PDA

View Full Version : Chew Your Food!!!

CaroGirl
04-28-2011, 06:10 AM
On the very day I stopped looking to the heavens and shouting, "Dear God, what's next!!" I ended up in the Emergency Room for 5 hours. A piece of stir-fry beef lodged in my esophagus, completely blocking it (I couldn't even swallow my SPIT!).

A doctor had to snake a camera through my throat and push the food down into my stomach.

The only bonus was the sedation. I'm still buzzed and am restricted from driving for 24 hours. I'm currently considered legally impaired! Sadly, my esophagus hurts like a son of a bitch. But at least I can drink water now. Man, was I thirsty!

Moral: Chew. Your. Food.

Cella
04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
:(

glad you got it taken care of!

feel better soon!

:)

Alessandra Kelley
04-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Gosh, I'm sorry! Glad you're OK.

CACTUSWENDY
04-28-2011, 06:32 AM
:Jaw: Oh my. I'm glad all worked 'out'.

Ambrosia
04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
:Hug2:

Glad you are ok. How very scary. I hope the soreness goes away soon.

Mandy-Jane
04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Ooh. And I had beef stirfry tonight. Glad I didn't read this before. Also glad you're okay.

regdog
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Glad you're okay

Captain Scarf
04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Are you allowed ice cream? I heard somewhere that ice cream was good for sore throats. Having said that, ice cream is good for almost anything.

CaroGirl
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Are you allowed ice cream? I heard somewhere that ice cream was good for sore throats. Having said that, ice cream is good for almost anything.

Yes, I agree. Ice cream is the manna of the gods.

I can now eat. I had a bowl of oatmeal this morning and I'm slurping a coffee right now. Swallowing still hurts because the instruments damaged my throat, but I'm sure I'm healing.

Thanks for the well wishes, all.

Don Allen
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
First off, I'm glad you're better. But what most people take for granted is "how to properly eat" I actually had to get instruction on how to eat food without causing my stomach to balloon like a Macy's day parade float.

Seriously, I got in the habit of wolfing down food, (being on the road) always getting something quick, I would choke, get hiccups, belch, and worst of all, severe stomach cramping and gas. I thoght, damn I must have some serious shit wrong with me, so I ended up on the hospital getting the scope from the rooter to the tooter, and on all kinds of Prevacid type anti-acid blocker doo hicky's...

It turns out, I didn't need anything, but learning how to patiently eat food, chew with my mouth closed, swallow before shoving something else down my gullet, etc. etc. Learning how to re-eat has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do because, it became so unnatural... But, I'm not on any meds, don't get gas, hiccups, or choke any more... And what I thought was acid reflux, was all related to my horrible eating and I can eat just about anything again without stomach pain, as long as I take my time....... It's really weird, who'd of thunk....

Be well and take your time CC.

Snowstorm
04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Scary stuff, CaroGirl! Sometimes we need a reminder about seemingly simple things. What a relief that you're alright.

Perks
04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
See? I always knew you were one of the unique ones. So glad you're okay!

Priene
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I nearly choked on a cheese and lettuce sandwich once. It was terrifying.

Devil Ledbetter
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
That sounds miserable, Caro. I'm glad you're okay.

Kitty Pryde
04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Ouch! So glad you're okay! If you make small ice cubes out of gatorade, they are very soothing for your throaty parts, even better than ice cream!

rhymegirl
04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Sorry to hear that, CaroGirl.

I have something called Schatzki's ring. (narrowing membrane in the esophagus). I found this out when I had an endoscopy. It means I have to chew my food very carefully or I could end up having to go through what you did.

They said I could have surgery to widen the passageway, but no thanks since something could go wrong.

I think a lot of people are used to chewing quickly because they're so hungry.

Also, I'm not supposed to eat steak.

bettielee
04-29-2011, 02:08 AM
oh noes!

glad you are on the mend! I guess mama was right, huh?

chew yer fuds!

C.bronco
04-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Ouch! I hope you feel better! (No stir-fry for YOU!)