Biochemistry/Medical Question regarding a few common neurotransmitters

tiptoetwirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a supernatural crime thriller and I'm trying to realistically depict a crime scene in which, at the time of death, the victim had elevated levels of adrenaline/epenphrine, dopamine and serotonin.

I know that the combined physiological effects would have been elevated heart rate and blood pressure as well as some nausea or emptying of the bowels in the case of adrenaline and also dopamine. I know that dopamine produces feeling of well being and I couldn't find a whole lot on serotonin other than that most of it is produced in the gut, that it's present in insect venom and causes pain upon injection into the bloodstream and also increased bowel movements when it's found in seeds and fruit.

What I would like to know is if there are any other physiological symptoms? I know that pupils will probably be dilated but what else? Is there a smell like when diabetics produce too much insulin? Discoloration of fingernails or patches on the skin?

I know this is probably a tricky question but any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We don't really know half of what dopamine and serotonin do--and their actions are regulated by the down and up-regulation of diverse receptors more than gross amounts.

That said very high levels would cause raised body temperature, higher heart rate, disorientation, and eventually seizures and death.

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Excess dopamine would likely result in psychosis (e.g., hallucinations, delusions) -- prior to death, obviously. You might want to google "serotonin syndrome" for some possible symptoms, as well.

Good luck,
~STS~

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I had an accidental OD (because of an unusual metabolism of the drug) of a tricyclic antidepressant and fell into a coma. I've read about other cases with this drug where the folks had the same reaction and died.

Other than what's mentioned above, I'd say that there was a lot of vomiting in my case. And weakness (then I passed out; it was weakness of the 'passing out' sort).

So a victim may have obvious signs of having vomited frequently before death.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The effects of the neurotransmitters vary in the same person at different times and, as veinglory says, we don't know the half of it, yet.

Serotonin can make you sleepy, for example, or affectionate, or highly active. The drug ecstasy causes the release of greater than normal quantities of serotonin. Afterwards (although there is no afterwards for your character!), ecstasy users sometimes report mild depression, presumably because their serotonin reserve is depleted. (Depending on whether you accept the role of serotonin in depression, or not.)

Elevated dopamine can lead to paranoia-like symptoms where you make connections between unconnected ideas, events, etc. It also has a role in the reward system of the brain.

I think for the most part the amounts of the neurotransmitters in a murder victim's system would be established at post-mortem and wouldn't be obvious at the crime scene.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I'm writing a supernatural crime thriller and I'm trying to realistically depict a crime scene in which, at the time of death, the victim had elevated levels of adrenaline/epenphrine, dopamine and serotonin.

Why exactly do you want to have all these three substances increased?

What I would like to know is if there are any other physiological symptoms? I know that pupils will probably be dilated but what else? Is there a smell like when diabetics produce too much insulin? Discoloration of fingernails or patches on the skin?

Symptoms of high adrenaline: pale skin (due to constriction of the skin arteries), dilated pupils, increased heart rate and breathing.

Symptoms of high dopamine: increased heart rate and blood pressure, feeling of pleasure (cocaine and amphetamine, for example increase dopamine secretion)

Symptoms of high serotonin: increased heart rate, sweating, increased body temperature, nausea, vomiting, muscle twitches, overreactive reflexes, headache, agitation, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Search for serotonin syndrome (which can result from overdose of certain antidepressants, ecstasy, LSD, amphetamines, opioids [hydrocodone] or cocaine).

Specific smell, nail discoloration or skin patches are not likely consequences.

All three substances would be increased after ecstasy, cocaine or amphetamine use (overdose).

Last edited:

tiptoetwirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, everyone!

veinglory - thanks for the info about their regulation and also that even elevated levels won't be picked up in an autopsy and I'm assuming that replies to regular tox-screens as well.

strictlytopsecret - the psychosis info has come in handy as well, thank you!

backslashbaby - I'm sorry that you're speaking from experience but the information will be invaluable in writing the crime scene. Thank you!

boron - The victim is attacked by a succubi and I know that all three substances are involved in hormonal aspect of attraction and that's why there are elevated levels of all three.
Thank you for your information, it will go a long way towards painting a realistic picture.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
No problem! I'm happy my situation turned out so well in the end, so no worries :)

If your story isn't an acute case, my story may help you there, too. I was walking around with strange physical and mental symptoms for over 2 months. No dopamine elevation in mine, I should mention. It was serotonin and norepinephrine.

If it's acute, that's just like it sounds above from everyone, I think.