PDA

View Full Version : The Screaming thing-

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 01:45 AM
An old friend returned last night and prompted this- every word is true (split between two posts)

I have lived out in the country or in a small town all of my life. Always thought I was familiar with the local wild life, but when I moved out into the ‘country’ country when I married my husband I learned differently.

One night, the first year we were married, we woke to the sound of screaming. It was summer, the windows were opened and with no noise other than peep frogs, toads and crickets the sound was startling loud.

At first we turned to each other wondering if we just shared the same dream when we heard it again. Impossibly loud, shrill and totally terrifying. It was the sound of a woman in trouble- screaming for her life. Again and again we heard it, placing where it originated from proved difficult as it echoed off trees and small valleys but it seemed to be coming from the woods across the small road in front of our house.
With flashlight in hand my husband and I trudged outside.

“Hello?” we called. “Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

The only answer -- that same chilling scream.

Afraid to cross the road or enter the woods we ran back to the house and called our nearest neighbor. We were concerned we might be waking them, but a woman’s life might be on jeopardy.

No need to worry, the neighbors were awake and had heard the same horrific cries. They, like us, had never heard anything like it before in all the time they lived here. We debated what to do- the cries were coming at greater intervals now and had a desperate haunting sound to them. Should we grab the shot gun and brave the woods? Should we call the police?

Could it be an animal? After all if it were a person, they could surely hear our calls. If that were true why wouldn’t they vocalize that they needed help, that they were hurt?

Before we could decide on a course of action, the screams stopped, leaving the woods eerily quiet.

mirandashell
04-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Where's the rest?

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 02:10 AM
One more post afte this-

My ever logical husband reasoned that it had to be an animal, a woman would have called for help- right?

We waited for the screams to start again sitting in the dark for nearly an hour before fatigue forced us back to bed.

The next morning we both had off from work and we decided to investigate the woods beyond our house for some clue of what we now dubbed the screaming thing. It was worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. At least then you know what’re looking for. We had no clue. Of course we found nothing – no blood-smeared vegetation, no signs that anyone had tied-up torture or killed anyone in the vicinity the night before. (Our imaginations were quite fertile by that point)
We half-convinced ourselves that that entire thing was imagined – a shared delusion with out neighbors?

Then our neighbors on the other side ( about a mile away from us) called to asked if we had heard anything strange last night?

Yes! At last, validation that we (including our other neighbors) were not hearing things go bump in the night. But these ‘far’ neighbors were also state police officers- both of them. The wife told me she had gone so far as to walk to her property line with a loaded gun and yell out- “Police! Freeze!”

She admitted she had no idea how she would locate anyone who actually obeyed her and froze. She was tempted to call it in, but what would she say? “There is something ,umm, screaming in the woods?”

He husband convinced her it was an animal, but none of us were really ever sure.
The next night the screaming thing came out again. This time it sounded closer- it sounded as if it was right on our property somewhere. Our dogs were going crazy and this time more than just my immediate neighbors called us. Just as perplexed as we were the night before- we could not find the source of the screams. Every night for the next two weeks we heard the screaming thing- My police neighbors unofficially canvassed the woods with off-duty troopers. This time they did find blood – and a woman’s shredded clothes.

Eudoxia
04-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Now there's a story to tell around the campfire
This had been going on for two weeks? I would've probably just jumped right into those woods with a flash light and baseball bat and pray that nothing attacks me.
Did they find out what happened and whose blood that was there?

Silver King
04-27-2011, 03:09 AM
An old friend returned last night and prompted this- every word is true (split between two posts)
I think what shea meant to say is that the story will be split between three posts, not two, and the conclusion will be shared with us in a third posting.

Evelyn
04-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Yikes. That's scary. I'm biting my nails, waiting to find out what it was.

KellyAssauer
04-27-2011, 03:20 AM
*Decides it might be best to do my re-writes during the day*

bettielee
04-27-2011, 03:23 AM
DUDE!!

*subscribes to thread*

bettielee
04-27-2011, 03:23 AM
I wonder if it's a fox.

Foxes make weird noises. So do owls.

Oh, I wanna know!!

Evelyn
04-27-2011, 03:33 AM
I remember reading somewhere that one of the big cats can scream like a woman. A mountain lion? A panther? A jaguar?

kayleamay
04-27-2011, 03:52 AM
I was going to suggest a fox too. I moved out the the boonies about fifteen years ago and the first night I was there I heard a horrible sound that I could have sworn was a little girl screaming. I couldn't tell for sure what direction it was coming from and I too went to the neighbors for help. They told me it it was foxes and I'd be hearing it every night. They were right.

However, the reason I had it in my mind that it was a little girl was because when I was in high school I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of screams. I looked out my bedroom window and there was a little girl standing in my backyard, clawing at her face and screeching at the top of her lungs. I ran outside with my mom and, after some subduing, we talked her inside. It turned out the little girl was sleep walking. The police came and picked her up. She lived almost ten miles away from us. Some of the things she said while still half-asleep prompted a CPS investigation.

Still, I'd take those findings over the blood and shredded clothes. Yikes.

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 04:58 AM
You guys are too smart- read on- I swear until I heard this thing I never knew these creatures could make a noise like that!

