STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
Is there is anyone who is familiar with
Russian terminology. What I'm looking for is;
What a 14y.o. boy would call a Asian in rural
Russia where no Asians are seen?
(near future, yell as a warning as they flee)
Can you PM me an answer.

Ah research.

Deleted member 42

You might have better luck posting in the International forum.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I'm confused. A good portion of Russia IS Asian. Literally. Over a third of the geographic area of Russia lies in Asia and the Russian ethnicity is considered Indo-European... not necessarily plain old Caucasian. If you are in some areas we consider "outlying" like, say, Siberia, the population tends to look awfully Asian.

Last edited:

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking and what Asians you mean, but I'd imagine that a Russian boy of 14 from rural Russia with little knowledge of Asians may call an Asian "chinese" ("kitaetz" in Russian). But, again, it all depends ..

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Russians would used different names for different “Asians,” including those from the former CCCR. Across Russia they have different names also… they would call a Chinese one way in St Petersburg and a different name in Vladivostok. In the big eastern cities they use slang (ex: Hunoi for Mongols) but that’s unheard of in central Russia. Different parts of the country would use different terminologies. Russia is a great mixture of people and in the ‘30s, ‘40s and‘50s there was a massive relocation program, Millions of Asian looking people live in Russia’s cities. I found many Tatars in Tomsk, for example. Large areas in north-eastern Russia have been populated with Kazaks, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, etc. Where’s your village located? Is it that far off the map that they haven’t seen Asians? If that’s the case, probably they don’t have a name for them.

RS007

Registered
Reaction score
Russians would used different names for different “Asians,” including those from the former CCCR. Across Russia they have different names also… they would call a Chinese one way in St Petersburg and a different name in Vladivostok. In the big eastern cities they use slang (ex: Hunoi for Mongols) but that’s unheard of in central Russia. Different parts of the country would use different terminologies. Russia is a great mixture of people and in the ‘30s, ‘40s and‘50s there was a massive relocation program, Millions of Asian looking people live in Russia’s cities. I found many Tatars in Tomsk, for example. Large areas in north-eastern Russia have been populated with Kazaks, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, etc. Where’s your village located? Is it that far off the map that they haven’t seen Asians? If that’s the case, probably they don’t have a name for them.

That's very true. With people from Central Asian, Russians may call them all "uzbeks". It really depends on where your story is set and which "asians" you mean.