Accident Murder (Fall Down Stairs) Plus Civil War Gun

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm finalizing a plot and could use some help ironing out the finer details.

It's a "push down the stairs with a final death blow to the head" theme (been done, I know, I'm creating my own version). The main plot is solving the murder.

My question is, I'm trying to set it up that the dead dude at the bottom of the stairs is said by the cops and autopsy report to be an accident (stairs are wood, he broke the banister on the way down, blunt force trauma to the head is cause of death). Murderer does push him, but also picks up an object to strike at the end. The item (see below) is wood as well, so the head blow can be made to look like he struck his head hard on the broken banister on the way down.

Proof is going to be finding the murderer with the possession of the particular object (an art piece) that has DNA (why don't they ever burn or destroy these things?) along with a list of other clues for motive and opportunity.

My question (finally!) involves with the police investigation regarding accident or murder, or how would the police handle falls down the stairs and what I might need to keep in mind regarding what is realistic for the police to consider? I know they might try to re-piece the banister back together, perhaps taking prints and checking alibis to make sure this guy was really alone and not with someone. (Murderer has a paid alibi.)

Murderer will be one of about three initial subjects that knows the person so fingerprints from all three will be there but doesn't prove one way or another as they were there all the time with the guy (before he died). So the stairs and banister would have shoe smudges and finger prints from all three potential suspects who can be accounted for.

For the art piece, it's an old Civil War pistol with a wooden handle. This is taken from the residence after the murder (the whole thing is not premeditation, the guy was angry, and trying to stop victim from tattling on him for something else). He tosses it in his car trunk, but then later forgets he did this (he was in a panic, most of that night is a blackout for him) and often goes back to look for this item he thinks he lost).

I'm unfamiliar with Civil War pieces but I know a lot of those items have wood handles. I was thinking he didn't shoot him but used the butt of the gun to hit the guy over the head. The final blow might be played off as a hit on the head by the banister on the way down. Since the gun piece is missing, and the banister is broken and right there, that a coroner may suspect it to be the banister, not suspecting anything else.

Or am I just sucky with this one and need a new direction? All of this happens off stage before the story starts, but I want to cover my bases to make sure the plot later to uncover this isn't unbelievable. Help is very much welcome. :)

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I am not a cop or a CSI guy, but the wound on the head would be very different if caused by a pistol butt (much smaller) than if caused by banging on a thick bannister.
That's always assuming there are no wood splinters in the wound itself to compare with the bannister. Of course, a piece of polished wood might not provide any anyway.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I believe that pistol grips of the civil war era were largely metal, with wood pieces attached to them to improve grips, much like modern weapons. (except now its usually plastic)

Most civil war pistols were revolvers, which were a thouroughly industrialized product.

To get a pistol that's basically a big piece of wood with an iron barrell strapped to it, you'd have to go back to the war of 1812 era. It would be a single shot flintlock pistol. And even those generally had a brass cap at the end of the grip, for more efficient bashing.

Civil war rifles were a different story. Their stocks were all-wood.

I also suspect the coroner would look for blood, skin and hair on the bannister, before concluding that it had caused the lethal blow.

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I can easily change the gun type to an 1812 model or earlier, making sure it's a wooden handle. :) I thought Civil War would be far enough but I can push it back.

Any help with gun wood type? I've heard walnut but trying to get a common wood to match with the banister (possibly, undecided on that yet).

As for the wound that it would cause, would the smaller strike with the gun piece after a blow to the head against the banister, could that be detected if it's in relatively the same place? After the fall the murderer deals the final strike to ensure he's dead, although I believe the fall would have killed him eventually if left alone for hours without rescue (which is true).

Thanks for the help. :)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Walnut was a very popular species for gun stocks.

Napoleon planted walnut trees next to all the rural roads in France, to make them shady and more pleasant to travel on, and to create a source for musket-stocks.

Nowadays, walnut trees are not used for guns, but France's shady roads are still pleasant.

I recommend you do a google image search for various guns. the Colt Revolver was a typical Civil War pistol.

As for the CSI stuff, I admit I'm not an expert. It just seems that matching the wound to the bannister is the obvious first step. (ho ho ho!)

Something just occurred to me: it is quite likely that the bannister and the pistol, while being the same species of wood, would have very different sorts of VARNISH, if the pistol is a 200 year old antique, and the house is newer.

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Walnut is apparently a popular choice for wood staircases apparently. :) (After search online) Expensive, too.

The walnut will be similar enough, I hope that while one is old and the banister is new, it might be just enough for a new coroner to not know the difference, if a splinter should occur.

Good to know. :)

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I have to wonder, if the police didn't suspect foul play, how in-depth would the coroner go? Would he just see the blow to the head, look at the police report saying the guy was alone and hit his head on the bannister, and rule it an accidental death without probing too much into it?

