PDA

View Full Version : General anime discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

LOG
04-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Since we're still apparently adverse to discussing each anime individually like we do with other movies and television series (and if we did we would dominate half of the first page of this area if not more) :P

I'll start off with this: has anyone seen an anime series made more episodic in nature? Like Law and Order or NCIS or heck, even Family Guy or the Simpsons? Same characters and maybe settings, but not the traditional focused narrative that we usually get, like in story arcs in the longer ones, and instead have a story for each episode (would probably be hour-long episodes). There are some like that, but even those tend to develop multiple episode story arcs or have a habit of all their activities somehow getting back to an overarching theme.

kuwisdelu
04-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Plenty. Most of the more serious ones still have an overarching narrative, but have lots of standalone episodes. I'm thinking Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. Both still have arcs, but more than half the episodes are devoted to standalone stories.

For less-serious stuff, there's plenty in the slice-of-life genre. Stuff like K-On! and Azumanga Daioh. Pretty much anything adapted from a 4koma source.

LOG
04-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Hmmmm, the reason I'm hesitant to include something like GitS is because while there are some stand-alones, the majority of it is still devoted to a single plot line, and it's still really quite short (by comparison). I wouldn't say I'm looking for Bleach/Naruto/One Piece length series, but more than the traditional 25-50.

4koma?

kuwisdelu
04-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Hmmmm, the reason I'm hesitant to include something like GitS is because while there are some stand-alones, the majority of it is still devoted to a single plot line, and it's still really quite short (by comparison). I wouldn't say I'm looking for Bleach/Naruto/One Piece length series, but more than the traditional 25-50.

Short? It's 2 seasons, 26 episodes a piece. That's pretty long when so many series only ever get 13 episodes.

4koma?

4-panel comic. Typically slice-of-life comedy. Slice-of-life stuff is definitely going to be the most common place you'll get single-episode stories. What kinds of genres are you looking for?

Hmm, Haruhi is pretty episodic once you get the background info.

Dawnstorm
04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
So, are you looking for stuff like Mushishi? Just asking, because I know you know that one, as you guessed it in the screenshot thread.

Most episodic stuff I know has mini-arcs of two to four episodes, such as, for example, The World God Only Knows, which is currently getting a second season (although it seems like season 2 is setting up a story line; too early to tell.)

LOG
04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I only saw a few episodes of Mushishi, but it might be along the right lines.

@kuwisdelu
As for ep. number, most anime I've seen goes into the 20's at least, but you've probably seen a lot more than I have.

I just saw Appleseed, I give it a 3/5. It's okay, and pretty cool at time, but the characters come off inconsistent, and the story does as well at times.

Shadow Dragon
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are very episodic. There is a recurring storyline, but most of the episodes are self contained stories.

kuwisdelu
04-24-2011, 10:25 PM
So, are you looking for stuff like Mushishi? Just asking, because I know you know that one, as you guessed it in the screenshot thread.

I only saw a few episodes of Mushishi, but it might be along the right lines.

I haven't seen Mushishi yet, but if that's the kind of thing you're looking for, Natsume Yuujinchou is along the same lines. Episodic and laid-back.

Dawnstorm
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
This season:

Favourites:

Ano Hana (Dead girl re-unites a group of childhood friends - a bit charming, a bit tragic, a bit funny)

Hanasaku Iroha (Mom runs away with lover to leave daugher with estranged grandma - cookie cutter plot, but quirky characters and pretty visuals)

Steins;Gate (Conspiracy theory + time travel - over-the-top characters and a time-travelling banana; - way better than Chaos;Head)

Apparantly Underrated:

A-Channel (cute girls do cute things, cutely; the plot is as bland as it sounds, and their cheeks look like they've been treated with floor wax; apart from that it's just charming - nice subdued humour)

Hyouge Mono (Historical: Aesthet tries to be warrior but his love for beautiful things interferes - samurai story from an unusual perspective, both interesting and fun)

kuwisdelu
04-27-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm waiting until after finals and final projects are over to catch up on any new stuff.

Dommo
04-27-2011, 03:30 AM
I have hard time finding good anime. A lot of gets too preachy in dramatic moments.

Anyway, I'm definitely a huge fan of the ghost in the shell series, and of cowboy bebop. If anyone knows of any other Anime that are comparable in terms of quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Aylaa
04-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Lol. I'm quite unbiased when it comes to anime, and i gotta admit I'm quite the opposite. There's so much anime that i know is good that i haven't been able to watch yet.

Finding good anime is somewhat restrictive to your internet impression of what constitutes piracy imo.

I'm into watching fan subs of current animes premiering every week in Japan. A lot of companies frown on internet streaming, and torrents, but there is no other way of staying current in the anime world. A wonderful streaming website animefreak.tv and just all around info I use animenewsnetwork.com

Aylaa
04-27-2011, 03:46 AM
netflix and hulu have contracts with funimation so the volume of anime you have access there is amazing. Check those too.

Aylaa
04-27-2011, 03:51 AM
favorite anime:

Cowboy beebop
Slayers
Bleach
One piece
Evangelion
Eureka 7

There are probably a hundred other series I loved, but the list would be a little overwhelming.

Check out myanimelist.net it'd probably solve your problem.

defcon6000
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM
I have hard time finding good anime. A lot of gets too preachy in dramatic moments.

Anyway, I'm definitely a huge fan of the ghost in the shell series, and of cowboy bebop. If anyone knows of any other Anime that are comparable in terms of quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Outlaw Star, same makers although it's more plot heavy and less episodic.

Witch Hunter Robin is half and half. Episodic at the start, but as it progresses, it develops a plot. It's a bit dark but I enjoyed it.

There's Tenchi Muyo too, but dunno if you're more into the humor side of things. Plenty of action across the three series and great characters. The first series is the best imo - just pretend there are only two OVA seasons. ;)

kuwisdelu
04-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Eh, the biggest problem with finding good anime is that anime isn't a genre, so it's a pretty vague question.

Based on the sci-fi/philosophical nature of GiTS, I'd suggest Neon Genesis Evangelion, Texhnolyze, and Serial Experiments Lain. If you're looking more for actiony sci-fi, there's Gurren Lagann and the Macross franchise. Eden of the East is pretty good, and I think it's by the same director as GiTS.

Dawnstorm
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Like Kuwisdelu said, there are plenty of genres. Also, not sure what "too preachy" is, and how often it can trigger before it ruins your enjoyment. For example, both Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiment Lain are brilliant anime, but I wonder whether the "philosophical" nature of the show counts as "preachy". (Anyway, in those two shows it's mostly towards the end.) Another show in that vein would be Ergo Proxy.

I hear good things about, but have not watches, Planetes. Aparently, it's about a team of space garbage men (clearing debris from planet orbits, to keep space travel save). The premis sounds promising.

The guy who did Cowboy bebop (Watanabe) (I have to share a typo: "Coyboy bebop") also did Samurai Champloo. Samurai historical meets present day American pop culture (for example, one of my fave episodes is mixing up tagging with calligraphy and literacy).

Maybe you'd like Wolf's Rain, or Basilisk. Both aren't exactly the happiest shows around, but well...

Then there's Haibane Renmei, a charming little tale about guilt and loss in an odd setting that is never explained. One of the best.

If you're willing to give romance a try, I could recommend True Tears (leaning towards drama), Toradora (leaning towards comedy), or Kimi ni Todoke (above all a feel-good story).

And so on, and so forth.

kuwisdelu
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Then there's Haibane Renmei, a charming little tale about guilt and loss in an odd setting that is never explained. One of the best.

Anything by Yoshitoshi ABe (Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze) is extremely good. They can be a bit difficult to get into for some people, though, since they tend to be somewhat slow and dense. Haibane Renmei is probably the most straightforward of the three and a very nice little piece of magical realism.

I really hope Despera actually gets finished sometime.

darkprincealain
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I've been a huge fan of Witch Hunter Robin for a long time. I tried House of Five Leaves because I liked the series name and the art style, but dropped it, as it felt too serious, or something. Ano Hana and Steins;Gate sound like ones I need to try out.

amrose
04-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Anything by Yoshitoshi ABe (Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze) is extremely good. They can be a bit difficult to get into for some people, though, since they tend to be somewhat slow and dense. Haibane Renmei is probably the most straightforward of the three and a very nice little piece of magical realism.

Agreed. Lain and Haibane were great. I also watch Niea_7 every August but its tone is waaaaay different from Lain or Haibane.

As for episodic anime, how about Kino's Journey? There's some plot but most of the episodes are little morality/oh man's folly plays.

Camilla Delvalle
04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
While watching Madoka Magica I got some new ideas for a story that I've been thinking about for a while. Can you suggest some other animes that have surreal environments? Maybe a city that is somewhat distorted so that it makes a surreal impression. The setup in my story is that there are witches that can create their own magical areas, an idea that I actually got from Steven Erikson and not from Madoka Magica. I'd also like me some eldritch abominations or really crazy monsters. I conjured up one of those on my own earlier today.

kuwisdelu
04-28-2011, 03:10 AM
While watching Madoka Magica I got some new ideas for a story that I've been thinking about for a while. Can you suggest some other animes that have surreal environments? Maybe a city that is somewhat distorted so that it makes a surreal impression. The setup in my story is that there are witches that can create their own magical areas, an idea that I actually got from Steven Erikson and not from Madoka Magica. I'd also like me some eldritch abominations or really crazy monsters. I conjured up one of those on my own earlier today.

Fullmetal Alchemist (both of them) has plenty of eldritch abominations and crazy monsters.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has plenty of screwy stuff on its own, but it's End of Evangelion that basically broke all rules and definitions surrounding the words "surreal" and "mindfuck."

Paranoia Agent would definitely qualify, particularly toward the ending, as well as Lain.

Dawnstorm
04-28-2011, 07:41 AM

If you have access to a playstation 2, I'd suggest you gain access to Persona 3 & 4. Jungian psychology meets tarot. You're fighting manifestations of the collective subconscious that are sometimes tailored to you're party's repressed psychological problems. There's an anime, Persona: Tryinity Soul, but I didn't get past episode 1, so I can't tell how good it is. Persona 4 is about to be turned into an anime; there are already trailers out.

Camilla Delvalle
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist (both of them) has plenty of eldritch abominations and crazy monsters.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has plenty of screwy stuff on its own, but it's End of Evangelion that basically broke all rules and definitions surrounding the words "surreal" and "mindfuck."

Paranoia Agent would definitely qualify, particularly toward the ending, as well as Lain.
Thank you. I watched the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist but there was too much yelling for my taste.

Eva has some great monsters, yes.

Yes, Paranoia Agent had that cardboard world. That's a good example of what I was thinking about.

Camilla Delvalle
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
The most powerful witch will be hovering in the air up-side down, because I thought that was cool in Madoka. Another witch will merely be a motorcycle chick with leather clothes and a taste for paintings of naked males. I'm also thinking that one might be invisible, because she is shy, but with visible clothes, or someone can be an object like a porcelain doll.

Camilla Delvalle
04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
If you have access to a playstation 2, I'd suggest you gain access to Persona 3 & 4. Jungian psychology meets tarot. You're fighting manifestations of the collective subconscious that are sometimes tailored to you're party's repressed psychological problems.
Cool. Alas, I don't have Playstation. What you are saying somewhat reminds of Silent Hill.

defcon6000
04-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Thank you. I watched the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist but there was too much yelling for my taste.

Haha, I agree. I like both series because of the magic system, but the whole Ed gets pissed every time someone calls him short is an annoying running gag. But it's a pretty good series if you can look past Ed.

Can you suggest some other animes that have surreal environments?
Shamanic Princesses takes place mostly in a city where the MC and her childhood rival fight each other through magical creatures they summon. They also get sucked into a painting (which is a god) that can distort reality. It's a VERY short series though, only 6 episodes, and you can catch them all on YouTube.

Camilla Delvalle
04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Shamanic Princesses takes place mostly in a city where the MC and her childhood rival fight each other through magical creatures they summon. They also get sucked into a painting (which is a god) that can distort reality. It's a VERY short series though, only 6 episodes, and you can catch them all on YouTube.
That sounds cool. The shorter, the better, and the longer, the better.

kuwisdelu
04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Haha, I agree. I like both series because of the magic system

It's not magic, it's alchemy!

