PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Footage

mscelina
04-29-2011, 01:12 AM
I've always tried to explain tornadoes to my cousins in Europe and some friends, but with little success. Today, in the aftermath of the horrors of the super-outbreak in the deep South, some amazing tornado footage is available that do all the explaining for me.

This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ is long--about 7 minutes--of the Tuscaloosa tornado, taken by someone who is either really really brave or really really not that smart. (In other words, unless you're a trained storm chaser don't EVER do something like this. EVER. A tornado comes at you--HIDE) But, it shows the approach of the storm to the University Mall, the tornado going through the area, and the destruction the twister left behind. This is amazing footage.

This link http://www.tornadovideos.net/component/content/article/1356 will take you to a storm chaser site (Reed Timmer's crew from Storm Chasers on the Discovery Channel; I was watching their live stream most of yesterday afternoon) and has footage of four different storms including the first incarnation of the Tuscaloosa tornado. That tornado is unique because there's every reason to believe this one storm travelled from Mississippi through Alabama and Georgia and finally died in South Carolina--a distance of well over 200 miles and maybe closer to three. The last tornado with such a long path was the Tri-State tornado of 1929.

At any rate, thought someone might be interested. The scope of this particular outbreak won't be known for a few days at least, but with a death toll nearing 300 and billions of dollars of damage from Texas and Oklahoma now to the East Coast and including the horrors of yesterday's destruction in the deep South, I think it's important that we all understand the real face of this kind of weather.

mirandashell
04-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Woh! That's... mad.

I mean, I've seen Twister (the film) a few times but knowing the above is real makes it all the more scary.

That thing was huge!

mscelina
04-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Yes, it was. And yet, this storm has been given a preliminary rating of an EF-4. The storm that hit Oklahoma City a few years back was an EF-5. The difference between the two designations is staggering. As destructive as this storm was, can you imagine if it had developed to a bigger level? *shudders*

alleycat
04-29-2011, 01:35 AM
I think I've seen enough tornadoes and floods . . .

I'm wait to look at the links.

alleycat
04-29-2011, 02:01 AM
The death toll in Tennessee is now 33.

Alan Yee
04-29-2011, 02:08 AM

:(

C.bronco
04-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Here in SC on the way to work, I heard the emergency broadcast message that told me to get out of my car and lie in a low ditch. Because no one else on the highway did so, I stayed in my car and got to work a-okay, but wondered if I had done so, after the warning had passed, how well I'd be received at work covered with ditch mud.

Xaenyth
04-29-2011, 03:12 AM
God. I have chills. What a horrible thing to watch. I feel so sorry for everyone being hit by the storms. :(

BySharonNelson
04-29-2011, 03:17 AM
That is so scary and horrid. I'm praying for everyone in the southern states and hope this madness ends soon.

tlblack
04-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Death toll in Alabama is currently 195 and still have people missing.

backslashbaby
04-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Here in SC on the way to work, I heard the emergency broadcast message that told me to get out of my car and lie in a low ditch. Because no one else on the highway did so, I stayed in my car and got to work a-okay, but wondered if I had done so, after the warning had passed, how well I'd be received at work covered with ditch mud.

OMG, I was caught with my boyfriend driving when a tornado touched down right by us. Get in the mud next time, seriously. Seeing the aftermath was absolutely terrifying (all we could see was dark and sideways rain during).

tlblack
04-29-2011, 03:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSGJ-hG4RM

This is when the same tornado came through Birmingham.

mscelina
04-29-2011, 03:37 AM
The death toll is creeping up toward 300 for the three day outbreak. The pictures of the destruction are horrifying and terrible. I grew up in Tennessee, so tornadoes have always been a part of my life. I remember the '74 super-outbreak; I was living in Manchester, TN and a tornado touched down near our school at about the same time the Xenia tornado was wiping that town off the map. This feels so much worse than that did.

tlblack
04-29-2011, 03:46 AM
It was an historic event for Alabama. Some of the areas close to me don't have the attention that the big cities are getting, nor the equipment to move the destruction. They are out with pry bars and shovels, whatever they can find to help them lift pieces of buildings, so they can see if there are any people trapped within the rubble. I live 20 miles from Birmingham, and have family in Birmingham. I'm very thankful that my family are all okay.

This particular tornado stayed on the ground from Mississippi, where it first developed, all the way through Alabama and into Georgia. The storm finally dissipated somewhere in North Carolina.

Smish
04-29-2011, 04:00 AM
I think I've seen enough tornadoes and floods . . .

Agreed. I was very happy to see the sun today.

Gretad08
04-29-2011, 05:10 AM
I have a friend who was sucked out of the sunroof of her Jeep Cherokee during a tornado, although it was 6 or 7 years ago. Seatbelt was on BTW, it was still buckled when they got her car. She was perfectly fine, save a few cuts and bruises. She was on the news for days after that incident.

