrested while traveling overseas.

Technically he can't. To do so would be to throw out international law. It's like the Pinochet thing: after being Chile's dictator for 20 years, torturing and killing political opponents (as well as anyone else he/they damn well wanted to) he could still move freely around the world for YEARS, until red tape was unraveled enough to allow for his arrest.

I still say write the novel as:

Terry Jones goes rogue (again) and places the Pope under a citizen's arrest. Italy freaks out and arrests US Secretary of State. France says, 'Wha-? We wont een on ziz, too!' and arrest Prince Harry for that Nazi costume thing. Incensed, ol' Liz seizes control of Parliament and declares war on France. The Germans, oddly enough, have wanted to pay France back for WWI and WWII, so they jump to France's side. The Portuguese, who have been notoriously overlooked in our latest wars, dive in on the side of England. Meanwhile, Terry has Benedict locked up in Florida, the ATF have the place surrounded. Terry holds another kangaroo court, finding Benedict guilty. As sentence is passed, Benedict opens his mouth overly wide, like a snake about to swallow a rat - only instead of swallowing, out pops Satan, shedding Benedict like old skin. He thanks Terry for opening the seventh seal. The end of days has begun.
Come on, guys ... run with it!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Technically he *shouldn't*. But once he is within the boundaries of another country they might just choose to not give a damn about international law (which in lesser ways happens quite a lot). The whole idea is a bit of a stretch but not impossible. Out of country arrests of former heads of state have happened (e.g. Pinochet).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh, I forgot, in 2009 there was an arrest warrant out right now for current Sudan head of state Omar Bashir. If he left the country they would have brought him in.

agent.grey

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone reading this probably knows that Hitch and Dawkins spearheaded a movement to arrest Pope Benedict, which as far as I can tell didn't work because as a "head of state," (which the job of Pope arguably isn't), he has immunity.
I'm sketching out a novel in which the guys really DO arrest the pope. Does anyone out there know (I've asked a couple of atheist lawyers, haven't heard back yet) what, if anything, would enable us to do this, and what the process would look like?
I don't think it takes a vehement anti-theist to want to apprehend the pope for his crimes, btw. Just sayin.'

I think the biggest question for the process is who 'us' would be in this context.

The U.N. rarely gets involved in arresting Heads of State. The only examples are people widely regarded as directly responsible for genocide. I don't think you would easily convince a large number of countries that the current Pope falls into this category.

An individual country can do it if he sets foot on their soil. But in most countries the warrant would need to be in place before the visit. I would think planned visits would be postponed/cancelled. Even assuming a nation does arrest him, how will they weather the storm of outrage? Catholicism has around 1.2 billion adherents, many of whom will be less than amused.

If you are planning this as a serious (as opposed to satirical/farcical) plot then these issues need addressed. Not that there is a problem with doing so - the fallout from the arrest could be interesting material.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Then you have the head of state problem.

The thing to do would be to fall back on the Medieval trick of setting up an Anti Pope.

I agree. The antipope is the way to go. I would have him consecrated by one of the Patriarchs of the pre-Roman Church (there used to be Patriarchs for Alexandria...)
a Copt would do.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Send Cataphracts to arrest the Pope!

Where are the Byzantines when you need them? Always using that obliterated empire excuse to do nothing.

Actually, I think Byzantine ecclesiastical authority might have technically devolved onto the Primate of Moscow.

Get a giant genetically enhanced Russian ape to arrest the Pope. Since the ape would not be human, human laws would not hinder him in the execution of his ecclesiastical errands.