Kitty27
04-29-2011, 02:05 AM
I used to be crazy about Inuyasha. Kikyo and Inuyasha Forever!

Ahem,please excuse my fangirl screeching.

I also liked Samurai Champloo. My son was obsessed with Trigun when he was younger. We used to watch Cowboy Bebop together. Trinity Blood is another favorite.

I remember being insane about Robotech when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough.

defcon6000
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
It's not magic, it's alchemy!
Wait - there's a difference?

Trinity Blood is another favorite.

I use to love Trinity Blood - then I got to the ending. Good concept and characters, but dislike the 'that's it?!' ending.

LOG
04-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I use to love Trinity Blood - then I got to the ending. Good concept and characters, but dislike the 'that's it?!' ending.

That's because the author died.

defcon6000
04-29-2011, 05:39 PM
That's because the author died.
Yeah, but didn't the author's friend step in to finish it? They could at least make a movie to wrap it up, like what they did with FMA.

LOG
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, but didn't the author's friend step in to finish it? They could at least make a movie to wrap it up, like what they did with FMA.

Didn't hear anything about that.

defcon6000
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
From wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Blood):

After Yoshida's untimely death on July 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_15), 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004), Kentaro Yasui (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kentaro_Yasui&action=edit&redlink=1), his friend and the author of Ragnarok novels, stepped in to complete the remaining novels. Yasui also aided in completing the manga, with illustrations by Kiyo Kujō (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kiyo_Kuj%C5%8D&action=edit&redlink=1).

Now if he would only finish the anime. :(

kuwisdelu
04-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Wait - there's a difference?

Alchemy is science!

LOG
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Alchemy is science!

Most magic systems are startlingly similar to science--a specific input creates a specific output.
That's always irritated me.

Shadow Dragon
04-30-2011, 01:11 AM

Ergo Proxy, Code Geass, Hellsing and Samurai Champloo (which is made and directed by the same person as Cowboy Bebop), are really good and don't get preachy.

LOG
05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
There are manga and novel adaptions of FLCL.
...want.

Edit: I think eps 4 and 6 are my fav.

I also think I should someday watch a good quality translation--they're the only ones who will put in the footnotes. The footnotes are really helpful for the heavy Japanese-culture references series.

Dommo
05-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I own planetes already, and have watched that series several times. Definitely a favorite of mine.

When I talked about "preachy", I meant how a lot of anime get into these long drawn out whiny monologues that just completely castrate the pacing of the show. I like exposition, especially when it's interesting (e.g. several ghost in the shell episodes), but man I can't stand the emotional soap-operaishness that I've seen in a lot of shows.

Samurai Champloo is one of my favorite shows as well, and in a lot of ways kind of reminds me of cowboy bebop (probably because some of the voices are the same in the dub).

I'm just looking for more anime in the same direction. Serious, but not soap-opera.

kuwisdelu
05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
When I talked about "preachy", I meant how a lot of anime get into these long drawn out whiny monologues that just completely castrate the pacing of the show. I like exposition, especially when it's interesting (e.g. several ghost in the shell episodes), but man I can't stand the emotional soap-operaishness that I've seen in a lot of shows.

Simple: don't watch shounen.

LOG
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Simple: don't watch shounen.

LoL :D

kuwisdelu
05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Why do real-life girls always seem to be disappointing to me compared to the 2D girls I like? I'm probably getting too otaku-ish here, but seriously — where do I find my real-life Asuka's or Haruhi's?

LOG
05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Why do real-life girls always seem to be disappointing to me compared to the 2D girls I like? I'm probably getting too otaku-ish here, but seriously — where do I find my real-life Asuka's or Haruhi's?

Asylums for the mentally troubled? :P

kuwisdelu
05-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Would it be too much to say my last girlfriend spent time in a mental hospital on two occasions...?

Asuka, sure, but Haruhi is pretty mentally stable. Just rather eccentric. ;)

Dawnstorm
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM

If you don't find them your powers of projection and denial are insufficient.

LOG
05-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Kyouka Suigetsu -- Shō Hayami (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BSfm0fDeLc)
This song kind of scares me. Not the actual song itself you see, it's just that I don't think the song is anything special when I listen, yet every time it ends, I want to hear it again. And I don't know why. It's creeping me out.

Camilla Delvalle
05-24-2011, 05:02 AM
It's certainly time for a new guessing game. Here's a picture for you:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5CTQWRkoVjdgWPpzzMiCUQv7Wy918e AHbSkh5xo0gYLSSKDEf

LOG
05-24-2011, 05:49 AM
It's certainly time for a new guessing game. Here's a picture for you:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5CTQWRkoVjdgWPpzzMiCUQv7Wy918e AHbSkh5xo0gYLSSKDEf

No, that thread is still here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186751).
This thread is for things that aren't for that thread :P

Dawnstorm
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
While it's here, though: is it So Ra No Wo To? I'm thinking that might be the late princess, if so.

Camilla Delvalle
05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. The threads have so similar names. They both have the word "anime", and I must have mistook "discussion" for "guessing".

No Dawnstorm, it's not So Ra No Wo To, though it seems that some characters look similar.

kuwisdelu
05-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Time for a mid-season round-up!

Ano Hana: I'm really liking this one. It feels more subtle your typical HS drama shows, and I always love shows with magical realism elements. I like Menma, Anaru, and Jintan, and I'm looking forward to finding out more. This has the potential to be very good if they don't screw up the ending.

Ao no Exorcist: I'm enjoying this one. Nothing of much importance has happened yet since the first couple episodes, but it's been fun. Has a kind of FMA feel to it. End of episode 6 seems to suggest a bigger plot is growing within the school, though.

[C]: This is starting to get good. I was really unsure about it from the PV and the wasn't sure about the first few episodes. It's picking up more now, particularly Yoga's relationship with his asset.

Deadman Wonderland: Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'm liking this one so far. I just hope Ganta's relationship with Shiro doesn't have a stupid explanation later on like these kinds of shows tend to do.

Denpa Onna: It's Shaft, and it's pretty much what we've come to expect from Shaft, with their trademarked head-tilts and offbeat characters. They really know how to draw girls, though. I'm enjoying this one a lot, despite it being fairly typical Shaft. It was interesting to see the whole alien angle extinguished so quickly, so maybe we'll have a more nuanced character-driven show than I was expecting.

Gosick: Very happy this one is continuing from winter season. It retains that Spice and Wolf feel to it, and is at it's best when building on the relationship dynamic between Victorique and Kujo.

Hanasaku Iroha: One of my favorites this season. Something about Ohana reminds me of Naota from FLCL. I'm glad it's going to continue into the summer season. I like these characters.

Hidan no Aria: Why am I still watching this? Why do I keep giving JC Staff second chances?

Lotte no Omocha: I loved the premise for this, but the show is a lot more tame than I was expecting. Too bad it's not direct by Shinbo. But it's still been quite enjoyable, actually, even if it's not the edgy loli drama I was hoping for.

Maria+Holic Alive: Only caught the first two episodes of this so far, but I'm enjoying it even more than first season. Dat Priest is still really annoying, though.

Nichijou: Typical KyoAni stuff. Weird and ordinary at the same time, but very good and enjoyable. Not really one I look forward to every week, due to the slice-of-life mini-plots, but I do like it, especially the robot girl and the professor.

Steins;Gate: Really liking this one. Much, much better than Chaos;Head, which really kind of squandered all it's potential after the first few episodes. Hopefully, this one keeps it up, though. And I love the physics and pop history references. I had to look up the real John Titor again after the first episode.

Tiger & Bunny: Definitely not what I was expecting from the title, heh. Definitely a strong show, though. It has a kind of Alan Moore does Iron Man vibe to it, and Tiger definitely reminds me of Tony Stark in personality, though much, much less technically adept. I'm still not very interested in Bunny, though. Barnaby just isn't that interesting of a character to me. Tiger makes up for it, though.

The World God Only Knows II: I'm also enjoying this one more than the first season. The first season had such a great concept, but never really seemed to realize it until the very last episode. With more characters coming in now, I have higher hopes for this season, and I'm liking the arcs better.

Keyaroscuro
05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm enjoying Tiger & Bunny, too. I can't quite figure out why. I've also seen a lot of craze surrounding Ao no Exorcist, but I have yet to give it a try.

I'm really, really behind in my anime watching. I have a dozen series that I think have already finished because I've taken so long to get to them. D:

owlion
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I really need to watch more current anime. The last recent thing I watched was K-ON!!, but I haven't seen anything new that's particularly interesting (at least, not enough to get me to stop writing for a minute to watch it).
I wish another show like Clannad or Kanon would come out :(

kuwisdelu
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I wish another show like Clannad or Kanon would come out :(

Did you watch Angel Beats? It's somewhat different from Clannad and Kanon, but it's the same Key/KyoAni people. IMO, better than Kanon, but got cut short of its potential by executive meddling (was 13 episodes, should have been the planned 26), so it doesn't measure up to Clannad's two full seasons. Great premise, but wasn't allowed to see it through. Still very enjoyable though.

ETA: Btw, in case you didn't know, there's a K-On!! movie due this winter, and the magna recently re-started, presumably due to pressure for a 3rd season.

owlion
05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Did you watch Angel Beats? It's somewhat different from Clannad and Kanon, but it's the same Key/KyoAni people. IMO, better than Kanon, but got cut short of its potential by executive meddling (was 13 episodes, should have been the planned 26), so it doesn't measure up to Clannad's two full seasons. Great premise, but wasn't allowed to see it through. Still very enjoyable though.

ETA: Btw, in case you didn't know, there's a K-On!! movie due this winter, and the magna recently re-started, presumably due to pressure for a 3rd season.
Oh yeah, I heard about Angel Beats, then totally forgot about it! I'll have to watch that soon :) Thanks!

I just heard about the K-ON! Movie last week, but I wonder how it'll hold up at an hour and a half...

kuwisdelu
05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh yeah, I heard about Angel Beats, then totally forgot about it! I'll have to watch that soon :) Thanks!

I just heard about the K-ON! Movie last week, but I wonder how it'll hold up at an hour and a half...

Oh, and if you liked K-On! you'd probably also like Sora no Woto.

It's kind of like K-On! if, instead of a band, they were a tank platoon.

...it makes more sense when you watch it.

Dawnstorm
05-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Ano Hana: I'm really liking this one. It feels more subtle your typical HS drama shows, and I always love shows with magical realism elements. I like Menma, Anaru, and Jintan, and I'm looking forward to finding out more. This has the potential to be very good if they don't screw up the ending.

I love this show. I'm especially impressed how the children aren't just chibi versions of their older selves. There's an actual sense of development.

Ao no Exorcist:
I'm enjoying this one. Nothing of much importance has happened yet since the first couple episodes, but it's been fun. Has a kind of FMA feel to it. End of episode 6 seems to suggest a bigger plot is growing within the school, though.Unexceptional content, excellent execution. I'm enjoying it more and more, but if it stopped airing, I wouldn't give it a second thought. That kind of show, for me.

[C]:
This is starting to get good. I was really unsure about it from the PV and the wasn't sure about the first few episodes. It's picking up more now, particularly Yoga's relationship with his asset.Strange one. It keeps piquing my interest, and then it fails to follow through. This could have been better. I don't have high hopes for the ending.

Deadman Wonderland:
Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'm liking this one so far. I just hope Ganta's relationship with Shiro doesn't have a stupid explanation later on like these kinds of shows tend to do.Not sure. The emotion is a bit over-the-top, so I can't really get into it at that level, but I'm still enjoying the ride. A bit like Exorcist, but while Exorcist is on an upward trend, this one's pointing down.

Denpa Onna:
It's Shaft, and it's pretty much what we've come to expect from Shaft, with their trademarked head-tilts and offbeat characters. They really know how to draw girls, though. I'm enjoying this one a lot, despite it being fairly typical Shaft. It was interesting to see the whole alien angle extinguished so quickly, so maybe we'll have a more nuanced character-driven show than I was expecting.I don't think the alien angle has been extinguished so much, as it has been pushed into the background. It's still there in the visual metaphor (with the bottle rockets). This show is surprisingly subtle; subtlty is not something I expected from this show. I thought it'd be more like Arakawa, which I thought was decent, but nothing special.

