PDA

View Full Version : This one's for my son...

JoNightshade
04-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Nothing to do with books, but I'm a super proud mommy so I just had to post this. At 16 months, my son has been really slow with the language development (too busy climbing everything in sight).

Anyway, this morning he pointed at a photo of my husband and said, "Daddy!"

I thought I was going to explode with pride.

GO BEOWULF! :D

Maryn
04-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Jo, we join you in celebration!

Maryn, glad to hear your news

elindsen
04-29-2011, 02:04 AM
Yay! Hearing their versions of words is so cute :)

folkchick
04-29-2011, 02:17 AM
That's a beautiful thing. And I know how you feel 'cause I've been there too. Sometimes hearing a word is like receiving gold. Congrats!

kaitie
04-29-2011, 05:44 AM
:D That's awesome.

Jersey Chick
04-29-2011, 06:12 AM
What's even better? The day you post to vent that he just won't. stop. talking. :D

Trust me, I tell my daughter I'll give her $50 for 5 minutes of silence. I've yet to have to pay her.

Enjoy - it's awesome when they learn they can do more than babble. :D

Xaenyth
04-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Congratulations! Your son is doing some awesome stuff.

JoNightshade
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
What's even better? The day you post to vent that he just won't. stop. talking. :D

I know, my folks keep telling me, "Enjoy the silence! Once he starts, HE WON'T STOP."

But I'll be glad when he has something to resort to other than growling and pointing at stuff so hard he shakes! :)

Soccer Mom
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Aw, congrats. Enjoy every milestone. :)

Sarah Madara
04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Congrats! Those milestones are amazing.

I wish I'd written down the strange language my first-born had. The only one I remember is "bobo" for train. We never could come up with any reason why a train would be a bobo.

It really is a precious time, isn't it? :)

heyjude
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Yay! That's fantastic! :)

Phaeal
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
CGs! And I have a child character named Beowulf, though most people call him "Beo."

:D

My mother despaired of my language skills when I entered first grade without having mastered the alphabet. (She used to throw the flashcards against the wall, as I vividly recall.) Then, one day, the teacher wrote LOOK on the blackboard, and no one could decipher it except....little old moi, who had been struck by an epiphany of how all those damn squiggles actually worked. From that moment, I always tested off the charts for language skills.

Funny how these mental clicks work.

tjwriter
04-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Ahhh!

My oldest talks almost nonstop. I know she's asleep in the car if it's quiet. My middle can talk a lot, but sometimes she chooses not too. The baby, I have a feeling he will talk early and often, too. He gives us hell in baby language now.

MsJudy
04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I know exactly what you mean. My oldest would get so frustrated when he couldn't tell what he wanted! All he could say for months was, No. So we'd play twenty-bazillion questions, me trying to guess what he wanted and him sobbing, No! Once he could string sentences together, life got so much easier. But he never did turn into the Oh, please, just be quiet kid. And now he's a teenager, and getting the words out takes every trick in my parenting book. (If you talk to me, I'll let you have the keys to the car...please?)

JoNightshade
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
CGs! And I have a child character named Beowulf, though most people call him "Beo."

:D

Haha, yeah - we tried to give him the nickname "Bear," but it didn't stick. We all call him Beo.

Which is funny because when random people ask what his name is and I say Beo, a lot of people think I'm saying "Bale." A couple of weeks ago someone jokingly asked, "So is his middle name Christian?" I said, "Uh, yeah, how did you-- oh. Ah. I see." Whoops.

Cella
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
:hooray: