• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Love Story Featuring AW's Own (Alphas and Betas Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
In December of 2010, I had my first major success after 15 years of trying: A sale of a memoir piece to Salon.com. I got along very well with the editor who published me. She coaxed me into putting aside the novel I was working on and tackling a memoir. She put me in touch with an agent impressed by my piece, who wishes to read the memoir when it's done, and this editor has also very generously offered to read my memoir when I finish writing it. I'm also probably going to try and get the last chapter of the book published on Salon, though I have to wait for that chapter to actually happen to me--It's going down in a little over a month!

So, this is a huge opportunity for me. In fact, I can't help feeling all my suffering and slaving over my prose has led up to this, so I definitely don't want to blow it.

For the subject of my memoir, I've chosen a romance: Around 2005, I became acquainted with Celia Cyanide. We were both frequenters of AW. I have intense OCD and was a virgin when we met. Hell, I'd only had one girlfriend, ever, and only kissed her three times in two years. Then I met Celia, who's my exact opposite as far as sex and socialization are concerned. We corresponded (flirted) over the Internet for a year, then I defied my OCD and sexphobia and went to be with her, forever. It was, and continues to be, quite an adventure. Essentially, this will be the tale of a neurotic misfit overcoming his mental illness with love. I'm tentatively calling it, "Lantern Jack Hearts Celia Cyanide".

I've already penned a 22,000-word outline (remember, I have OCD). Despite having written, and re-written, my first chapters over a 100 times (like I said, OCD), I'm still dealing with a lot of uncertainty, and, generally, a lack of confidence in my narrative.

I have several earnest requests:

1) I would like to show an alpha or two (or three) the first chapter, to see if the story generates enough interest that I should continue.

2) I also need some long-term commitments from two or three betas who would be willing to read each chapter as I finish, and comment, constructively criticize and encourage.

3) I need an Oreo Ice Cream Bar (low-fat). I think I might be able to handle this last request myself.

So, there it be, ladies and gents, an open casting call.

Anybody dare to bite?

And thank you all so very, very much!

Last edited:

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Hey LJ. I can swap first chapters with you if you want, as long as you realize that I have never beta'd a memoir before. My email is prestonbecker AT hotmail dot com.
Prawn

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I don't read memoirs, I'm not your go-to person--but I'll get you that Oreo ice-cream bar. I remain delighted that you found one another.

Maryn, all "Aww..."

elisadasilva

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Lantern Jack, I have wandered the wilderness for six years now and returned, starved and broken. Your promise of your oasis of words has revived me. I beg you, on skinned knees, to let me read!

Status
Not open for further replies.