PDA

View Full Version : Sayonara Wisdom Teeth Scum!!!

requiett
04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed and just marathoned the whole first season of House.

Now I haven't eaten in over 24 hours, haven't slept in 36 hours and my roommates have dubbed me Frankenstein with little lips (my swollen cheeks make my lips look tiny). In response I gave them the speech about Frankenstein being the scientist and not the actual monster... ha, yes, victory was MINE!

Also, if you're getting your wisdom teeth out, don't watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY459kTn32c) of the extraction an hour before your own procedure... take it from me, if I wasn't so broke, I would have paid the extra $1500 to use general anaesthesia (where you go under) instead of local anaesthesia (where you are awake but numb), and if I had not drove, I would have paid the extra $50 for nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

Probably the worst thing about the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY459kTn32c) is that it misleads you... it takes up to 30 mins... per tooth! Not less than six minutes... lol.

Anyway, anyone else want to share their own experiences, tips or random musings?

Oh, and on a final note, I bet you American's get way better pain killers too? I got nothing, just told to use the crap you can buy anywhere... I'm Australian btw.

Sarah Madara
04-29-2011, 01:38 AM
I paid out of pocket for the general. My insurance didn't cover it.

The drugs were awesome. Ah, endoset. Fantastic stuff. Still miss it. I was so sad when I ran out (long after the pain was gone. It's fun, that endoset.) Yes, it was far, far better than anything you can buy in a drugstore.

This is why I have never tried illegal drugs.

Feel better!

GailD
04-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed

I didn't know anyone had wisdom teeth in their bottom. Maybe it's an Australian thing.

Ouch. I know. It probably hurts to laugh.
Hope you feel better soon.

Caitlin Black
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I was under a general anaesthetic when I had my wisdom teeth removed, thank Goddess.

When I woke up, they gave me a cup of water. I knew the drill from trips to the dentist - you take a mouthful, swill it around, and spit out into the little arm-rest basin thing. WRONG. When I did that I got yelled at...

And I didn't even get given any drugs for the pain afterwards. So I just smoked a lot (which I wasn't supposed to do, but fuck it).

One piece of advice I have is that if you're trying to smoke after having your wisdom teeth out, be prepared for the most annoying smoking experience of your life! I couldn't suck in air properly - because my mouth was in such bad shape, I was having trouble getting suction.

And it was like that for the whole rest of day 1. It sucked.

requiett
04-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Shit. I think I just ripped out my stitches.

Caitlin Black
04-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Damn. Better go see a dentist quick smart. Usually they'll give you a contact number for such emergencies when you're in the hospital for your wisdom teeth.

Alessandra Kelley
04-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Congratulations, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I remember having my wisdom teeth out, over ten years ago. I was under general anesthesia, but I was semi-conscious anyway (I don't think that was supposed to happen). I can remember being vaguely aware of an awful cracking and thinking, "Oh, that's the lower right" , "Upper right", and "Upper left" as each one went out. But I was enough out of it that it didn't bother me.

They gave me some pills, I don't remember what, to take afterwards for the pain, but after the first dose I flushed them down the toilet. One pill laid me out flat and I could barely move and I hated it. I'd rather put up with the pain than be drugged out like that.

I had to be careful brushing my teeth for a while until things healed up, but it's good to have the blasted things gone.

backslashbaby
04-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Put ice on the swelling. My BF and mom had me all set up with ice, and yes, real painkillers. I felt great enough I wanted pizza for dinner :D

I had all 4 cut out. I tried to save $$ and not go under, but the doc laughed at me and said he wouldn't do it!

Oooh, if you are usually a coffee drinker, don't forget to drink something with a little caffeine. The surgery went/felt fine enough, but I got massive caffeine withdrawal and didn't figure out what the problem was till later.

Iced tea is great; the tannins were recommended by a different oral surgeon I had once. He actually suggested putting tea bags on the wound.

Take care! And no pizza :D

requiett
04-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Yea, they'll give me a follow up call today... if the bleeding hasn't slowed I might just have to go get it seen too. All because of a sneeze, which was caused by my roommate's cat... damn you Fluffy!!!