The show's a pleasant surprise; might even be my second favourite show this season.

Btw, this is the only show where I sit through both the opening and the ending every week.

Gosick:
Very happy this one is continuing from winter season. It retains that Spice and Wolf feel to it, and is at it's best when building on the relationship dynamic between Victorique and Kujo.Not sure what to think of this. It wavers between brilliant and silly. Kujo is annoying me a lot, and yet I still like him. That's symptomatic for the show.

Hanasaku Iroha:
One of my favorites this season. Something about Ohana reminds me of Naota from FLCL. I'm glad it's going to continue into the summer season. I like these characters.This show is such fun. I like how it covers various age groups with respect. (Still focussing on the highschoolers, but they don't live in a vaccuum, like many anime kids.)

Btw, Mari Okada (the writer) is busy this season, with this one and Ano Hana (she's focussing on Ano Hana, doing only the "series composition" for this one, but still...)

Hidan no Aria:
Why am I still watching this? Why do I keep giving JC Staff second chances?Haven't seen.

Lotte no Omocha:
I loved the premise for this, but the show is a lot more tame than I was expecting. Too bad it's not direct by Shinbo. But it's still been quite enjoyable, actually, even if it's not the edgy loli drama I was hoping for.Heh, here I am, being glad the show disappointed you, because I enjoy it more than I would have, had it been what I thought it would be. It's just warm-hearted and fluffy and makes me feel good inside. ^_^

Maria+Holic Alive: Only caught the first two episodes of this so far, but I'm enjoying it even more than first season. Dat Priest is still really annoying, though.When I tried watching season 1, I was in a bit of a slump, and couldn't take Maria's sadism. I stalled at episode seven, and didn't continue since. Not watching this season until I finish the first.

Nichijou:
Typical KyoAni stuff. Weird and ordinary at the same time, but very good and enjoyable. Not really one I look forward to every week, due to the slice-of-life mini-plots, but I do like it, especially the robot girl and the professor.I enjoy this a lot. Fun weirdness, and sometimes they manage to combine poetry and jokes. Some stuff falls flat, but on the whole I like it. And, like you, robot girl and co are my favourites. Oh, and the agricocrat... Heh.

One thing that annoys me about the show: sometimes they take an originally funny joke, beat it to death, and then resurrect it so we can see it shuffle around some more.

Love the way they imploy music.

Steins;Gate:
Really liking this one. Much, much better than Chaos;Head, but really kind of squandered all it's potential after the first few episodes. Hopefully, this one keeps it up, though. And I love the physics and pop history references. I had to look up the real John Titor again after the first episode.My favourite this season, mostly because of the excellent character interaction. (The scene praising lab coats... Oh dear! "Let's stand up straight and put our hands in our pockets.")

Tiger & Bunny:
Definitely not what I was expecting from the title, heh. Definitely a strong show, though. It has a kind of Alan Moore does Iron Man vibe to it, and Tiger definitely reminds me of Tony Stark in personality, though much, much less technically adept. I'm still not very interested in Bunny, though. Barnaby just isn't that interesting of a character to me. Tiger makes up for it, though.Didn't get past ep1, but like Level E last season, I haven't given up on it. One day, maybe...

The World God Only Knows II: I'm also enjoying this one more than the first season. The first season had such a great concept, but never really seemed to realize it until the very last episode. With more characters coming in now, I have higher hopes for this season, and I'm liking the arcs better.Agree absolutely. (Except that I really loved last seasons library arc.)

In my last post, I've recommended A Channel and Hyoge Mono as underrated. A Channel has been picking up; it's getting the recognition it deserves. But Hyoge Mono? Not even the fansubbers are excited enough to keep up with the show. It's such a shame. A samurai story about what clothes a samurai should wear, and from which cup you should sip your tea, and all this seems to combine with political intrigue... I just hope I'll see the entire series one day.

Finally, a curiosity:

Oretachi ni tsubasa wa nai: I watched episode 1, and had no idea what was going on. I liked the show's style and was intrigued, but I wished they would have gotten rid of the annoying, gratuitious ecchi stuff. A couple of episodes in, I started getting a clue. A clue mind you. I still didn't really know what kind of show I was watching. Episode 7 came along and things started making sense. If only there wasn't that stupid ecchi stuff all over the place. Episode 8: Wait, what? That sutpid, annoying, gratuitious ecchi stuff is not... gratuitious? There's a plot point to this?

So here I am, wondering whether I should re-watch possibly non-gratuitious ecchi stuff for plot. And I'm still trying to figure out who sees what in what ways, and what - ultimately - is real, although I do think I have a good grasp on a couple of points what's not real.

I'm pretty sure it's a subtle and clever show that turns off half it's audience by being too confusing, and the other half by too much ecchi. Pity. The show deserves an audience.

Maybe...

kuwisdelu
05-31-2011, 02:26 AM
My favourite this season, mostly because of the excellent character interaction. (The scene praising lab coats... Oh dear! "Let's stand up straight and put our hands in our pockets.")

I also love his, err, phone call reports back to, err, HQ?

kuwisdelu
06-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Anyone else catch the Ore Imo (true) finale? 'twas good. I'm hoping for a second season.

Little Ming
06-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Wow, didn't even know we had an anime thread. I used to be an avid anime watcher during the early days of Naruto and Bleach. I think the last really great anime I watched and loved was FMA (both seasons). Need to start watching again. :)

kuwisdelu
06-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Has anyone else here watched [gg]'s Hidan no Aria releases? I'm curious what everyone thinks. Heh.

kuwisdelu
06-04-2011, 08:22 AM
It would probably be excessive to set up RAID1 for my NAS with my anime on it, wouldn't it? It's not like it would be impossible to replace all those m4v's, but inputting all that metadata and tags and muxing in properly formatted subtitles is a lot of work!

How do you store/watch your anime?

MokoBunny
06-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow, didn't even know we had an anime thread. I used to be an avid anime watcher during the early days of Naruto and Bleach. I think the last really great anime I watched and loved was FMA (both seasons). Need to start watching again. :)

OMG, FMA is like my favorite anime of all time. Did you like the original series better or Brotherhood? I am a huge an of the manga so I preferred Brotherhood.

Anyone a CLAMP fan? I really hope they animate the end for TRC. But I'm excited about their new show BLOOD-C. Especially because they'll be collaborating with staff from Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+

kuwisdelu
06-04-2011, 09:14 AM
OMG, FMA is like my favorite anime of all time. Did you like the original series better or Brotherhood? I am a huge an of the manga so I preferred Brotherhood.

There are certain things I really liked about the first series, but overall I prefer Brotherhood. I really like FMA, but it's not one of my all-time favorites. Definitely the best shounen franchise around, though, IMO.

Anyone a CLAMP fan? I really hope they animate the end for TRC. But I'm excited about their new show BLOOD-C. Especially because they'll be collaborating with staff from Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+

I enjoyed the character design in Code Geass. I've heard great things about Mouryou no Hako, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably watch Blood-C when it airs. Production IG always has great animation.

Anna L.
06-04-2011, 10:46 AM
FMA was my last great love, fandom-wise. I haven't been able to find anything else I love as much. Code Geass was great, but I couldn't love the characters so it was only a fling. Gundam 00 amused me for a while but the movie's ending made me want to throw things.

Level E was mildly amusing last season and right now I'm paying some attention to Blue Exorcist.

kuwisdelu
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Code Geass was great, but I couldn't love the characters so it was only a fling. Gundam 00 amused me for a while but the movie's ending made me want to throw things.

Did you watch Macross Frontier or Star Driver?

Dawnstorm
06-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Anyone else catch the Ore Imo (true) finale? 'twas good. I'm hoping for a second season.

Finally got around to watching ep15. Yeah, the ending was quite good. I'm not sure that there's enough for a sequel, though. I'm worried it'd be "more of the same", if they did a second season, and I'd rather not have that.

It would probably be excessive to set up RAID1 for my NAS with my anime on it, wouldn't it? It's not like it would be impossible to replace all those m4v's, but inputting all that metadata and tags and muxing in properly formatted subtitles is a lot of work!

How do you store/watch your anime?

- TV
- DVD
- Streaming

I've never downloaded a single anime, so I have no idea what RAID1 or NAS are, or what that even means.

@ CLAMP: Loved X (TV) (there's a movie, but that one's just bad) and Chobits. Kobato was cute. I'll probably watch Blood C, too.

kuwisdelu
06-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Finally got around to watching ep15. Yeah, the ending was quite good. I'm not sure that there's enough for a sequel, though. I'm worried it'd be "more of the same", if they did a second season, and I'd rather not have that.

Well the light novels are still going strong.

I've never downloaded a single anime, so I have no idea what RAID1 or NAS are, or what that even means.

You don't need to download anything to get it on your computer. Never ripped a DVD for watching on the go?

A NAS is just Network Attached Storage and RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

Dawnstorm
06-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Well the light novels are still going strong.

Ah, the source material. I never pay enough attention to that. (Since they said "true end", I sort of had it in the back of my mind that it was visual novel. Heh.)

You don't need to download anything to get it on your computer. Never ripped a DVD for watching on the go?

Actually, no. I've got nothing to watch it on, anyway. (No laptop, no iPod, no nothing...) I tend to read, on the go, so I never felt the lack.

A NAS is just Network Attached Storage and RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.Ah, thanks for the clarification.

kuwisdelu
06-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Actually, no. I've got nothing to watch it on, anyway. (No laptop, no iPod, no nothing...) I tend to read, on the go, so I never felt the lack.

My laptop is higher res than my TV and has a much better screen, so I watch everything on it.

LOG
06-11-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm trying to remember a manga, don't know if it ever made it to anime, it was about a girl who was really good at everything sports-related, until she met a girl who was really good at boxing and beat her. So then she goes on to learn boxing.
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

LOG
06-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Painting Warriors was good. Now if only the economic/political situation would allow the mangaka to finish it, instead it's stopped at volume 3.
F%&^

childeroland
06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Girl Saurus?

LOG
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Girl Saurus?
No, that's about a boy afraid of girls who joins a boxing club full of girls... The one I'm thinking of has a female protagonist, and the boxing isn't the traditional form because it has wrestling elements as well.

Chumala
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
GOSICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAH I CAN NOT GET ENOUGH OF VICTORIQUE!!!!

She is one of the greatest anime characters ever!!!! And if they do not kiss (her and kujo) I'm going to be extremely pissed, just like I was at the end of To Love.... >.>

<---- (Cuteness this way, profile picture)

childeroland
06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, Gosick is amazing, one of the best shows in years.

Hanasaku Iroha is also lovely.

kuwisdelu
06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Can't say I've watched any boxing anime.

Gosick is good, but I wouldn't call it the best show in years. Either Star Driver or Madoka probably has that spot for me. I do quite like it, though, and it really makes me hope for a Spice & Wolf III.

And I'm definitely glad Iroha is a 2-cour.

Chumala
06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Can't say I've watched any boxing anime.

Gosick is good, but I wouldn't call it the best show in years. Either Star Driver or Madoka probably has that spot for me. I do quite like it, though, and it really makes me hope for a Spice & Wolf III.

And I'm definitely glad Iroha is a 2-cour.

Spice and Wolf..... that show and I are in a love hate relationship right now, just like all the other romance animes.... THEY NEVER MAKE THE COUPLE DO ANYTHING!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

But I love the wolf lady from Spice though, she's so cute. :)

Hidan no Aria, I haven't been keeping up since I raced through the manga. However I saw no action in the manga relationship wise so I have fallen back on watching the anime.

I hate how I get more kissing/ romance out of that twincest anime last season or two seasons ago, then I do with this seasons shows. >.>

kuwisdelu
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Spice and Wolf..... that show and I are in a love hate relationship right now, just like all the other romance animes.... THEY NEVER MAKE THE COUPLE DO ANYTHING!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

But I love the wolf lady from Spice though, she's so cute. :)

Eh? I never considered it a romance anime, just an anime with romantic elements.

