Poll: How many pages is a partial?

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm guessing this is one of those doesn't-really-matter-you're-really-over-thinking-this situations, but I just wanted to do a quick poll: What would you send if an agent asked for "a partial manuscript" rather than something specific like a number of pages or chapters?

Three chapters? 50 pages? Thanks!

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I sent along the first five chapters, since it was about 50 pages.

This was pretty much the range of answers I was expecting--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow assuming something completely incorrect.

@Susan In my experience they always have, but for some reason this time they didn't. Who knows--the agent possibly just forgot to add it to the request. Either way, just wanted to make sure!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In my experience, the agent always specifies, either the number of pages or chapters. I've never encountered one who just said, "Send me something."

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I sent along the first five chapters, since it was about 50 pages.

This was pretty much the range of answers I was expecting--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow assuming something completely incorrect.

@Susan In my experience they always have, but for some reason this time they didn't. Who knows--the agent possibly just forgot to add it to the request. Either way, just wanted to make sure!

Congrats, I would have done the same thing. I've never been asked for a partial w/o specifications before either. GL!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
First three chapters, or the first fifty pages, whichever is shorter.