I have no idea for sure, but I wouldn't think a lot of resources would go into investigating this kind of thing if everyone basically agreed it was accidental, unless the family pushed for it or something.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My initial impression is that the banister could not have been much good. I find it hard to imagine it being broken easily. It's not impossible, but he would have needed to be going at a fair lick and the other injuries from the stairs would be extensive.

A couple of other comments. If he went head first down the stairs then he would have gone head first into the banister. Wood is usually varnished (or painted), so splinters are unlikely. It is then academic whether he was bashed with something metal unless the police suspect murder and drag forensics into it.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I am very hopeful that given that both objects are wood, that the final blow won't be discovered due to it being the same material. I'm going to guess that if a metal object was used, it'd look different (deeper? more square?) than a wooden one.

If they're both varnished with no splinters, it'll make my part easier when writing. Piecing together splinters was a stretch but bases covered just in case. :)

I'm thinking with the police, with the wooden banister and the position afterward, that they won't suspect foul play, but might check up on if anyone was there and make sure the wounds are compatiable with that of a fall (which they will, he fell from the top, tumbled down). That's the limitation, and since no one was suspected of being around, a fall would be assumed as an accident. (Only the main character suspects differently.)

So I can clean up the splinter mess and detail the gun a bit at the end and it'll be OK. :) (As close to realistic without getting too complicated, at least.)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has good general information about gun grips. We gun guys and gals get a lot of kidding about being too detailed, but in your specific case, you seem to need more details.

It’s true most muzzle loading pistols of the pre-revolver era had all-wood stocks. The more expensive had metal caps fitted on the fore end (front of the stock) and butt (bottom of the grip), but cheaper models were often all wood. Those will work for your blunt object.

It’s also true most Civil War era revolvers (and to this day) had metal frames onto which grips of wood or other material could be screwed. They’re mostly referred to as "grips," not "handles" (yes, that’s the sort of equivocations we gun enthusiasts get eye-rolls for).

However number one: Several older Colt models of the 1800s were fitted with all-wood grips. The first generation Colt Model 1873 was one that comes to mind.

However number two: Today, for instance, Ruger makes several models of the GP-100 and SP-101 with a metal post grip system. Shooters with the smallest to the largest hands may order special custom made grips of rubber or wood, which fit completely over the post.

These may be of any material you want – even custom made from the same wood as the banister. Here’s a sample:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VUL5P8/?tag=absowrit-20

I hope this added detail gives you some options.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Investigation is a lot different when there is a dead body from when there isn't one. But this can go either way.

As far as fall dynamics go, let's assume that the stairway is straight. Question is whether the upper approach is from the left, the right, or straight on. Further question is whether the landing has a wall opposite it.

Relatively speaking, a body falling down a stair goes in a straight line. Assuming you approach the stair in a straight line, your fall will be straight down the middle of the stairs. However, if you fall on the first step and are approaching from one side or the other, you'll start your fall at an angle from the straight line of the stairs, going in a direction opposite from your starting point. (You might need to go to a set of stairs to visualize this.)

Each time you hit (bounce), it will throw you a little bit off of a straight line. Further impacting this is weight, body size, clothing, and soberiety/consciousness. Bottom line is that you can calculate this all out with some degree of scientific certainty (not by me). However, short version is that although it is possible that a head hit on the banister would be fatal, it is not probable. Angle of impact would be glancing, and would require a significant amount of other damage. Most likely a turn in the stairs would be required.

However, if you put a hat/coat stand at the bottom of the stairs, that would be much more likely to cause a fatal head wound. Speed at the bottom of the stairs would be the fastest of the fall. Further, breaking the hat/coat stand would highlight what happened. I would find it much more believable that a banister.

Investigation level would really depend upon the police. But a lot of this can be calculated and would be compared to the body. It would take several days before the police would be ready to move, however. Initially my guess is a lot of pictures, a lot of measurements, a lot of questions, and then wait for the results.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Thanks so much! Using a Colt or an old 1812 gun would work just fine. :) I'll be sure to describe the grip as such, too.

And thanks, Jim, for the thought of a coat rack or something similar. This guy likes a lot of art and antique furniture, so having an additional coat rack or other furniture there could work out for the better, plus give it something that may disguise the fact that a gun grip was used after.

As for the police, I won't be having them 'on stage' but the details of how they came to the conclusion of accident are important to my character who will know most of what they said. Not to put cops in a bad light, but to show that with a lack of evidence to prove otherwise (alibies for all suspects and no obvious foul play involved) the ruling of accident was all they could do.

I've heard lots of people complain that they hate when characters will hit someone over the head with the barrel or the grip and then they always manage to knock the guy out. :) I'm hoping my barrel to the head thing will be enough to actually kill the person.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the house itself could add to the deception. Is it an old house, in keeping with the antiques etc? If the stairway seems a little dodgy, maybe the proportions of the steps are not up to modern codes, or the treads 'give' a little as the police go up and down, or the remains of the handrail seem wobbly, (all problems I've had in houses) the police may give more credence to the 'accidental fall' theory. Maybe there's that nice old carpet-runner on the stairs that's not quite securely fastened down.