Hidan no Aria, I haven't been keeping up since I raced through the manga. However I saw no action in the manga relationship wise so I have fallen back on watching the anime.

It's not worth watching. I really don't know why I still am.

Have you watched B Gata H Kei? Or Amagami SS? Should fulfill your needs.

Dawnstorm
06-17-2011, 01:01 AM
A kiss in Gosick would feel... strange. Dunno why.

I like the show, but at times it feels over-constructed to me. Love the visuals, though.

Voice-actor-wise I'm still marvelling at the fact that Vicotique = Madoka (Yuuki Aoi).

Chumala
06-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Eh? I never considered it a romance anime, just an anime with romantic elements.

It's not worth watching. I really don't know why I still am.

Have you watched B Gata H Kei? Or Amagami SS? Should fulfill your needs.

Yes to B Gata no to H Kei.

Chumala
06-17-2011, 01:13 AM
A kiss in Gosick would feel... strange. Dunno why.

I like the show, but at times it feels over-constructed to me. Love the visuals, though.

Voice-actor-wise I'm still marvelling at the fact that Vicotique = Madoka (Yuuki Aoi).

You're strange. She blushes so much near him. They need to kiss! >:(

*Grabs pitchfork*

Little Ming
06-17-2011, 02:02 AM

Oops, missed this one.

I think they were both very good, but for different reason. i liked the first because it was more focused on the brothers and their relationship and the tearjerker ending.... :cry:

The second was bigger in scope. Spoiler: The villain wanted to conquer God. And he was willing to kill the entire country to do it.

I heard there's supposed to be a movie for the second anime coming out. Hope it's better than the first movie. ;)

And on a non-FMA related topic, I'm hesitant to watch anime that are still airing. Only one episode a week.... :rant:

Although I was thinking about catching Gosick and it seems to be getting great reviews here.

kuwisdelu
06-17-2011, 02:25 AM
And on a non-FMA related topic, I'm hesitant to watch anime that are still airing. Only one episode a week.... :rant:

Yeah, it's frustrating, but when you get a really good series, it's a lot of fun to take part in the speculation and discussion as it airs.

Although I was thinking about catching Gosick and it seems to be getting great reviews here.

For this season, Steins;Gate is another definite pick-up. It'll be continuing into next season, too.

Little Ming
06-17-2011, 02:55 AM
For this season, Steins;Gate is another definite pick-up. It'll be continuing into next season, too.

Oh this does look interesting. And it's ending soon, so no painful waiting between weeks. :tongue

kuwisdelu
06-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Oh this does look interesting. And it's ending soon, so no painful waiting between weeks. :tongue

Well, Gosick is ending soon. Steins;Gate in another few months.

Little Ming
06-17-2011, 03:11 AM
Well, Gosick is ending soon. Steins;Gate in another few months.

Crap, you're right. I misread wiki. But do I want to start this now... or wait...?

Dawnstorm
06-17-2011, 03:15 AM
You're strange.

I hear that a lot.

She blushes so much near him. They need to kiss! >:(

*Grabs pitchfork*Not to mention her jealousy over the girl whose name I can't remember. It's a character issue to me. The whole relationship thing looks like play-acting to me, while they really do connect emotionally on a deeper level. Over-regulated Kujo and under-appreciated Victorique. Maybe they can pull it off, but I suspect it'd be awkward.

*Prepares to doge the pitchfork*

I dearly love Steins;Gate. But I said that already, didn't I?

Crap, you're right. I misread wiki. But do I want to start this now... or wait...?

You could wait... and then hook up your phone to your microwave... and...

Nah, never mind.

Chumala
06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Anyone see the last Gosick Episode???

Did you guys see the part where Victorique was dancing in front of the mirror. SHE WAS SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!

Dawnstorm
06-21-2011, 09:47 PM
When Gossick's great it's great. And last ep was one of the best yet, I thought.

AetherNyx
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Never seen Gosick, but I must go check it out now xD My current favorite is Code Geass, I've watched both seasons twice.

Chumala
06-21-2011, 10:47 PM
This is Vic when she gets bored....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKDq8ffj8bI

She is just the best character ever. :D

AetherNyx
06-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Ha, nice.

Anna L.
06-23-2011, 08:35 AM
I started watching Tiger and Bunny today. Superheroes, the Japanese way. The concept is insane (superheroes with super powers must be approved, have sponsors to pay for their powersuits, and perform on live TV like trained dogs) but from Japan you'd believe it.

The flamboyantly gay black superhero is awesome. Too bad he's a minor character.

Camilla Delvalle
06-28-2011, 01:23 AM
After your recommendations, I have seen the 10 first episodes of Ao No Exorcist. It was fun but not brilliant. I will see the rest of the season.

I've also begun on Gosick, and I love it. Especially how Victorique laughs, ha ha ha ha ha.

Chumala
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
After your recommendations, I have seen the 10 first episodes of Ao No Exorcist. It was fun but not brilliant. I will see the rest of the season.

I've also begun on Gosick, and I love it. Especially how Victorique laughs, ha ha ha ha ha.

Isn't she ADORABLE?!?!??! :D

Camilla Delvalle
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I just finished Gosick. Was it only 23 episodes? I don't see how they can continue this series after what happened in the last episode.

The mysteries were great. It was nice that most of them both continued on the previous ones and added to the overall plot.

Except for Victorique the characters were a bit lame, I thought, except for Cordelia Gallo and perhaps some of those that only made short appearances. Victorique was fun, cute, and awesome, though I wouldn't call her adorable since she was so abusive towards Kujo and others. I'd like him to hang out more with Avril, and I'd like to see Cordelia do some more chessmaster/actiongirl awesomeness.

Dawnstorm
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I just finished Gosick. Was it only 23 episodes? I don't see how they can continue this series after what happened in the last episode.

It's still running. Ep24 (which I think is the finale) will be this Saturday/Sunday (depending on your timezone, and whether you rely on fansubs).

New Season next week. Not sure what I'm going to watch.

Blood C has been mentioned, but the one I'm most curious about is Mawaru Penguin Drum. Google it and see if you can make sense of the info. I can't. A mecha show except with live penguins instead of robots? A penguin murder mystery slice of life show? A magical girl show with penguin transfromations? Penguin slapstick? What?

Camilla Delvalle
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes, I saw on Wikipedia that there would be an episode 24. From Wikipedia it also seems that the anime has somewhat followed the series of Light Novels. If there is a second season, I'll watch it. I guess they have to use another setting then. Maybe they can travel around Europe solving cases or something?

Camilla Delvalle
07-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Two days ago I saw 4 episodes of Fairy Tale. I really liked the characters, because they seem nice, though I'm not sure I can stand to watch it because of the shouting, overacting, and violence.

I wonder if there's a Japanese term for this kind of non-realistic anime where they shout a lot, the girls kick the boys in the face or kick them so they fly over the city, there are letters over the characters, the characters sometimes have faces like smilies "X" or "^^", characters can be flattened on the ground like in Tom and Jerry, and so on. Do you guys know if this is called something?

Camilla Delvalle
07-03-2011, 02:26 AM
"Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past." Lol.

Dawnstorm
07-03-2011, 03:23 AM
"Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past." Lol.

Oh, do watch Steins;Gate.

I wonder if there's a Japanese term for this kind of non-realistic anime where they shout a lot, the girls kick the boys in the face or kick them so they fly over the city, there are letters over the characters, the characters sometimes have faces like smilies "X" or "^^", characters can be flattened on the ground like in Tom and Jerry, and so on. Do you guys know if this is called something?

Not sure. This sort of thing pops up all the time. I've heard thos "smily faces" referred to as SD ("super deformed"), but that's really a stylistic touch I've seen in a lot of otherwise pretty serious shows, such as Kimi ni Todoke. Punching guys into lower earth orbit is a staple of harem shows (such as Love Hina).

Camilla Delvalle
07-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Oh, do watch Steins;Gate.
Yes, I began watching that, but then I was bogged down by yaoi.

Dawnstorm
07-04-2011, 11:29 AM
I've just watched the first episode of the second season of Nurarihyon no Mago (sp?) It's probably still not going to be a master piece, but I'm impressed. They kept the cute design from the first, but somehow defused it. Thus the darker side comes out better. Which makes the humour more mischievous, which is attractive. Also, the more alien youkai blend in better. If they keep this up, I'd say they've improved the exectuion. If you liked the concepts of the first season, but ultimately didn't really get into it (like me), you might want to give the show another chance.

Blood C... It's more clamp than Blood, so far. Too early to tell. For example: Saya morphed into a likable klutz. I'll keep watching, at least for a while.

My favourite so far (out of those three - heh) is, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. Little Japanese girl starts living in France (for whatever reason). It's just cute, warm and fuzzy. Fits right in with the anime I saw as a child (Heidi, Perrine, 3000 Miles in Search of Mother...).

Camilla Delvalle
07-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Steins;Gate is scary. "The world line changed. Something happened... But what?"

And that crazy guy reminds of Yagami Light.

Camilla Delvalle
07-06-2011, 03:26 AM
"Yo, I heard you like fail, so we put some fail in your fail, so you can facepalm while you facepalm."

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Why do I suddenly feel like Okabe?

Camilla Delvalle
07-14-2011, 01:19 AM
What do you mean? Has something happened? I didn't notice anything.

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 01:24 AM
What do you mean? Has something happened? I didn't notice anything.

The feeling started yesterday, like we went back several days in time....

Dawnstorm
07-14-2011, 03:22 AM
The feeling started yesterday, like we went back several days in time....

And then never moved forward. Stuck in a black hole. It's the fly-trap of time.

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 03:56 AM
This week's episode of Nichijou wasintense! I liked it.

Though with the new ED, I'm going to be having flashbacks to Shinji pulling naked Rei out of Zeruel and causing Near Third Impact whenever an episode ends.

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Penguins!? Incest!? Oh, Ikuhara, you are a fabulously crazy bastard.

Speaking of Ikuhara, I still need to see Utena. (Yes, I know, I know.). I was waiting for the remastered DVDs to finally come out before watching it. I think they finally have... Must check. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for Star Driver BDs.

LilliCray
07-15-2011, 07:57 AM
*pokes head in* Hellooooo...

I'm giving in to my inner anime geek and posting here. I admit it. I love anime. Mostly (but not entirely) because watching anime in Japanese has given me approximately 60% of my (incredibly limited and admittedly pathetic) working Japanese vocabulary. Also probably some not-so-great grammar habits. But who cares! It rocks!

My favoritest anime of all time would be Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (Legend of the Legendary Heroes) and also Blue Exorcist. I love the storylines. If I ever have money to spare, I fully intend to search for the Japanese novels so I can find out the full DenYuuDen storyline. (Blue Exorcist episode 12 made me cry. I thought, here's one anime that doesn't make me roll my eyes whenever certain eye-candy characters came onscreen! ...and then, episode 12. Sadness.)

I'm currently watching Soul Eater, which I love and think is seriously adorable. I'm in an "adorable" phase. Everything is cute. Or adorable. I'm actually overusing the word "kawaii" (or conjugated variants thereof). *is shamed*

Also liked Nurarihyon no Mago, except I'm seriously having troubles wrapping my head around the concept that the main character (whose name I totally just forgot) has the same voice actor as Ryner from DenYuuDen. I just don't hear it. Unless the voice actors are different people with names with the exact same kanji. Which is highly unlikely. (Incidentally, another character had the same voice actor as the MC from Blue Exorcist. Coincidences apparently come in multiples.)

I'm blathering. Also, each time I type "exorcist," it wants to come out "excorcist." For whatever reason.

Though with the new ED, I'm going to be having flashbacks to Shinji pulling naked Rei out of Zeruel and causing Near Third Impact whenever an episode ends.

O.0 Neon Genesis Evangelion made my head hurt. I liked it, and then the last two episodes came along. Then I had a headache for three days trying to figure out what the crap happened.

Wow, okay. I seriously talk too much. Sorry 'bout that...

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
O.0 Neon Genesis Evangelion made my head hurt. I liked it, and then the last two episodes came along. Then I had a headache for three days trying to figure out what the crap happened.

Did you ever end up watching End of Evangelion? It's more of a proper ending, but if the TV ending made your head hurt, maybe you should avoid it. It's probably my favorite movie ever, though.