Victoria
04-29-2011, 05:22 AM
I have a friend who was sucked out of the sunroof of her Jeep Cherokee during a tornado, although it was 6 or 7 years ago. Seatbelt was on BTW, it was still buckled when they got her car. She was perfectly fine, save a few cuts and bruises. She was on the news for days after that incident.

Tornados are freaky, man. I saw a news story a few years ago about a baby who had been sucked up, crib and all. He was found three miles away, sitting on the crib mattress with the crib upside down on top of him, protecting him from debris that had come down on the crib. Just freaky. And very fortunate.

Tepelus
04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Tornadoes scare the bejeezes out of me. Last year there were two that had touched down only a couple of miles from my house. My house has no basement to hide in, we have a slab foundation. If one were to come toward us I would have no where to go. I love the spring, I hate the storms that come with it.

Stlight
04-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Tepelus, we were told, if there is no basement, go to the lowest part of your house (crawl space?) if not that go to a hallway or get in a closet, or a bath without windows. At least that will keep the broken glass from you. The pulumbing makes the bathroomfirly strong.

On the weather channel they interviewed a woman in Tuscaloosa AL whose house had no basement. She heard the storm coming, grabbed the dog and hid in her closet. They lived just a few scratches from the dog. They were in her house or the place where her house had been, not much left but the closet. New bride, married four days. Her husband said nothing, I'm not sure he could.

I've heard other stories of poeple going into the windowless rooms and closests and surviving. If you can' pull a mattress over you that's even better.

Belle_91
04-29-2011, 05:53 AM

I live in Chattanooga and last night we had 3 or 4 storms. Twice we were ordered to go to lower floors. The total death toll is over 200. :( So sad

@alleycat-I saw once that you said you lived in West Nashville. I live in South Nashville, closer towards Franklin.

How bad were ya'll hit last night?

Smish
04-29-2011, 05:58 AM
My house has no basement to hide in, we have a slab foundation. If one were to come toward us I would have no where to go. I love the spring, I hate the storms that come with it.

I know what you mean. I also have no basement, so I've spent a lot of time lately sitting in the bathtub...

alleycat
04-29-2011, 06:07 AM
@alleycat-I saw once that you said you lived in West Nashville. I live in South Nashville, closer towards Franklin.

How bad were ya'll hit last night?
It was mostly rain and lightning out my way yesterday (all day). We were more concerned with possible flooding since the Harpeth runs through the area, and the Cumberland isn't far away. It was really bad here last year during the floods.

I did have some storm damage two or three weeks ago when the winds were so strong. It just about blew my front porch off.

bluntforcetrauma
04-29-2011, 06:31 AM
My youngest son and I chased one last month and took pix. Not a strong one, but photos were good. Had a hail storm pop up today. I'm horrified of tornadoes.

Alessandra Kelley
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Ye gods, that video is terrifying. My first reaction was the filmer was an idiot, but on further reflection, where could he go? With that thing bearing down on him -- and that's the biggest tornado I've ever seen, and I've been through a few -- the last place I'd want to be under those circumstances is inside a shopping mall.

The only thing to do under those circumstances is to drive hell-for-leather sideways to the tornado. That, or get out of the car and lie in a ditch with your arms protecting your head.

Did you notice the wind was so strong it cracked his windshield?

Tornadoes are not to be trifled with.

MaryMumsy
04-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Tepelus, we were told, if there is no basement, go to the lowest part of your house (crawl space?) if not that go to a hallway or get in a closet, or a bath without windows. At least that will keep the broken glass from you. The pulumbing makes the bathroomfirly strong.

On the weather channel they interviewed a woman in Tuscaloosa AL whose house had no basement. She heard the storm coming, grabbed the dog and hid in her closet. They lived just a few scratches from the dog. They were in her house or the place where her house had been, not much left but the closet. New bride, married four days. Her husband said nothing, I'm not sure he could.

I've heard other stories of poeple going into the windowless rooms and closests and surviving. If you can' pull a mattress over you that's even better.

Some years ago they had a bad tornado in Wichita Falls TX. My ex SIL's brother only had time to grab the dog and get in a closet. When it was over the only part of the house still standing was two walls of the closet he was in.

MM
who is glad to be in AZ where we rarely have tornados

Opty
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Just got my power/cable/internet back on.

It was pretty hairy around here yesterday. I think we got hit 4 different times total throughout the day? Once we thought it was over, we'd get hit again a few hours later. It was crazy. I'm in Chattanooga, TN (well, Hixson actually, which is just north of the 'Noog, and got hit harder earlier in the day), the part of TN that got hit, and there were 95,000 homes (as of yesterday) without power. The power company said it could take at least a week to restore most of it.

For those unfamiliar with the area, if you see the stuff on the news about Ringgold, GA, Chattanooga is about 15 minutes to the north.

Anyway, I'm just glad it's over. I lived in Pensacola, FL when Ivan hit and it destroyed pretty much most of the city. Driving around up here and seeing the pics my friends have sent me of Ringgold (the city is closed off so you can't really get down there right now), it reminds me of what Pcola looked like after Ivan...like a war zone or a bomb went off or something.

