Victorian England? Anyone?

jkababy

Children, ready yourselves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkabay.com
How did people get from Dover, England to Calais, France in Victorian times? Ferry presumably? How do I find out about this trip? This vessel? How long it took?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on their social standing and which time in Victorian England. That is Victoria reigned from 1837-1901 and there were many changes in the transport systems - so which bit of Victoria's long reign?

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
If you are seeking information about ordinary daily-life details for the Victorians, there's a great book called What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew. It discusses the details you'd need to know to understand references the Victorian British would take for granted when reading contemporary novels. I do recall one chapter that talked about transportation, mainly railroads, but I think there was a bit about ships and ferries, too.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah, you can hardly get a ship across the Channel without running down a few swimmers....

jkababy

Children, ready yourselves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkabay.com
What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dicken Knew is brilliant and helping very much. It even has a chapter on orphans which totally helps my cause as well.Thank you again for the suggestion.