Anyway, I was referring to the New Movie Edition, Evangelion 2.22, which uses Tsubasa wo Kudasai.

cryaegm
07-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I pretty much just started watching anime again after a long while of not watching it.

So far, been trying to watch Chobits when I can. I just finished up Shikabane Hime: Aka and Shikabane Hime: Kuro, along with Kannagi, Eureka Seven, and High School of the Dead.

So far, that's been it. :D;

Little Ming
07-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm giving in to my inner anime geek and posting here. I admit it. I love anime....

One of us, one of us...

Though I shouldn't be one to speak, it's been months since I've watched my last full anime. :cry:

I'm currently watching Soul Eater, which I love and think is seriously adorable. I'm in an "adorable" phase. Everything is cute. Or adorable. I'm actually overusing the word "kawaii" (or conjugated variants thereof). *is shamed*

I was thinking of watching Soul Eater, but I was under the impression that it was a more "violent" anime. Am I mistaken? Not that I don't love "adorable" anime.... ;)

I think the last full anime I watched was Pandora Hearts, and I really loved it until the last few episodes... then it got weird. :Wha: Before that it was D.Gray-man, which was also pretty good though it one of those non-endings when the anime catches up to the manga.

And I still have to watch Gosick since everyone here seems to love it. I'm pretty certain that one is adorable.

Sooooo much new anime, I don't know where to begin...

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Soooo much new anime, I don't know where to begin...

I don't remember your tastes, but IMO, Star Driver and Madoka are by far the best things to have come out recently.

Little Ming
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't remember your tastes, but IMO, Star Driver and Madoka are by far the best things to have come out recently.

I'll trust your taste. Okay, so Star Driver and Madoka are on the list, right after Gosick and Soul Eater. :)

I don't really know how to quantify my tastes. I loved Gundam Seed, but was not fond of Gundam 00. I loved Fruits Basket, but hated Chobits. I hated Eva (sorry), but generally I like mind-screws. I loved FMA (both seasons) and Death Note (manga). I loved the beginning of Naruto and Bleach, but got tired of them during the last 200ish episodes. I like D.Gray-man, Pandora Hearts, Darker than Black and Black Butler... so I don't know where this puts me. :Wha:

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Kamisama no Memochou looks to be this season's Gosick, now darker and edgier.

Dawnstorm
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Penguins!? Incest!? Oh, Ikuhara, you are a fabulously crazy bastard.

Let's all waddle to the beat of the Penguin Drum... I take it you found your way to the most... interesting show of the season?

My favourite debut so far this season is still Usagi Drop. The shorts (up to 5 min per episode) this season are quite interesting, too: Morita san wa mukuchi and Double J, both slice of life (ideal for the mini-format).

Also liked Nurarihyon no Mago

Have you caught the beginning of season 2? It's now running, and, IMO, it's much improved. Better pace, better character design (the more outlandish Youkai don't stand out as much, anymore), more of an edge. It's probably the surprise of the season for me. (I liked season 1 well enough but didn't think it was anything special.)

And I still have to watch Gosick since everyone here seems to love it.

Hey, I thought it was merely okay. There are many show's I'd recomend over it.

And, yes, Madoka is certainly one of them.

I don't like Star Driver as much as Kuwisdelu, but it's well worth a watch. Word of advice, it takes a while to get to get started, and if you watch to many episodes at once you may end up hating a certain battle intiating sequence. But they're doing great with character development, which is what counts. So, even if you don't like it straight away, stick it out for a while. It's worth it (probably).

...so I don't know where this puts me.Neither do I. I've seen Fruits Basket and Chobits (and liked both). I've seen Eva (and loved it - although the last two TV-eps were... drawn-out. I'm not opposed to the ending as such, but 2 episodes? I've seen End of Eva, and like it much better then the TV-ending.) A bit of Naruto. An episode or two of D-Gray Man (not enough to judge, by a long shot). And that's it.

Madoka is a pretty safe bet, since lots of people of different tastes seem to love it. And if you're not opposed to mindfuck, the witch-battles are probably not going to turn you off (which was one of the major critique points I hear - that aspect seems to be a hate-it/love-it situation - me? Shinbou animation + Kajiura soundtrack = Instant Love).

And for those who enjoyed Gosick for the mystery aspect, I'll suggest the currently running Kami Sama no Memou Chou (God's Memo Pad). Main-character dynamics and mystery aspect appears similar to Gothic, but the urban setting, internet setting, and roster of characters give more of a Durarara!!! (Watch that, if you haven't already.) feel. Who knows how that'll turn out. To early to tell how good it'll end up being. (ETA: Heh, beaten to it.)

KLynx
07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee is probably my favorite so far this season. With this type of show you can tell right away, with the others it's too early.

I'm hoping Blood-C won't disappoint over much.
No. 6 - the first episode was a bit confusing
Kamisama Dolls- I enjoyed ep. 1, seems interesting
Yuri Yuru- strange but possibly may be a watch for cuteness

The next Hellsing OVA will come out this month too, I think, which I'm stoked for.

Top 10 over-all Anime favorites so far out of 313 series completed (in no particular order):

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
12 Kingdoms
Eureka 7
FMA:B (I haven't seen the first series yet)
Kemono no Souja Erin
Black Lagoon
NANA
Noir
Mushi

LOG
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Been watching Vandread and V: Second Stage.
I like the designs, and the concept, but I feel the execution hurts it. I think the pacing is too fast and that they sometimes don't spend enough time on certain subjects.

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Let's all waddle to the beat of the Penguin Drum... I take it you found your way to the most... interesting show of the season?

We'll certainly see, but all my Evageeks friends seem to love Utena, and I tend to trust their taste.

My favourite debut so far this season is still Usagi Drop.

I've heard very good things about this one, too, but haven't gotten to it yet. It's definitely one I'm looking forward to.

And, yes, Madoka is certainly one of them.

I don't like Star Driver as much as Kuwisdelu, but it's well worth a watch. Word of advice, it takes a while to get to get started, and if you watch to many episodes at once you may end up hating a certain battle intiating sequence. But they're doing great with character development, which is what counts. So, even if you don't like it straight away, stick it out for a while. It's worth it (probably).

Neither do I. I've seen Fruits Basket and Chobits (and liked both). I've seen Eva (and loved it - although the last two TV-eps were... drawn-out. I'm not opposed to the ending as such, but 2 episodes? I've seen End of Eva, and like it much better then the TV-ending.) A bit of Naruto. An episode or two of D-Gray Man (not enough to judge, by a long shot). And that's it.

Madoka is a pretty safe bet, since lots of people of different tastes seem to love it. And if you're not opposed to mindfuck, the witch-battles are probably not going to turn you off (which was one of the major critique points I hear - that aspect seems to be a hate-it/love-it situation - me? Shinbou animation + Kajiura soundtrack = Instant Love).

Heh. IMO, Madoka was mindfuck Lite. If I'd had my way, I'd have Shinbo stretch out the last two episodes into two. One isn't enough for an adequate mindfuck. (Yes, I loved episodes 25 and 26 of Eva and the movie.). Shinbo cites Anno as a major inspiration of his. I wish I'd gotten more than one measly episode of mindfuck. I thought Shinbo had more balls than that. Meh.

In any case, I just rewatched the last episodes of Madoka, Star Driver, and Sora no Woto on a whim. All three stood up to repeat watchings, splendidly.

Camilla Delvalle
07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
This viewer has just finished Spice and Fox. For a long time I've been wondering what the genre low fantasy would be like, and now I've found an example. A couple of criminals traveling around scamming merchants. It could hardly get less epic, and except for the few occasions when Holo goes fox, there's only a couple of instances of magic besides that. My favourite subplot was the one involving a shepardess, some sheep, and a few wolves.

This series is especially recommended for you who liked Gosick, and for chessmaster wannabees. Holo is very similar to Victorique. It's just that instead of solving mysteries they concoct enormously complicated scams. Like the fool's gold plot, it took an entire episode just to explain what they were about to do. This is like the first time ever that I've not been able to follow the plot, and the love story is even worse.

Camilla Delvalle
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Heh. IMO, Madoka was mindfuck Lite. If I'd had my way, I'd have Shinbo stretch out the last two episodes into two. One isn't enough for an adequate mindfuck. (Yes, I loved episodes 25 and 26 of Eva and the movie.). Shinbo cites Anno as a major inspiration of his. I wish I'd gotten more than one measly episode of mindfuck. I thought Shinbo had more balls than that. Meh.
You don't wanna watch Utena. You're gonna be so fucked.

LilliCray
07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
I was thinking of watching Soul Eater, but I was under the impression that it was a more "violent" anime. Am I mistaken? Not that I don't love "adorable" anime.... ;)

I think the last full anime I watched was Pandora Hearts, and I really loved it until the last few episodes... then it got weird. :Wha: Before that it was D.Gray-man, which was also pretty good though it one of those non-endings when the anime catches up to the manga.

I honestly have no idea how "violent" Soul Eater would be considered by normal people. Like I said, I'm in an "adorable" phase. I don't see the seriously messed-up parts... just the superfreakingadorable parts. Which may or may not actually be adorable. It's actually starting to freak me out a little... heheh. ^^'

Have you caught the beginning of season 2? It's now running, and, IMO, it's much improved. Better pace, better character design (the more outlandish Youkai don't stand out as much, anymore), more of an edge. It's probably the surprise of the season for me. (I liked season 1 well enough but didn't think it was anything special.)

Heh... I feel kind of the opposite. I liked the first season, but caught the first episode of the second and was seriously not impressed. Mostly this is because the script changed fairly drastically in the first ep's incident from what it had been portrayed as in the flashbacks from the first season, and it's really not a big deal but continuity mess-ups like that really, really, really bug me. (Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know how much of the actual dialogue changes might have been due to different translators or something, but I definitely got the sense the scene was expanded upon without adhering to the original flashbacks' structure.......)

Also, the fact that Rikuo is voiced by Jun Fukuyama is really starting to bug me. I seriously can't recognize the voice at all, even knowing that I *should* be able to recognize it, and for some reason this bugs me majorly. Probably it's just because I'm a total freak. Oh, well.

Little Ming
07-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I think my problem with Eva wasn't so much the mindfuck, but the characters. I hated the characters. I think for much of the series I was hoping for all of them to just die.

Just watched a few episodes of Soul Eater. I say its more comical/cartoon violence. But I can see where "adorable" comes from. And OMG the fanservice! :Jaw:

Now I'll also have to add Kamisama no Memochou and Spice and Wolf to my list. I need to watch faster. :D

kuwisdelu
07-15-2011, 09:35 PM
You don't wanna watch Utena. You're gonna be so fucked.

Now I know I'll enjoy it.

I think my problem with Eva wasn't so much the mindfuck, but the characters. I hated the characters. I think for much of the series I was hoping for all of them to just die.

Mmm, I see. I can kind of understand that. It takes certain kinds of life experiences to be able to relate to Eva's characters. I get that lots of people don't like them. It so happens, I identify with them very, very strongly. Some people don't. Me? They are the characters to which I've felt the most strongly connected, in any media.

On a related note, I'm currently nervous because someone is logged onto my department's Linux server with the username "seele." It's probably a coincidence. But if you've seen Eva, you know why it makes me nervous.

Dawnstorm
07-15-2011, 10:01 PM

1. It wasn't Shinbou's story. Personally, I thought being reigned in like that did him good.

2. I personally consider nothing about Madoka a mind-fuck. I'm going by what others say - many couldn't make heads nor tails of the witches. Me? I s'pose my minds permanently fucked, anyway.

And... I'm so going to watch Penguin Drum. It's fun.

In any case, I just rewatched the last episodes of Madoka, Star Driver, and Sora no Woto on a whim. All three stood up to repeat watchings, splendidly.

Ooh, ooh. Sora no Woto!

Heh... I feel kind of the opposite. I liked the first season, but caught the first episode of the second and was seriously not impressed. Mostly this is because the script changed fairly drastically in the first ep's incident from what it had been portrayed as in the flashbacks from the first season, and it's really not a big deal but continuity mess-ups like that really, really, really bug me.