Two of my friends had several friends die. The guy one of my friends had just started dating died, as well. It's truly heartbreaking. I've never really seen anything like this (to this severity) up here before and I'd really rather not ever again.

:(

night-flyer
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear of all the losses due to these horrific storms.

That video was pretty terrifying, we've had more than our share of tornadoes here in the past, can't say I've seen one that big before, though. I hope things calm down and that there is no more lives lost. :(

Xelebes
04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
The tornadoes looked much more monstrous than Edmonton's Black Friday F4 in 1987 (60 killed.)

bluntforcetrauma
04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/rickjonesbyname/Other/1304176271181-1.jpg

I took this pic Thursday.

triceretops
04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Just got out of the Red Cross shelter. It's sad, we were totally hammered here in Rainsville. Many friends are dead, businesses and industry gone. No electricity going on four days now. My bank, the school and convention center were flattened. There were body parts everywhere along the highway. Our car port detached from the house and few away like a scene out of The Wizard of Oz. They have to okay our house before we return. I'm on borrowed laptop with low batteries. I'll check back later....

Tri

GailD
04-30-2011, 09:46 PM
This is so awful. I don't know what to say, other than to offer my heartfelt sympathy for the devasting loss of homes and life.
I watched on CNN as Pres. Obama toured some of the wreckage in Alabama and promised federal funds. I hope the help gets to you all quickly.

Heard on CNN that the Mississippi (forgive spelling - I'm sure its wrong) is going to flood in about 3 weeks time. Surely that's got to affect all the smaller rivers and waterways that run off it too. Can anyone be prepared enough for that?

MacAllister
04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
They've now rated the Smithville, Mississippi tornado (http://www.digtriad.com/news/national/article/173539/175/First-EF-5-Declared-From-Last-Wednesdays-Storms) an EF5.

Victoria
04-30-2011, 10:59 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/rickjonesbyname/Other/1304176271181-1.jpg

I took this pic Thursday.

You done lost your mind, dude. I woulda been digging a damn hole with my bare hands and burrowing in. Magnificent and nauseating at the same time. Glad to know you are okay. Prayers to those who were not so lucky.

Victoria
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
This is so awful. I don't know what to say, other than to offer my heartfelt sympathy for the devasting loss of homes and life.
I watched on CNN as Pres. Obama toured some of the wreckage in Alabama and promised federal funds. I hope the help gets to you all quickly.

Heard on CNN that the Mississippi (forgive spelling - I'm sure its wrong) is going to flood in about 3 weeks time. Surely that's got to affect all the smaller rivers and waterways that run off it too. Can anyone be prepared enough for that?

I second your sentiments, and you got the spelling correct. Nice job!

bluntforcetrauma
04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Just got out of the Red Cross shelter. It's sad, we were totally hammered here in Rainsville. Many friends are dead, businesses and industry gone. No electricity going on four days now. My bank, the school and convention center were flattened. There were body parts everywhere along the highway. Our car port detached from the house and few away like a scene out of/ The Wizard of Oz. They have to okay our house before we return. I'm on borrowed laptop with low batteries. I'll check back later....

Tri

I don't know what to say. May God bless and comfort all of you.

Rick

bluntforcetrauma
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
You done lost your mind, dude. I woulda been digging a damn hole with my bare hands and burrowing in. Magnificent and nauseating at the same time. Glad to know you are okay. Prayers to those who were not so lucky.

Honestly, I believe this was only a rainshaft. It popped out of a clear sky, sat there a couple minutes then vanished into a clear sky again.

BeatrixKiddo
05-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Just got out of the Red Cross shelter. It's sad, we were totally hammered here in Rainsville. Many friends are dead, businesses and industry gone. No electricity going on four days now. My bank, the school and convention center were flattened. There were body parts everywhere along the highway. Our car port detached from the house and few away like a scene out of The Wizard of Oz. They have to okay our house before we return. I'm on borrowed laptop with low batteries. I'll check back later....

Tri

My deepest sympathies for yours (and others in this thread) losses. We're glad you're at least safe and hope your home will be as well.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-02-2011, 02:50 AM
I've been horrified by the destruction and saddened by the loss... all of you who have been affected by this have the thoughts and prayers of all of us here in Oklahoma.

((((((Hugs))))))

Dangard
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
If I heard correctly, the path of the longest one was somewhere around 370 miles! That would put the tri-state tornado to shame, i'm pretty sure this one will be infamously known as the quad state tornado.
I hope everyone in the U.S. has a plan for where to go in the event of a tornado this year. I live in Colorado Springs, and people don't even take tornado watches too seriously here anymore. It's been a long time since we've seen one, but I think we will see them this year. Most people here think the mountains will protect us, but that won't happen thanks to our current weather pattern.
The mountains here are on the west side of town. Maybe once a year we end up with a storm that goes from south to north, and that's usually our only possibility for a tornado. Throughout the winter and spring, those south-to-north storms have been happening about once a week at least! I'll be ready this year, I just hope my friends and family will be too.