Confused by this Rejection

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm no stranger to rejections. Usually I get form letters, but whenever I get personalized ones, I try to make sure to get as much out of it as possible.

However, I just got a rejection that...I thought it was a form letter, but upon reading it, I'm not sure.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to look over your query for “Zero” – I love the premise of your material. However, as much as I like the idea of your work, I’m not able to request your full manuscript at this time. You see, I’m currently in editorial negotiation regarding several of my YA manuscripts (and their authors!). I feel that until those deals are solidified, I ought not take on new authors. This is, of course, my personal preference because I don’t like the idea of being personally overwhelmed or of allowing clients to feel anything less than well-tended. I hope you can understand. [So...its a rejection, but a bad-timing rejection???]

Best wishes as you seek representation. Also, give my regards to the lovely participants at Absolute Write. [I mentioned something about Absolute Write in the query. This is what made me think that it might not be a form letter.]

Hopefully, our paths will cross again. [This makes me wonder if this is an invitation to submit again]

So, I get that this is still a rejection, but never having gotten one quite like this before, I'm wondering what it means. Did the agent feel like not writing the usual "Your work doesn't fit in with my client list" form letter that day, or is this something else entirely?

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds to me like a bad timing rejection, but with a personal note about AW.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I mentioned something about Absolute Write in the query. This is what made me think that it might not be a form letter.
Is the agent a member of AW? If not, there's really no reason I can think of for you to mention this site during the querying process.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
So, I get that this is still a rejection, but never having gotten one quite like this before, I'm wondering what it means. Did the agent feel like not writing the usual "Your work doesn't fit in with my client list" form letter that day, or is this something else entirely?

It looks like a form rejection with a few personalized touches. If the agent really loved your query, she'd probably have asked for more despite her busy client list, or she would have definitely indicated you should submit again in the future. I think you should take it as a form rejection and not try to read too much into it.

Also, like Silver King said, what did you do, mention that AW helped you with your query and writing or something? I really don't see how that's going to help you. (Do you really want agents searching the board to see how bad your writing was before you submitted it?)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's still a no, but a nice no. It could be about timing, it could not. Who knows for sure. At the end of the day, if the project was really perfect for them, they would have taken it, no matter how busy.

But it is a really nice letter, and shows that your query was read. Although, I'm curious as to why you mentioned AW in your query?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of agents have referenced in blogs, tweets, and other sources that being a member of Absolute Write connotes a level of professionalism and commitment, just like being a member of some organizations or having an MFA. In addition, some agents are members of Absolute Write and either publicly or privately post or lurk.

If you've got the room in a query to fit this stuff comfortably, it doesn't hurt to include. No agent is going to reject you for including it, and sometimes if an agent is on the edge, these things will nudge the agent to a yes.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's a form letter. Sorry.

As someone else pointed out, if she had loved it enough she would have asked to see more, despite her work load.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it clearly is NOT a form, or not entirely. A no is a no, but the agent took the time to say "close."

Some things are bad timing. I had a rejection with a similar sentiment not long ago, that the agent liked the premise but not enough for the market right now. It was brief but NOT a form -- I am personally acquainted with this particular agent's form from another project and QT shows she's still using it. I found the rejection a bit confusing too -- it was just a QUERY. If she liked the idea, request pages and see the book holds up too. If not, well, it's still a no.

Last edited:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's a form letter. Sorry.

As someone else pointed out, if she had loved it enough she would have asked to see more, despite her work load.

Yes, one of my first rejections was almost the same thing. Liked it, but not enough to add to my already busy docket.

siva

ZETONART
Registered
Reaction score
I just wondered while keying their language and mine, distinguished the missing breath of my puking words out of my mouth aren't arrant the circle, which makes on other's neurons to affirm the familiar sense. I just constituted myself to arrogate the proper words I need, to fulfill my sin.

I'm also a sorriest starter in the entire sci fi marathon as like you, not frustrated, because I haven't acquired enough words to plump out my hunger, still trying.

Last edited:

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
I just wondered while keying their language and mine, distinguished the missing breath of my puking words out of my mouth aren't arrant the circle, which makes on other's neurons to affirm the familiar sense. I just constituted myself to arrogate the proper words I need, to fulfill my sin.

I'm also a sorriest starter in the entire sci fi marathon as like you, not frustrated, because I haven't acquired enough words to plump out my hunger, still trying.

Dear Siva - I love the way you write! :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's most like a polite form. I've read several forms that were almost identical, sentence by sentence.

Form rejections come in two types: 1. Those where every writer gets exactly the same wording. 2. Those where the agent or editors adds an excuse to let the writer land softly.

But it really doesn't matter. Anything less than a request for a rewrite and a resubmit is just a no.

You rejections you're looking for go into detail about what's wrong with your story, not about editorial negotiations, or anything else.

M L Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like they took the time to write you a personal rejection.

It's a "no" but it sounds as if the agent thought you had some talent, but the timing is bad.

Keep writing!