Oh, and Cliff, how long did it take before you could eat? Since I see you tend to disregard their recommendations (smoking, rinsing) :D you probably did it in the first 24 hours? Actually, I'm going through the printout they gave me, and they say you can't eat for 4 hours... it's nearly been 24 hours and I'm struggling to open my mouth wide enough to take pain killers... how fun.

It's interesting, the pain is manageable but the annoyance factor is unbearable.

Caitlin Black
04-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Erm, actually, I was in quite a bit of throbbing pain, so I didn't really feel like eating. I had a bowl of ice cream about 8 hours afterwards, and stuck with just ice cream for the next 2 days or so, and not much of it.

Then I moved on to noodles, because they tend to be soft and squishy, and they're one of the few foods that I can just swallow large amounts of without really needing to chew.

:)

Rubay H.
04-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Just had all four removed back in December. The whole experience was pretty horrible. They informed me afterward that my insurance didn't cover it so I had to pay it all out of pocket.
I was pretty miserable and the drugs didn't do shit afterwards. Vicadin? I think they gave me. All it did was make me extrememly nauseous - even when I took it with food. I was throwing up constantly - not good!
When I asked for something different, they told me to take Tylenol and sent me drug rehab pamphlets in the mail. lol

Oh, the bastards.

Wish you the best and a speedy recovery!

requiett
04-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Just had all four removed back in December. The whole experience was pretty horrible. They informed me afterward that my insurance didn't cover it so I had to pay it all out of pocket.
I was pretty miserable and the drugs didn't do shit afterwards. Vicadin? I think they gave me. All it did was make me extrememly nauseous - even when I took it with food. I was throwing up constantly - not good!
When I asked for something different, they told me to take Tylenol and sent me drug rehab pamphlets in the mail. lol

Oh, the bastards.

Wish you the best and a speedy recovery!

Ah man, that's so harsh. What a kick in the face, after going through the procedure thinking "I'm so glad I don't have to pay for this" only to be told "Actually, you have to pay for it all. Have a nice day." Bastards.

Throwing up would be my absolute greatest fear at the moment...

I don't even think Australia has Vicadin?

Victoria
04-29-2011, 05:14 AM
I had all four done at once. Insurance covered half the expense, and I had intervenous sedation. I woke up crying about my sister. No friggin idea why. Well, I existed on Slim Fast shakes, got dry sockets, and balled like a baby in Wal-Mart cuz I was out of pain meds. Tylenol, my ass. I would rather give birth than go through that again. Horrific.

requiett
04-29-2011, 05:18 AM
I had all four done at once. Insurance covered half the expense, and I had intervenous sedation. I woke up crying about my sister. No friggin idea why. Well, I existed on Slim Fast shakes, got dry sockets, and balled like a baby in Wal-Mart cuz I was out of pain meds. Tylenol, my ass. I would rather give birth than go through that again. Horrific.

I've heard that dry sockets are one of the most painful things... ever. Now I've probably jinxed myself...

I just pulled out the blender and made a shake. Took about 15 minutes to finish the glass, but I got there. Looks like I'll be on shakes for a while. Hmm, my protein powder tastes a little funky too...

Rubay H.
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
I've heard that dry sockets are one of the most painful things... ever. Now I've probably jinxed myself...

I just pulled out the blender and made a shake. Took about 15 minutes to finish the glass, but I got there. Looks like I'll be on shakes for a while. Hmm, my protein powder tastes a little funky too...

Dry sockets suck (so, I have heard from my mom-in-law), but they put a drop of something on it and re-pack it and the relief is almost instant - if it doesn't happen on a weekend or holiday, that is... :/

JoNightshade
04-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I got put under when I had my two bottom ones out. It was... yeah. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. Apparently I am quite sensitive to medication and I was completely loopy and nauseous for several days. All I remember (vaguely) is vomiting in the parking lot, someone coming out to give me a shot for it, my dad carrying me into the house, and then endless, endless hours moaning in bed while my mom tried to get me to eat yogurt.

Looking back, this should have told me I would not do well with the stuff they give you to "dull" the pain of childbirth. Ah, hindsight.