Heh, I was sort of worried you'd feel that way. Although I don't remember a continuity mess up. Didn't we see only part of what happened, and from another point-of-view anyway? (The scene choreography is certainly different, but I don't think that's what you're saying.)

However, me not remembering says nothing really. Heh.

LOG
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
I may posted this before.
It should b posted again even if it has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d8i8H2q2jA

I thought we were supposed to hate the Evangelion characters...

LilliCray
07-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Just watched a few episodes of Soul Eater. I say its more comical/cartoon violence. But I can see where "adorable" comes from. And OMG the fanservice!

The fanservice actually doesn't feature as prominently as one might think from the first episode. It's definitely there, but mostly it's Blair, who doesn't show up much.

Unless I didn't notice other fanservice-y things. Which is entirely possible, since I'm not interested in stuff like that and tend not to notice it unless a crapload of attention is drawn to it (like Blue Exorcist episode 12. TT.TT)

Heh, I was sort of worried you'd feel that way. Although I don't remember a continuity mess up. Didn't we see only part of what happened, and from another point-of-view anyway? (The scene choreography is certainly different, but I don't think that's what you're saying.)

However, me not remembering says nothing really. Heh.

There was a line that was a huge deal in Kana's flashback in the first scene, something like "if it's scary, close your eyes," which wasn't quite the same, and I believe the point at which the characters in the bus woke up was a little different, or at least the positions of the good guys at that point was different, and also suddenly instead of just one bad guy there were, like, thirty million. (Technically, all the continuity mismatches could be explained by faulty memory, considering it had been, what, five years or so?) But I have a really, really detail-oriented brain, and I notice very, very small errors in continuity, so really I doubt any (saner) person would have issues with it.

True story: in Dean Koontz's Mr. Murder, there are descriptions of how each of a little girl's weird-pet menagerie is killed. Something like one or two hundred pages later, someone tells the girl's dad how her hamster and gerbil died, but the deaths were switched from what they'd been at the time. And I actually remembered. And yet somehow I frequently forget to take my meds every day..... my brain is seriously weird.

What are some of you guys' takes on anime series movies? I've always been somewhat leery of them (and downright refuse to watch the RahXephon movie, because the series had the best ending ever and I didn't want that memory tainted in my mind) which was only worsened when I watched the Escaflowne movie. Which seriously made my head hurt. What the crap, they did an alternate retelling of the series in movie format? Why, for the love of all that is good and completely necessary???

Dawnstorm
07-16-2011, 02:22 AM
There was a line that was a huge deal in Kana's flashback in the first scene, something like "if it's scary, close your eyes," which wasn't quite the same, and I believe the point at which the characters in the bus woke up was a little different, or at least the positions of the good guys at that point was different, and also suddenly instead of just one bad guy there were, like, thirty million.

Ah, I see. Some things are coming back. I've put the differences I did remember down to different pov, but there are too many. Doesn't really cut it.

Actually, I think the problem here is that the show (both seasons) is an adaptation of a manga, and it's obvious that season 2 has a different take on the source material (I can't talk about the manga as I don't know it at all). So I think differences are due to a different adaptation philosophy (and - without knowing the source material - the second season is more attractive to me, that way).

(Btw, I have a very selective memory.)

What are some of you guys' takes on anime series movies? I've always been somewhat leery of them (and downright refuse to watch the RahXephon movie, because the series had the best ending ever and I didn't want that memory tainted in my mind) which was only worsened when I watched the Escaflowne movie. Which seriously made my head hurt. What the crap, they did an alternate retelling of the series in movie format? Why, for the love of all that is good and completely necessary???

It depends. Re-tellings almost never work. My prime example is the X movie. It was terrible. It kept all the clichés and threw out everything that made the series great.

On the other hand, tie-ins can be great, as the recent Haruhi Suzumiya movie showed. Stellar animation, great story line, entirely consistent with the series. I haven't yet seen the Eden of the East movies, but they've got the potential to fit that category, too.

Always depends on the concept.

Little Ming
07-16-2011, 07:35 AM
It depends. Re-tellings almost never work. My prime example is the X movie. It was terrible. It kept all the clichés and threw out everything that made the series great.

Oh why did you have to remind me of that terrible movie?

Sadly I saw the movie before I watched the series, so I was even more confused. IIRC the manga was never finished, so I guess the end of the world never happened. :tongue

On the other hand, tie-ins can be great, as the recent Haruhi Suzumiya movie showed. Stellar animation, great story line, entirely consistent with the series. I haven't yet seen the Eden of the East movies, but they've got the potential to fit that category, too.

Always depends on the concept.

Another good tie-in movie is Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heaven's Door. It takes place somewhere in the middle of the anime.

The first FMA film wasn't terrible and the first anime ended on a cliffhanger so the film was appropriate. Now I need to wait for the second FMA film. *fingers crossed*

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Penguins are awesome.

Also, if you want some damn good movies, besides the big names like Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki, and Makoto Shinkai, the Kara no Kyoukai series of movies are incredibly awesome.

And there's always Rebuild. *goes back to waiting for Evangelion 3.0*

The two Eden of the East movies are okay. They're not bad, but they're not as awesome as I was hoping. Worth watching, at least.

Little Ming
07-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Penguins are awesome.

Also, if you want some damn good movies, besides the big names like Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki, and Makoto Shinkai, the Kara no Kyoukai series of movies are incredibly awesome.

I actually have those movies. :D

I'm surprised how much backlog anime I have.

The two Eden of the East movies are okay. They're not bad, but they're not as awesome as I was hoping. Worth watching, at least.

Can I watch the movies without watching the series?

Anyone watch Break Blade? I have that one sitting on my hard drive too.

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I actually have those movies. :D

I'm surprised how much backlog anime I have.

Depending how long ago you got them, you may want to re-get them, since the BD's came out relatively recently, and it's definitely worth watching in HD.

Can I watch the movies without watching the series?

No, not really. They take place after the series, and they don't really bother explaining what happened during the series.

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm also loving Usagi Drop. It's pretty mundane, it's pretty slow, but somehow I feel a strong connection to the characters that has me hooked already. Art style is similar to Hourou Musuko.

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 10:39 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/subgroup-chart.png

LOG
07-16-2011, 10:56 PM
That diagram have a key?

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 11:16 PM
That diagram have a key?

It just shows the links in shared staff members between the incestuous web of fansub groups. Commie posted it.

kuwisdelu
07-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Eating pizza always makes me want to rewatch Code Geass.

Dawnstorm
07-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh why did you have to remind me of that terrible movie?

Sadly I saw the movie before I watched the series, so I was even more confused. IIRC the manga was never finished, so I guess the end of the world never happened. :tongue

I saw the movie before the series, too. In fact, I saw about half the movie, before I quit on it. And then I didn't watch the series when it was running on TV. Then there was a rerun and I was bored...

How can a movie be so terrible and a series be that great? (And it did have an ending. One of the better anime endings, actually. It made total sense.) I mean, I then watched the movie again, because I couldn't believe it was that bad. This time I made it through the entire movie. It was that bad. No way around it.

I have the first three. By August, all seven are going to be available in my area. I love them. A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack always helps.

So they're basically in the okay category? I actually thought the series fun, but not that special either, so I wonder whether I should get the movies anyway.

I'm also loving Usagi Drop. It's pretty mundane, it's pretty slow, but somehow I feel a strong connection to the characters that has me hooked already. Art style is similar to Hourou Musuko.

I personally think Hourou Musuko did the watercolour style better, but then Usagi Drop uses "style slips" (superdeformed for Rin's lesser frustrations) in the concept, so they have to stay more flexible. Reminds me a bit of Kimi ni Todoke that way (same studio).

The show's strength is definitely in the characters.

kuwisdelu
07-17-2011, 12:48 AM
I have the first three. By August, all seven are going to be available in my area. I love them. A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack always helps.

I don't think they've even been licensed here. They're only available as a Japanese import for $400 from Aniplex last I checked.

So they're basically in the okay category? I actually thought the series fun, but not that special either, so I wonder whether I should get the movies anyway.

I enjoyed them, but I haven't felt a particular need to rewatch them yet, unlike movies lik KnK, Disappearance, Eva Rebuild, etc.

kuwisdelu
07-17-2011, 04:01 AM
This week's episode of Nichijou was intense! I liked it.

Hmm, perhaps someone at KyoAni had the same thoughts. Nichijou 15 has a new ED song again.

Little Ming
07-17-2011, 04:08 AM
... A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack always helps.

I love Yuki Kajiura. I suffered through more than one mediocre anime just because the music was good. :D

kuwisdelu
07-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Episode 2 of Baka to Test Ni was awesome. Definitely not as intellectual an anime as I usually like, but hilarious nonetheless. If only they hadn't stopped the contest before Hideyoshi took the stage! Whyyyy?

kuwisdelu
07-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Episode 2 of Kamisama no Memochou. I'm enjoying it so far. I thought the Victorique/Alice character archetype would be boring to me by now, but I guess the wholly different setting and tone is enough to keep me interested. Though I have to say, the main male character is easily the least interesting part about the show so far. This seems endemic of recent anime. I know, I know, he's probably supposed to be an audience avatar, an outsider to the strangeness, someone easily relatable, but still... your core audience is still going to be otaku, so who are they going to relate to more: a (so far) boring, average guy, or a bunch of NEETs? Seriously.

In retrospect, I'm very glad Darker than Black (the last not currently-airing series I watched, got this right. Screw easily relatable audience avatars! I want an interesting lead!

Dawnstorm
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM
In retrospect, I'm very glad Darker than Black (the last not currently-airing series I watched, got this right. Screw easily relatable audience avatars! I want an interesting lead!

It's one of the main attractions of Steins;Gate, too, isn't it? (And where Chaos;Head failed, by - apparently - trying to have it both ways).

I've only seen ep 1 of Kami Sama Memou Chou so far, but I actually had a feeling that the dullness is an actual character trait this time round. He certainly seems more real/relatable than Kujo in Gossick to me.

Come to think of it: If you want interesting leads, do watch Ore tachi ni Tsubasa Wai from last season. And withstand the pointless ecchi content; it's worth it. (The conclusion is a bit rushed - they introduce vital backstory info-dump style in the last episode!!! But other than that [and pointless ecchi] the show's actually good.)

LilliCray
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Reading this thread makes me realize I haven't seen very much anime.

A ton of my friends absolutely love Code Geass, but that's one of only two anime series that I never got through the first episode. Usually I watch at least the first episode all the way through, but when the kid told that group of soldiers to commit suicide and they actually did... that was really, really upsetting for me. I seriously couldn't imagine trying to watch the whole bloody thing. Although I really liked the opening...

The other anime I couldn't finish even one episode of was SoulTaker. Very... weird. Interesting premise, but just a little too weird in execution for me to keep watching. Also, the animation style made my head hurt.

I think I much prefer cute, light-hearted anime.

LOG
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
After the poor to mediocre experience I had watching Vandread, I feel like finding a well-done Balanced Harem series, preferably with a Tenchi Solution. I only know two: the Tenchi series and Umi no Misaki.
To TVTropes!

c.m.n.
07-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I am absolutely loving Gintama lately. :)

Okay, the first 20 episodes or so are hard to muddle through. But after that it gets better.
Yeah, I'm sort of behind, I just started watching it hehe.

But I guess I would call it episodic. Though most episodes are comedic, some short arcs are very dramatic... though not at all depressing as the crappy, long arcs in Bleach or Naruto.
And they're short, 4-5 episodes each.

LOG
07-17-2011, 09:37 PM
The series I've found so far to look at:

Love Hina (It's actually classified as a support harem, but I'm interested anyways.)
Hoshizora E Kakaru Hashi
Asobi Ni Iku Yo
SHUFFLE!
Kanon
Infinite Stratos

Anyone have anything to say for or against any of them? Any other Balanced Harem/Tenchi Solution anime/manga suggestions?

Dawnstorm
07-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Love Hina (It's actually classified as a support harem, but I'm interested anyways.)

The classic. It's good fun, and I really love the opening song. It's got flying mecha turtles!

Hoshizora E Kakaru HashiHaven't seen. Don't know.

Asobi Ni Iku YoFull of absurd fan service, but surprisingly fun. If you like this, you might check out To Love Ru, which is in a similar vein.

