Had once again!

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
One of those odd sentences that gets me confused about the use of the word 'had'.

I had proclaimed my ambitions to two of my closest colleagues at the previous workplace, and received curious looks in return.

So is the use of 'had' in the above sentence correct? Or should I rather omit it? But I guess, since I no longer work at the workplace, the sentence warrants a 'had'.

Help! And thanks!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your main story is told in past tense, then mentions of events which occurred before your story starts should be in past perfect tense, just like this.

Maryn, validating

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn!

But what about when I am just mentioning this to someone in a conversation?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There has to be a reason for including the 'had' and the reason is context.

If, as seems to be the case, it's an 'out of the blue' comment with no reference to anything else or to the topic in hand you don't need it.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
There has to be a reason for including the 'had' and the reason is context.

If, as seems to be the case, it's an 'out of the blue' comment with no reference to anything else or to the topic in hand you don't need it.

There is a context. I was mentioning to someone that I had confided in two of my colleagues that I wished to be ambidextrous.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's always a context, but we won't know it from a snippet.

If it's dialogue only you will know if it (the 'had') is needed.

There is a context. I was mentioning to someone that I had confided in two of my colleagues that I wished to be ambidextrous.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good, a thread that's related to what I was thinking about last night. I was reading a short story in Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Mag and came across a sentence similar to this (changed slightly to protect the source):

"Michelle's last visit with Tracy occurred about two years before. It was busy there in the county office. There was a position open, and the head clerk, after a long application procedure, had made it to the list for interviews."

Leading up to this new paragraph is character description of a newly-murdered victim. The story is written past tense, Michelle's POV.

My mind stumbled over the first sentence. I read it again, thinking, "There should be a 'had' after Tracy - 'Michelle's last visit with Tracy had occurred" would alert me that this had happened not the same day."

I hope I'm making sense, and I hope someone can explain it to me. The editor of this magazine is someone championed highly here by a longtime (and apparently frequently-published) AWer as "one of the best editors ever" so I must be reading this incorrectly ...

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
My mind stumbled over the first sentence. I read it again, thinking, "There should be a 'had' after Tracy - 'Michelle's last visit with Tracy had occurred" would alert me that this had happened not the same day."

You're sort of right there, but the past tense could work, too, because, technically, all events are in the past from the time of story telling. Thus there's a shift of focus. Try it like this:

1. Past tense:

-----Story event1<-------Story telling
Story event 2<-----------Story telling

2. Past perfect:

Story event2<-----Story event1<-----Story telling

The author probably thought that "Michelle's last visit" was enough to make a timeskip obvious. Since this sort of thing is dependent on the relation of the story telling time, this works better in omniscient than in limited (i.e. if it was a hint that the character remembers her last visit, I'd be more likely to expect past perfect.)

To summarise, whether or not you need past perfect, in this case, is a question of narrative technique rather than grammar, and it depends on how much you emphasise the time of story telling (with more emphasis favouring simple past, and less emphasis favouring past perfect).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Only use the perfect tense if you're specifically talking about an event before the current:

"I had eaten the ice cream earlier and now I was having stomach pain."

In your example, it seems like you're speaking of a "previous workplace" situation while currently in a new workplace, so I think the past perfect is okay, as in:

"My boss and I talked during lunch, and I told him how I had confided in my colleagues at the previous workplace."

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think what made this paragraph sound off to me was that the writer *did* use a past perfect had in the third sentence but not the first. A simple had in the first one too would have made more sense to me.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I had proclaimed my ambitions to two of my closest colleagues at the previous workplace, and received curious looks in return.
I think it's correct, it tells the reader right away that you're relating a past event.

My mind stumbled over the first sentence. I read it again, thinking, "There should be a 'had' after Tracy
I think you're right.

-Derek

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Oh good, a thread that's related to what I was thinking about last night. I was reading a short story in Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Mag and came across a sentence similar to this (changed slightly to protect the source):

"Michelle's last visit with Tracy occurred about two years before. It was busy there in the county office. There was a position open, and the head clerk, after a long application procedure, had made it to the list for interviews."

Leading up to this new paragraph is character description of a newly-murdered victim. The story is written past tense, Michelle's POV.

I hope I'm making sense, and I hope someone can explain it to me. The editor of this magazine is someone championed highly here by a longtime (and apparently frequently-published) AWer as "one of the best editors ever" so I must be reading this incorrectly ...

I think you're right, and the magazine was simply wrong. If you have a fairly long flashback, you can drop the perfect after the first time or two, but in your example, it was needed.

I just read a very good book (Crash of the Titans: Greed, Hubris, the Fall of Merrill Lynch, and the Near-Collapse of Bank of America, by Greg Farrell) whose author does this all the time, and it's annoying, but not annoying enough for me to stop reading. But it is a jar, and a "huh?" and a "wait a minute, I thought--" moment.

Pete Morin

slightly daft curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.petemorin.wordpress.com
I find as often as not that, while use of had is grammatically correct in employing past perfect, it's not necessary - the context of the sentence/paragraph makes it clear enough.

Like in your sentence, the had is correct, and I think in that particular case perhaps necessary, and you could have correctly used it again before received, but wisely did not.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Like in your sentence, the had is correct, and I think in that particular case perhaps necessary, and you could have correctly used it again before received, but wisely did not.

Once you've established the time frame with a past perfect, you can drop it in later sentences.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly.

And if we don't know the speaker's reason for using 'had' or whether or not in context the time frame has already been established we can't really comment on the necessity or otherwise of the 'had' in this case.

Strikes me as writer's choice and not really a grammar question to which there is a definitive yes or no.

Once you've established the time frame with a past perfect, you can drop it in later sentences.

Last edited:

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I find as often as not that, while use of had is grammatically correct in employing past perfect, it's not necessary - the context of the sentence/paragraph makes it clear enough.

Really? It doesn't bother you as a reader? It drives me nuts, makes me re-read the whole sentence to see where I went wrong.