Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm opening this thread to announce even more Lulu love.

In addition to everything else they're already doing for us, they're donating 25 copies of the book for us to send to media outlets... and they'll even ship the copies for us.

They're offering to feature us on the main page of the site.

One of the coordinators is offering to meet me in NYC this weekend.

I just can't tell you how amazingly wonderful they are.

I always knew I liked how straightforward Lulu is about its services, but now I know that there are some real angels running the company, too. Those who are writing blog posts about this project, please remember to include a thank you to Lulu... they deserve any good press we can give them. They're going way above and beyond for us.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Jenna. Shake their hand(s) for me when you meet them in person. Aw heck, give 'em a hug too.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
You ever have one of those moments when the goodness of humanity just overwhelms you and you have to cry? I'm having one of those moments.

I just spoke to Tonya from Lulu for 45 minutes. First off, she spent the first 5 minutes thanking me for bringing her this great project, telling me how much fun it is to work on this. We talked a bunch about how she loves working at Lulu and seeing them build something great. I told her about how we always mention Lulu here as the most honest POD company-- that we admire how straightforward they are.

She asked what she could do to help us. She's been trying to find out how to get into alternative distribution markets, but there's a long approval process. They already submitted our ISBN data, so she thinks that bookstores will have us listed in their databases in about 2 1/2 weeks. They designed a storefront for us, and that'll be live on Halloween. They set up a separate link to order review copies at a discounted rate.

Then she asked if we were interested in having a few authors do podcasts-- reading their SoS essays/stories/poems, and they'd host it on the site. She's still thinking up interesting ways to help us promote. And she kept adding things like, "If you ever need us to send something overnight, don't worry about asking too much of us. We want to help. We can include your press release, or media kit, or anything you want to send... just tell us what you need."

She gave me her mobile phone # and we may meet up in the city this weekend, really just to hang out and talk some more. In the midst of all this, I said to her, "So, what can I do for you?" She paused a second and said, "Nothin'."

I said, "No, really. I have this great newsletter for writers, I write for Writer's Digest... I feel like I'm in a good position to help. Tell me what to do for you."

But, no. She really didn't want anything. Told me that she felt like there was a purpose here-- that every time she does something like this, there's a reason, a lesson, something. She wants to be involved because it's a great project, not because it's a smart PR move.

I've felt that way myself about so many things. I always feel like there's a reason I was "led" to each project I've worked on. I told her about my agoraphobia and about how I nearly cancelled at the last minute before I went to Vegas to interview Celine the first time... I was scared out of my mind. Had been on a plane once in 8 years and it was a disaster. Part of the reason I was "led" to that project, I think, was to help me tear that fear to shreds. (And as a reward, I got to meet and befriend one of the nicest celebrities in the world.)

Anyway. All I can say is that they're for real-- I'm sure of it. They're devoting manpower and resources to this project for no other reason than that they believe in us and want to be a part of something great. It was kind of funny listening to us try to out-thank each other. I felt like I just met a kindred soul. Pretty amazing experience.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna- Thanks so much for sharing this. I have goosebumps on my skin and tears in my eyes. What great people. Seriously, give her a huge hug for me :)

Sara

Lady of Prose

Member - the "Sting Gang."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not part of SOS, but I want to once again thank all of you who are. And thanks, Jenna, for sharing Tonya with us.

Sounds like two neat people have crossed paths.

The more I hear about Lulu, the more impressed I am at their integrity level. I hope they go to the highest level they can attain for what they do.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty amazing. Connecting with people who are genuine in heart - you just know...

Thanks to all of the wonderful people at Lulu! :Clap:

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
They're devoting manpower and resources to this project for no other reason than that they believe in us and want to be a part of something great. It was kind of funny listening to us try to out-thank each other.

There's never too many thank yous for an inspirational project going towards a great cause.

So, I'd like to add a few of my own:

Thank you Lulu!
Thank you Jenna!
Thank you all contributors (those with their stories, and those with their support)!
Thank you editors (I don't know you all)!
Thank you AW!
Thank you Orson Scott Card, Rachel Lee Hatcher, and Wil Wheaton!
Thank you everyone too numerous and some too anonymous to name!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

(And I've finally had my Oscar moment :) )

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Lulu is absolutely incredible.

So is everyone who contributed to this project, be it by submitting to the book, helping with costs, or just telling people they know about it.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, I will certainly give LuLu its due in the pr dept...
:snoopy:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
I am personally impressed by the fact that I ordered three copies on Friday afternoon and received them (technically) by noon yesterday at my rural residence. I wasn't home so the Federal Express driver is going to deliver them to me today at work in the city. I called, to be certain that I was receiving it b/c it blew my mind that I received it so quickly I ordered the Express delivery--boy, they weren't kidding! Anyway, I thanked the person on the phone at their print shop over and over for their efficiency. Reading about your conversation with Tonya, Jenna, I am just so moved by their personal involvement and eagerness to spread this project. There was the risk right from the first spark in your eye that any book might not make its mark as much as we work on it to be. But SoS has found its groove and its obvious that it is just the beginning rumble on the horizon, promising to breakthrough as a thundering swell of benefits to hundreds of thousands, whether through donations or through the spread of inspiration. I am so proud of all of us...every single person, from the girl who wrote about needing strength to the guy who put it in his blog, to the girl who mentioned it to her friend in a crowded elevator, to the guy who pushed the button on the full-colour printer. We all have been a small piece in a magnificent puzzle.

No amount of thanks, no amount of hugs, no amount of tears can honestly express what has happened these last two months. Absolutely phenominal!

Thank you, Jenna, for starting the rumble.

Kim

CharmianChristie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charmian-christie.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Then she asked if we were interested in having a few authors do podcasts-- reading their SoS essays/stories/poems, and they'd host it on the site.

Wonderful to hear you're having such a positive experience with Lulu. I have no idea how to record a podcast, but would be willing to volunteer to read one of my pieces. I assume some technically minded person can walk me through the steps should the need arise?

Thanks again for your hard work on this project. I can't wait to get my copy.

Charmian

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna told me late yesterday she'd had a wonderful conversation with someone from Lulu and that she was going to post something about it.

This is more than I expected, and I already knew what great folks Lulu has working for them. Jenna, tell Tonya she's left a forum full of talented writers at a loss for words.

And pass along lots of :Hug2: and :kiss:

PS -- I too am there for the podcast idea. And does anyone else feel like....

circle.gif

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be up for a podcast, as well, if my essay would warrant that. Or anything else I can do, up to my due date.

It's so incredible to see the faith pouring out of other people regarding this book!

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Podcast here I come... what ever you need Jenna....
I am feelin da love.............
mountain style of course....
dancing naked in the streets.....

:snoopy:

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful News Jenna. Thanks for sharing. I am touched by this whole experience. Thanks for the opportunity.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so wonderful to hear about Lulu. I'm pretty sure I'll do my poetry book with them as they truly give of themselves. Thanks so much for all you do, Jenna and everyone else involved in SOS. :Hug2:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jenna -

That's just outstanding all around. I'd love to do the podcast thing even though I hate the sound of my voice, and I'm afraid I'd cry! Maybe I should get my son to read it? lol

Here's what I put on my blog to send kudos to Lulu, but I'm sure it won't be the last nice thing I have to say about them. Bloggers I don't even know have actually lifted my entire post and put it on their blogs! I found one that did that last night just after I'd posted it. Wild.

http://writeslikeshetalks.blogspot.com/2005/10/lulu-answers-sos-and-then-some.html

Status
Not open for further replies.