Now we were scared and a little guilty. We should have called it in that first night. Twenty-twenty hindsight and all that.

Now a very official call was placed and the woods were soon covered by police, fireman, rescue dogs and every one I knew looking for a body, or if we were lucky, a woman in desperate need, but as Robert Frost so eloquently wrote- The woods are lovely dark and deep-

There were more than 3,500 acres to search and other than the initial blood and clothes nothing more was found. For awhile the woods were quiet. No missing persons had been reported and the police could detect no foul play. The clothes were determined to have come from an abandoned hunting cabin near by and the blood belonged to an animal not a human. But that still did not solve our mystery.
Weeks went by and we thought we would never know what made that awful sound. We asked park rangers who told us it might be porcupines mating- (not funny- I actually believed them).

Eventually we put it behind us but I always wondered. The about a year later- yup we heard it again. This time it was the loudest we had ever heard it. It sounded like it was right outside our bedroom window. And it didn’t go away.
So armed with flashlights and a camera, we snuck downstairs and listened- there it was in our driveway. My husband turned on the spot light and there standing no more than five feet away from where I was on my deck was a tiny gray fox!

At first I thought it could not be our screaming thing- it was too small to make such a horrible noise but as if to prove me wrong that little fox looked right at me –
And screamed.

I took pictures and then I tried to scare it off, I wanted it away because to tell the truth it scared the crap out of me, it looked possessed( even though I am reasonably sure it was NOT rabid).

My husband came out to look and screaming thing did not budge. It was a nervy little thing- even when my two big dogs came after it, it held its ground and screamed at them. A eighty pound shepherd and a seventy-five pound husky tucked tail and ran back to us- Brave heart they were not.

Eventually Screaming thing tired of annoying us and slinked back into the woods. It took some convincing to make our neighbors believe us, but through out the next few weeks they too saw our little fox with the big mouth.
We saw him again the next summer ( or a relative). But after that the Screaming thing was heard in our woods no more.

Until last night.
Three in the morning we heard him. Yowling for all he was worth under our bedroom windows. Our dogs we have now have never heard him and put up quite the racket. Screaming thing just kept screaming.
My husband and I just smiled. The screaming thing had returned. I wonder what time he will wake us up tonight?

bettielee
04-27-2011, 06:34 AM
omg... we are smart!

That's a good story, tho! :)

kayleamay
04-27-2011, 06:43 AM
*high fives Bettie*
:D

JayMan
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
That was actually one hell of a story!

Also, good to know in case I ever stay in a house deep in the woods.

RNJ
04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Never heard a fox scream like that. Had two racoons fighting in my chimney once. I think they were fighting.

NoGuessing
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
You're in a horror movie. Remember the shredded clothes and blood? Ten bucks says the fox did it.

fourlittlebees
04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Gah. Now I'm freaked out. They are vicious little things, though... neighbors had a mother and kits in the backyard, and she kept finding squirrel parts mama had apparently judged weren't good enough for the kits to eat. *shudder*

heyjude
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Creepy story! All you brave people who did/would have gone outside with a flashlight... ::shudder::

JimmyB27
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
You're in a horror movie. Remember the shredded clothes and blood? Ten bucks says the fox did it.
The first screams were the woman the fox ate alive. The subsequent screams were the fox covering its tracks.

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Screaming Thing was a no show last night due to severe thunder storms- what a wus.

My city sister stayed with me a few years back when screaming thing was doing its thang- it scared the crapola out of her- she hasn't stayed with me since- go figure:tongue

when it was here two nights ago, it scared my 185lb English Mastiff to the point where he was shaking and peeing in the house! My Boxer/shepard mix, on the other hand wanted to go out and kill it- at least I have one brave dog! (The Chocolate lab hid under the bed) My horses couldn't have care less.

heyjude
04-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I was curious so I YouTubed screaming fox and found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPg7_nyoBc). Yeah. This is what we heard about ten years ago when we moved into our first house, amplified by about five. We thought the woods were haunted. I didn't sleep for a week.

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 04:53 PM
YES!!! that's my screaming thing! Now imagine that echoing through the woods. At night.

stormie
04-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Glad I read this during the daytime. And the sun is shining. I'm such a wuss.

sheadakota
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
here's another one-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_10eXj0SmIc&feature=related

heyjude
04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Wow, check this guy out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIR8RtI9kaw&feature=related). Amazing. What gorgeous animals.

Someone stop me from wasting my entire day watching foxes on YouTube!!! Shea, this is all your fault!

mirandashell
04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
We had foxes here a couple of years ago. And yeah, the screaming is horrible!

But what I love most about fox calls is the tracking call. The one they use when they want to know where their mate is.

It sounds just like: 'Oy Oy!' Then you hear the call back: 'Oy Oy!'

I swear that is what it sounds like.

JimmyB27
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
We had foxes here a couple of years ago. And yeah, the screaming is horrible!

But what I love most about fox calls is the tracking call. The one they use when they want to know where their mate is.

It sounds just like: 'Oy Oy!' Then you hear the call back: 'Oy Oy!'

I swear that is what it sounds like.
Sounds familiar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oy_%28Dark_Tower%29).