The Bristol Thread.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu1883

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the amazing, diverse and historic city of Bristol.

Bristol is the only city in the UK that is also a county, founded over 1000 years ago by Saxons who wanted a place to safely trade, it has been built purely for the purpose of commerce.

Then I had another thought - there are lots of places around the world also called Bristol, so why not make it a worldwide Bristol thread?!

So, if you live in Bristol, UK or Bristol, Canada or Bristol Connecticut or any other Bristol join us and say hello!

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Hi there! I don't live in Bristol, but my boyfriend does and I LOVE it - it's the city I'd most like to live in in the future. It's the perfect balance - definitely a city, lots going on, but not too big or too busy and plenty of beautiful outside places to escape to.

One of my favourite things to do in the world is walk up to the suspension bridge in the evening!

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Resurrecting this thread for a bit. My daughter is in her second year at Bristol University. First year in halls, now in a house with some friends. She loves it and I won't be surprised if she chooses to live there permanently. Just hope the job situation picks up. I hope to spend some time there next year so I'll be watching this space for possible meet ups.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I missed a Bristol thread! I spent three happy years as a student at the University of Bristol. I also wrote (am still writing) a novel set in Bristol, which helps me deal with being homesick. :tongue I have a job interview in the city tomorrow, so if all goes well, I might be able to move back there.

Resurrecting this thread for a bit. My daughter is in her second year at Bristol University. First year in halls, now in a house with some friends. She loves it and I won't be surprised if she chooses to live there permanently. Just hope the job situation picks up. I hope to spend some time there next year so I'll be watching this space for possible meet ups.

Glad your daughter is enjoying my favourite city. :LilLove:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Piece o'trivia. Bristol, Wisconsin is a rolling, rural dairy area just over the border, about an hour's drive north of Chicago. Around here it's most known for the Bristol Renaissance Fair. The pretty, wooded site with permanent structures and stages has been a renaissance fair since ... uhmm, either 1972 or 1974, I can't quite recall.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I can't believe I missed a Bristol thread! I spent three happy years as a student at the University of Bristol. I also wrote (am still writing) a novel set in Bristol, which helps me deal with being homesick. :tongue I have a job interview in the city tomorrow, so if all goes well, I might be able to move back there.

Glad your daughter is enjoying my favourite city. :LilLove:

Firstly, all the best with your novel. Bristol is the perfect setting for anything from murder mysteries to sonnets to erotica. It is that beautiful and spirited, IMHO.

I am keeping my fingers VERY tightly crossed for you, for tomorrow's interview and maybe we'll meet there next year! Fingers also crossed for your novel.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, all the best with your novel. Bristol is the perfect setting for anything from murder mysteries to sonnets to erotica. It is that beautiful and spirited, IMHO.

I am keeping my fingers VERY tightly crossed for you, for tomorrow's interview and maybe we'll meet there next year! Fingers also crossed for your novel.

Thank you! And yes, Bristol is beautiful. I tried to capture that in the book - leafy Clifton, glittering Broadmead, the students lazing on College Green on a summer's day with the fountains misting the air. (Sadly, most of it is bombed and/or set on fire by the end of the novel. :tongue)

Status
Not open for further replies.