PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many pages is a partial?

LizzieFriend
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm guessing this is one of those doesn't-really-matter-you're-really-over-thinking-this situations, but I just wanted to do a quick poll: What would you send if an agent asked for "a partial manuscript" rather than something specific like a number of pages or chapters?

Three chapters? 50 pages? Thanks!

James D. Macdonald
04-29-2011, 11:30 PM
First three chapters or 50 pages sounds fine. Unless they have specific guidelines.

Corinne Duyvis
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd go with whichever is longer or whichever ends on the strongest cliffhanger :)

Susan Littlefield
04-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm with first 50 pages. However, don't most agents define what thier partial is?

LizzieFriend
04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks, everyone! I sent along the first five chapters, since it was about 50 pages.

This was pretty much the range of answers I was expecting--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow assuming something completely incorrect.

@Susan In my experience they always have, but for some reason this time they didn't. Who knows--the agent possibly just forgot to add it to the request. Either way, just wanted to make sure!

maestrowork
04-30-2011, 02:38 AM
In my experience, the agent always specifies, either the number of pages or chapters. I've never encountered one who just said, "Send me something."

PinkAmy
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks, everyone! I sent along the first five chapters, since it was about 50 pages.

This was pretty much the range of answers I was expecting--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow assuming something completely incorrect.

@Susan In my experience they always have, but for some reason this time they didn't. Who knows--the agent possibly just forgot to add it to the request. Either way, just wanted to make sure!

Congrats, I would have done the same thing. I've never been asked for a partial w/o specifications before either. GL!

Jamesaritchie
04-30-2011, 09:22 PM
First three chapters, or the first fifty pages, whichever is shorter.