SHUFFLE!It's okay, I guess. Nothing special. It doesn't have the sort of ending you're looking for, though.

KanonOne of the better ones, if you can get past the ridicularly [I just had to leave that typo in: "ridicular" should be in the dictionary] large eyes. I had the impression his harem consisted of D&D Beholders... And it's not really balanced, since the plot has a very clear centre. (Actually, I'd say it's a support harem much like Love Hina.)

But if you do like that show, I suggest you also check out Clannad, which is - IMO - much better. (Clannad After Story, too, but it's no longer a harem.)

Infinite StratosNo. Just no. The main character is an idiot (which isn't exactly rare in anime), and he passes the virus on to any girl he meets. They all turn into doting idiots who lose all individuality. (One exception.) It's a true balanced harem, though.

Also, you might try:

Amagami SS. It's a "serial harem", in the sense that the guy's really a monogamist, but the series reboots every four episodes to focus on a new girl. (Very distinct and likable characters. Oh, and I'd join that tea club in a heart beat... :o ) Anyway, that format makes it the most balanced of all harem shows, if you're willing to accept it as one in the first place. ;)

ETA:

Oh, and maybe White Album. It starts out unbalanced, but it ends on a balanced note.

Dawnstorm
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
My favourite scene in this week's Nichijou: Sakamoto looking back at anxious Nano, walking away and saying, "Nya". Priceless.

kuwisdelu
07-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Anyone have anything to say for or against any of them? Any other Balanced Harem/Tenchi Solution anime/manga suggestions?

It's not really a harem show, but Macross Frontier is a ridiculously awesome series that often gets ignored in the West because it'll never get licensed. It's a mecha series, with space dog fights choreographed to the music of Yoko Kanno, as sung by the two idols who compose the main character's harem. And Kawamori seems to love tenchi solutions, but they're usually just threesomes.

LOG
07-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Should I watch the Macross series (just the TV series mind) by in-series chronology, or release date?

Edit: On the matter of Infinite Stratos, looks like it's another light novel series adapted for anime, and considering it's only 12 ep...yeah, that seems like a bad idea. There is a manga adaption though, that may be worthwhile...

Has anyone seen any sign(s) of Japanese (light) novels being translated or coming to the U.S. in greater numbers? I've only ever been able to find a single book from Japan here in the U.S., and that was the first novel of the Twelve Kingdom series. Unfortunately I had already seen the anime, so a lot of the inner emotional turmoil and drama that the book tried to create was ruined.

Camilla Delvalle
07-18-2011, 03:03 AM
What's a Tenchi solution? The TV tropes explanation didn't make any sense to me.

kuwisdelu
07-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Should I watch the Macross series (just the TV series mind) by in-series chronology, or release date?

I actually haven't seen the original yet. They're interrelated, but most can be viewed independently of all the others. If you want to go through the old ones first, I think Kawamori recommended having watched the original, and re-watching Macross Zero, to get ready for Frontier. I was impatient and jumped right into Macross Frontier, though. All the important background you can infer.

Camilla Delvalle
07-18-2011, 04:58 AM
I wanna watch harem too. I tried Love Hina, but it was to loud and violent for me. I hope they are not all like that.

So much to watch! I'm getting anxiety from this.

Dawnstorm
07-18-2011, 08:53 AM
I wanna watch harem too. I tried Love Hina, but it was to loud and violent for me. I hope they are not all like that.

For a while I thought the Japanese space program involved accidently walking in on girls dressing and getting puched into orbit. It's a staple, but, no, not all are like that.

I suggest Clannad, Amagami SS, and White Album (which doesn't appear that popular, but I liked it).

EDIT: You know you watch too much anime, when you type "White Album" into google and the anime comes up before the Beatles album. Heh.

Camilla Delvalle
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Interesting, all those three animes are based on romantic computer games. Anyway, I'll look into them.

kuwisdelu
07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Interesting, all those three animes are based on romantic computer games. Anyway, I'll look into them.

96.3% of harem series are.

I haven't seen White Album, but I very much enjoyed Clannad and Amagami SS, though the former develops into monogamy and the latter is more a revolving girl-of-the-arc different reset routes thing. Amagami SS didn't annoy me nearly as much as that format usually does.

Though definitely no longer a harem show, I'd say Clannad: After Story is the overall best thing that Key has done so far.

Chumala
07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
So... I'm not sure if this is considered anime, but due to my disappointment in Gosick's ending, I haven't really found any new anime I'm interested in. So I started to watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.....I must say that show is quite.... entertaining to say the least, the characters are all enjoyable. (Applejack's my favorite, with Buttershy ((I think her name is)) in a close second).

Is there anything out this season that is romance? Not Harem.... BECAUSE THOSE SUCK AND NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!.... Gahhh what was the name of that harem where the kid could either choose the princess of hell or the princess of heaven.... then he says "Nope I'm going with the normal human girl." .... Normal human girl/ Childhood friend looked terrible.... just terrible....

The only decent harem in all of anime is Rosario Vampire.... they attempted to do it right and actually choose a girl for the guy to get with, plus the girl was adorable and a asskicking vampire. How much win is that? :D

But really? I need suggestions. :/

kuwisdelu
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
None that I'm currently watching. I forget if you watched Kimi ni Todoke? I also enjoyed Kaichou wa Maid-sama from last year. ETA: Just checked. I'm not currently watching it, but you can try Uta no Prince-sama (http://myanimelist.net/anime/10321/Uta_no☆Prince-sama♪_Maji_Love_1000).

Dawnstorm
07-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Is there anything out this season that is romance? Not Harem.... BECAUSE THOSE SUCK AND NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!....

Can't think of anything (Uto no Prince Sama seems to be a reverse harem,)

Gahhh what was the name of that harem where the kid could either choose the princess of hell or the princess of heaven.... then he says "Nope I'm going with the normal human girl." .... Normal human girl/ Childhood friend looked terrible.... just terrible.... That's Shuffle.

But really? I need suggestions. :/What are some Romances you enjoyed? I have this feeling that if I just suggest my favourites you'll be either bored or annoyed by them. Our tastes don't seem to match that much, do they?

A couple of Romances I enjoyed:

Kimi ni Todoke
True Tears
Toradora
Myself, Yourself
Lovely Complex
Aishiteru Ze Baby
Suzuka

LOG
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
So I started to watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.....I must say that show is quite.... entertaining to say the least, the characters are all enjoyable. (Applejack's my favorite, with Buttershy ((I think her name is)) in a close second).
Fluttershy; her name is Fluttershy. Where do you get the 'B' sound? (We have an MLP thread here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207325)) Wether MLP is anime or not depends on how you define anime.

Is there anything out this season that is romance? Not Harem.... BECAUSE THOSE SUCK AND NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!....
Tenchi solutions count as something happening in my book if said solution actually takes effort to achieve. But otherwise, yeah, I don't like them. That's why I was looking for Balanced Harem/Tenchi Solutions.

As far as romance, I'm not particularly enamored of either monogamy or polygamy. I just gravitate towards polygamy because it tends to lead to more emotional drama. Too often I get romance that seems to revolve seeing how many different ways implausible and wacky things can happen in a single, closed environment--even when it's not a romantic comedy. [1]

I prefer more open and fluid environments, but "slice of life" and other romances seem to like single or few closed environments. At least if I have to suffer through closed environments that constantly reset to status quo, then getting more people in the mix at least allows for more things to happen.
Really, not all that many one-on-one romances seem to move around much either, even if it's not always returning to status quo, they rarely feel as if they're alive. They act and play out flat.
That said, an open environment doesn't necessarily mean I'll like the story, and closed environments can potentially be done well. I just prefer them open.

For a harem, Umi no Misaki, I think, does a pretty good job with handling emotions (i.e. romance) and atmosphere. The plot actually moves forward at a steady pace and the characters change and react according to what has occurred, but they're also proactive people.

[1] When I say "closed environment," I don't necessarily mean it's closed in a physical sense (although that's fairly common too) but rather that it's as if the entire world of the story exists in some kind of pocket universe. I'm not looking for hyper-realism, nor do I mean to suggest that I look for stories with unexpected occurrences as a sign of fluidity. In a sense it's kind of like how many stories have a habit of returning to status quo after every episode or story arc, but it has more to do with the kind of atmosphere that the story can create, and is usually accomplished through plot and character. In what I consider an "open" or "fluid" environment, the characters push and they pull on the environment around them as it pushes and pulls on them as well. That's about as best I can summarize it. Sorry if it's kind of nebulous. I'll look for some examples to see if I can pin it down more.

Camilla Delvalle
07-19-2011, 12:16 AM
So... I'm not sure if this is considered anime, but due to my disappointment in Gosick's ending, I haven't really found any new anime I'm interested in. So I started to watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.....I must say that show is quite.... entertaining to say the least, the characters are all enjoyable. (Applejack's my favorite, with Buttershy ((I think her name is)) in a close second).

Have you seen Spice and Wolf? I thought it was somewhat similar to Gosick, and it didn't have a disappointing ending.

The only decent harem in all of anime is Rosario Vampire.... they attempted to do it right and actually choose a girl for the guy to get with, plus the girl was adorable and a asskicking vampire. How much win is that? :D

Here I was thinking that I'm the only one who liked that series. It had fun characters and it was nice to see how they learned to cooperate. This made me endure the horrible fan-service, but in the beginning of the second season it became too much and I couldn't watch any more.

Camilla Delvalle
07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
I prefer more open and fluid environments, but "slice of life" and other romances seem to like single or few closed environments. At least if I have to suffer through closed environments that constantly reset to status quo, then getting more people in the mix at least allows for more things to happen.
Really, not all that many one-on-one romances seem to move around much either, even if it's not always returning to status quo, they rarely feel as if they're alive. They act and play out flat.
That said, an open environment doesn't necessarily mean I'll like the story, and closed environments can potentially be done well. I just prefer them open.

Resets are not so fun. Especially when they have their memories erased, that's just a waste. All that they had learned thrown into the garbage. I like when the characters change during the series. I think an example of a series that you'd probably call open is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Even though it was a long series, things changed all the time, even the setting sometimes, if not in every episode, and there was interaction with the environment. I see Buffy as an ideal of how a long series can develop over time.

Camilla Delvalle
07-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Ok, I began on Amagami SS and it seems promising. It's not at all annoying. I'm also glad that the main character boy is not totally shy. He actually said to one girl that he liked her in the first episode!

Dawnstorm
07-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Ok, I began on Amagami SS and it seems promising. It's not at all annoying. I'm also glad that the main character boy is not totally shy. He actually said to one girl that he liked her in the first episode!

It's not like I haven't said it before, but since you don't like resets... This show resets completely every four episodes. What you get is 6 alternate timelines (one for each girl). This sort of explains the pacing. They have only 4 episodes to tell their story. (It's not like the resets in Steins;Gate, though, since you get a conclusion every time.)

The characters are what makes this show. (Even the minor characters are well drawn and indivituated.)

kuwisdelu
07-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Have you seen Spice and Wolf? I thought it was somewhat similar to Gosick, and it didn't have a disappointing ending.

That's because it didn't have an ending.

*season3wheregrumblegrumble*

It's not like I haven't said it before, but since you don't like resets... This show resets completely every four episodes. What you get is 6 alternate timelines (one for each girl). This sort of explains the pacing. They have only 4 episodes to tell their story. (It's not like the resets in Steins;Gate, though, since you get a conclusion every time.)

The characters are what makes this show. (Even the minor characters are well drawn and indivituated.)

I think the reason it didn't annoy me is most of the arcs gave pretty reasonably thorough emotional development to the girl in the arc. Most of them felt complete, even if I would have liked to see more, so it didn't feel like such a waste when it reset to focus on someone else.

I'm not much of a romance guy. I enjoy them if they're good, but I don't seek them out.

Dawnstorm
07-19-2011, 06:09 AM
I think the reason it didn't annoy me is most of the arcs gave pretty reasonably thorough emotional development to the girl in the arc. Most of them felt complete, even if I would have liked to see more, so it didn't feel like such a waste when it reset to focus on someone else.

