PDA

View Full Version : Beta reader (short story) - evaluate cultural appropriation?

plunderpuss
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a 4,800-word contemporary fantasy short story that makes use of a real setting and the character comes from a real culture.

I don't need a critique as much as I need a "How offensive is this?" evaluation, and if I am scored poorly, maybe a little direction on how I can screw up less. I'm actually fairly aware myself--but that's why I know I should have people evaluate it XD haha I have a very thick skin, especially since obviously you're trying to help me, so no need for handholding. I don't care if you're PoC yourself as long as you're well-informed on the subject (I'm lookin' at you, Wiscon attendees! You get all the best panels).

I can offer a crit in return. I'm heaps of queer, haha, so if you happened to have written a LGBTQ character, maybe I can do the same for you? If nothing else, I copy-edit for a couple small publications/presses, so I can comb your work for errors. :)

If you're interested, you can e-mail me at [my AW username]@gmail.com, or respond here. Thank you!

Polenth
04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Which culture?

plunderpuss
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Which culture?

The Tarahumara (Rarámuri) of northern Mexico.

Sorry, I just realized how silly it is I didn't list it! I guess I just figured it doesn't matter... If my research is valid, the Tarahumaran people aren't really big on Western media, so it's unlikely that I will offend them directly. In a way, this is a bit like writing about the Amish.

My beta reader doesn't need specific experience with natives of Mexico so much as they need specific knowledge regarding "ways dumbass white people clumsily handle fictional representation of real non-Western cultures."

backslashbaby
04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I know some folks who know the Tarahumara, if you'd like to send it their way.

I'd be happy to beta it, too :)

plunderpuss
04-26-2011, 08:59 AM
That would be amazing. Thank you!