Victoria
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM

NO STRAWS!!!!!

requiett
04-29-2011, 08:34 AM
NO STRAWS!!!!!

Lucky I haven't used a straw in over 10 years. Never liked them. Even when I buy milkshakes, McDonald's, slurpees, anything, I ditch the straw and drink it like a...

requiett
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
UPDATE: I seem to have developed a lisp since I can't open my mouth enough to annunciate my s's...

Victoria
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
UPDATE: I seem to have developed a lisp since I can't open my mouth enough to annunciate my s's...

Aw, poor baby. I mean that. In a few days you will feel lots better, and those esses will sssslip right out. Tossing hugs your way...that help?

backslashbaby
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Awww! The few days after are freaky! I felt fine really, but I kept thinking of the form I had to sign that mentioned nerve damage. Well, parts of my face stayed numb for a while and I was scared :D

It's freaky, eh? It goes away soon :D But it can be a few days.

I don't recall what you can do, if anything, to avoid dry sockets. That was another big fear of mine. Fortunately, it all healed up very well.

I did have missing tissue back in my mouth that freaked me out a bit. That took years to fill back in. Ew! :D It didn't hurt or anything, though.

Good luck!

Rachel77
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Had all four done when I was in high school. Which means my parents were paying, and I guess their dental insurance was awesome, because I got general anesthesia.

Only one was out enough for the dentist to just pull it, and I'd gone in thinking that would be the only one I'd lose. He cut out the other three, so I woke up sore (from the stitches) and kinda bloody (from the one that was pulled), and was spitting out stitches for a week. Stiff, bloody stitches, by the way, are disgusting things to spit out.

Tips...um...drink a lot of soup? Hearty soup, so you don't get sick of it and order a pizza even though you can't really eat it yet?

Rubay H.
04-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Awww! The few days after are freaky! I felt fine really, but I kept thinking of the form I had to sign that mentioned nerve damage. Well, parts of my face stayed numb for a while and I was scared :D

It's freaky, eh? It goes away soon :D But it can be a few days.

Oh, yeah! My left side of my lip and chin stayed numb and tingly for months! It's almost back to normal - just a few tingles here and there on my lip.

requiett
04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I've just noticed that my breath has gone bad and there is a fair bit of white stuff (puss perhaps?) around the area where my wisdom teeth were removed. Is this bad? Is it a sign of infection? I'm taking antibiotics and apart from being annoyingly swollen, the pain isn't very bad at all. Also, there's been no trace of any bleeding today... so that's a good thing right?

I haven't eaten any solid foods (just shakes) and I just cleaned my teeth for the first time since the extraction.

Am I fine to wait until my follow up appointment Tuesday afternoon (it's Saturday evening now), or should I book in on Monday?

lastlittlebird
04-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I hesitate to offer you any firm advice, since I don't have any medical training aside from first aid, so take this with a grain of salt. If any of the people on here who know what they're talking about chime in, definitely listen to them over me :)

If you are becoming more swollen, or feverish, or the pain starts to increase, you should definitely see a doctor as soon as possible, because if that happens while you are on antibiotics, I believe it could be a resistant infection.

If it's just bad breath and a little bit of white stuff though, the bad breath often comes with taking antibiotics, and the white stuff could be a little bit of pus, but it could also be something else (especially since it doesn't sound like you're showing other signs of infection) like stuff from your nasal cavity, or food/toothpaste.

But if you feel nervous about it, or any of the other symptoms start up, get thee to a doctor.

I hope it all heals fast and well. :)

backslashbaby
04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe you could call your doctor. I've had many oral surgeries, and all of my docs suggest swishing warm salt water around a couple of times a day.

But I don't want to act like I know enough about it. Definitely contact someone who knows what all to look for!

Snowstorm
04-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Oy, I'm lucky. I have no wisdom teeth at all (the X-Rays showed nothing even started). Of course, that explains a lot.

Hubby had all four removed several years ago. He almost no swelling, and in a few days he was practically back to normal.

Requiett, I strongly encourage you to see your dentist. Good luck!