Agree completely. These shorts make sense as stories in themselves. Although sometimes I found that the romance ending seemed a bit rushed. (I thought the girls singing their own ending themes was a nice characterisation touch.)

I'm not much of a romance guy. I enjoy them if they're good, but I don't seek them out.

I watch pretty much everything, except sports. (And watch that, too, if it promises to be interesting.) Usually, it's the visuals that draw me. If I like the character design, I'm going to watch the show.

That reminds me of a harem show I quit after about half an episode (because I didn't like the character design):

School Days

From what I hear the ending is... unique, for a harem show.

kuwisdelu
07-19-2011, 06:20 AM
I watch pretty much everything, except sports. (And watch that, too, if it promises to be interesting.) Usually, it's the visuals that draw me. If I like the character design, I'm going to watch the show.

I'll watch anything with a premise that interests me. The genre doesn't really matter to me.

My favorites tend to be those shows which really take advantage of the animated format to tell stories that would be difficult to tell in any other way. Often those happen to fall into sci-fi or supernatural or magical realism. And I prefer more serious and ambitious storylines. We'll see where Mawaru Penguindrum goes... :D

Camilla Delvalle
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
It's not like I haven't said it before, but since you don't like resets... This show resets completely every four episodes. What you get is 6 alternate timelines (one for each girl). This sort of explains the pacing. They have only 4 episodes to tell their story.
You are right. Though maybe I'll like it if it is done well. What I was thinking about when discussing resets was more what happens in some very long, episodic, series. E.g. in Charmed, which is about three sisters who are witches, often the secondary characters lose their memories of what happened at the end of the episode. Thus it's like the episode never happened. At least in the first season it doesn't matter much if one watches the episodes out of order, because they are all similar, and there is no significant change from episode 2 to 20. One could easily miss 5 episodes and not even notice it.

I've never before seen any romantic anime that I have liked, except Chobits if that is romantic, but so far I like Amagami SS.

kuwisdelu
07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
You know you're an otaku when you have MAL's database programmed in as a search engine accessible from a keyboard shortcut anywhere in your OS.

Dawnstorm
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
You are right. Though maybe I'll like it if it is done well. What I was thinking about when discussing resets was more what happens in some very long, episodic, series. E.g. in Charmed, which is about three sisters who are witches, often the secondary characters lose their memories of what happened at the end of the episode. Thus it's like the episode never happened. At least in the first season it doesn't matter much if one watches the episodes out of order, because they are all similar, and there is no significant change from episode 2 to 20. One could easily miss 5 episodes and not even notice it.

Ah, I see. I think I get it now (and also LOG's broader point). I call that to myself the "reduced universe mode of fiction", but I quite like LOG's "closed environment" (which is concise and says it all). Basically, you're setting up a status quo and control it, so that nothing happens until it serves the plot development you have in mind. Resets are part of that instrumentarium. In anime romance, in particular, other common elements are "eternal dithering" or "terminal obliviousness" of the main character.

I've never before seen any romantic anime that I have liked, except Chobits if that is romantic, but so far I like Amagami SS.

Yay! Hopefully it stays that way (though some arcs are better than others).

You know you're an otaku when you have MAL's database programmed in as a search engine accessible from a keyboard shortcut anywhere in your OS.

Had to google. MyAnimeList, maybe?

childeroland
07-20-2011, 06:10 AM
I will never catch up.

kuwisdelu
07-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Why Infinite Stratos sells shitloads of DVD/BDs while otakus on both sides of the Pacific scratch their heads. (http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/04/colume-why-infinite-stratos-sells.html)

I have to say #3 baffles me most, since as mentioned, Madoka was airing that season, and Star Driver was in its second cour, IMO the two best series in recent memory. But I guess Madoka was just to grimdark for some people and Star Driver was too difficult and Enokido-y (and fabulous).

Had to google. MyAnimeList, maybe?

Yeah. Though I haven't updated my own ratings in forever. I need to get to that one of these days.

LOG
07-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Started watching Dragonaut.
Nearly stopped because the dialog was soooooo bad in the beginning.
It's gotten a bit better.

LOG
07-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Okay, so Dragonaut doesn't really pick up until the end, it gets a bit better at the very end, but its visuals and audio are the only thing really carrying it.
I think there are two major things that hold ti back:
1) It needed more time (i.e. episodes) to fully develop itself. At least twice, if not three times as many.
2) Hand-in-hand with that, is that I don't think the series fully realizes what it is. The messages of the series, once explicated are unclear, conflicted and confused. Nevermind the surface messages.
"Destiny can't be changed...but fate can." Lolwut? Unless there's some sort of meaning in the Japanese words being translated that English just completely misses, that is moronic. And there were so many freaking disconnects in the dialog I felt like beating my brain in with a shovel before the first half was over.

Worse yet even, "I wondered if maybe the love we felt was manufactured...but then I realized it doesn't matter as long as the love is there." Not only is naive, idealistic B.S. (and trust me there was sooooo much more of it, blegh) but the obvious conclusion is that the same idea could also be manufactured. They went nowhere with what should have been a fascinating concept. There's even a conflict between separate and aggregate consciousness as which is superior for life, once again, left mostly untouched.
And the whole idea that the dragons are basically slaves to the humans just gets completely forgotten and tossed to the wayside.
The philosophical ideas I can clearly extract are...scary.
I'm hoping it was just poor implementation. Otherwise the people who wrote this are terrifying.

Also, there are unresolved plot-lines and questions left at the end (not the good kind).
The Lonely Island special was...okay.

Edit: Oh, and the power levels are inconsistent.

Camilla Delvalle
07-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Amagami SS finished, well almost. It was serious and realistic. Fully watchable. Some arcs were more boring than others, but that's to be expected since everyone has a different taste when it comes to romance. From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

The resets were interesting in that if I'll rewatch parts of it, I'll look for details that one misses the first time. E.g. I'll look for that Christmas tree next time. There were subtle possibilities that it would not go so well for some of the girls in the alternate realities where the boy didn't help them.

Now I really want to play that game, and I feel like creating this kind of game myself.

Camilla Delvalle
07-23-2011, 04:31 AM
I will never catch up.
Tell me about it. And new episodes are released every week.

kuwisdelu
07-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Amagami SS finished, well almost. It was serious and realistic. Fully watchable. Some arcs were more boring than others, but that's to be expected since everyone has a different taste when it comes to romance. From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

My favorites are Ayatsuji and Ai.

Dawnstorm
07-23-2011, 06:12 AM
From the beginning I had high expectations for the last arc with the class representative Ayatsuji Tskukasa, and it was more amazing than I could imagine.

Heh. I went into that one fully unprepared... We had five rather gentle arcs, and then... that?

What I find interesting is that favourite girl and favourite arc doesn't match up at all. (Except for Sae, who's both my least favourite girl and the least favourite arc.) Normally, in this type of show there's a correlation for me. (My favourite girls would be Kaoru and Ai, but my favourite arks would be Rihoko and Tsukusa. Go figure.)

Finally - I said it before - I love the minor characters, such as the tea-club sempais, or Hibiki, or Junichi's little sister.

Now I really want to play that game, and I feel like creating this kind of game myself.

This sort of game rarely gets translated, though.

Dawnstorm
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I just finished re-watching White Album. It's been a while since I saw it, and having recommended it, I got worried that it might not have been worth a recommendation. Oh, dear, I needn't have worried. The plot is ridiculously over-constructed, full of co-incidences, and yet it somehow works for me (and I hate over-constructed plots).

This was one of the first harem shows I ever watched, so I didn't notice how unusual it was for the genre. First, the characters are university students (and idols), not highschoolers. Second, the show's playing in the eighties, which means answering machines and pagers (instead of cell-phones). The plot would have played out a lot differently, had it been set only a decade later.

I initially didn't intend to watch it all, but I stuck it out. I missed a lot the first time round. It's actually better on a second viewing.

Recommendation stands. :)

kuwisdelu
07-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, seriously, how come the cliche "fall and catch one's self on a girl's bare breasts" never happens to me in real life? Or the "walk into the unlocked bathroom as a girl is stepping out of the shower"? Or the ever-popular "accidental upskirt hello"?? It's just not right such common flags never trigger with me. It's truly unfair. Unjust, even. Unjust, I tell you!!

Camilla Delvalle
07-23-2011, 11:04 PM
What I find interesting is that favourite girl and favourite arc doesn't match up at all. (Except for Sae, who's both my least favourite girl and the least favourite arc.) Normally, in this type of show there's a correlation for me. (My favourite girls would be Kaoru and Ai, but my favourite arks would be Rihoko and Tsukusa. Go figure.)

Yes. The most interesting arcs storywise was for me Tsukasa and Haruka, but Tsukasa is seriously scary. Since it didn't feel like every problem was solved it was difficult to believe that they had such a happy family life 10 years later. And the way she lambasted the other girls... Such a powerful girl, it felt like Junichi wasn't good enough for her. The best match for him would be Kaoru or Ai, I believe.

Finally - I said it before - I love the minor characters, such as the tea-club sempais, or Hibiki, or Junichi's little sister.

Yes, I wanted to see more of Manaka. She was the dark horse of this show.

This sort of game rarely gets translated, though.
I guess I'll have to learn Japanese. Otherwise I'll have to create a similar game myself. Do you think it would be most interesting with girls or boys? I've lost touch with school kids, so it might be best to have it in a university setting.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Yes. The most interesting arcs storywise was for me Tsukasa and Haruka, but Tsukasa is seriously scary. Since it didn't feel like every problem was solved it was difficult to believe that they had such a happy family life 10 years later. And the way she lambasted the other girls... Such a powerful girl, it felt like Junichi wasn't good enough for her. The best match for him would be Kaoru or Ai, I believe.

Mmm Ayatsuji is the type I love to fall for. She's my kind of girl. :evil

Dawnstorm
07-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Do you think it would be most interesting with girls or boys?

Male lead, because probably more girls would play a dating sim as a boy than the other way round. And make the love interests both male and female, so you can play the character any way you want (straight, gay, bi, mysterious tease...). Add non-romantic roles for everyone, too, so they don't feel superfluous if you don't go for their arc. Something like that.

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Ok, I can add a same-sex relationship. The only difficulty would be the graphics, though that can be solved. After the rest is finished I can ask an artist to draw the pictures.

How I suck at dating! I just tried an online dating game and I managed to piss off all the four girls immediately. One turned around and one is standing with arms crossed now. One ran away and one never wanted to talk at all.

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Ha, ha, I just found a Love Hina RPG game, and it seems to be quite big. If you annoy any of the girls there will be a fight and they'll kick your ass. Then you can't talk to anyone before you have regained HP.

http://www.lovegames1.com/games/7/Love-Hina-Sim-Date-RPG.html

kuwisdelu
07-24-2011, 02:26 AM
I just wish more galge and eroge were ported to iOS and translated to English. I have Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni for my iPod, but I wish there were more titles available. It would be especially nice if Apple approved erotic content... *grumblegrumble*

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 02:33 AM
I just wish more galge and eroge were ported to iOS and translated to English. I have Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni for my iPod, but I wish there were more titles available. It would be especially nice if Apple approved erotic content... *grumblegrumble*
Would you call Higurashi harem? I was thinking about it when someone wanted harem recommendations, though from what I've seen it's more horror than romance. I have seen two or three arcs or so. It is similar to Amagami SS in that the story is reset for every arc.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Would you call Higurashi harem? I was thinking about it when someone wanted harem recommendations, though from what I've seen it's more horror than romance. I have seen two or three arcs or so. It is similar to Amagami SS in that the story is reset for every arc.

No. It's a horror mystery. And it actually has an in-story *reason* for resetting.

Sorry, I mentioned galge and eroge, but any good visual novels or sound novels would be nice, too. Though I would probably prefer stuff with more choices... As I mentioned earlier, I don't really care about genre.

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 03:54 AM
But there is a boy and several girls, and the focus in which girl is shifting in different arcs.

Now I began on Clannad. I'm continuing on it because it's so weird, e.g. the plot with the ghost girl.

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Mmm Ayatsuji is the type I love to fall for. She's my kind of girl. :evil
Yes, you're a better match for her than Junichi. I'd like to see her dating you.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2011, 07:29 AM
But there is a boy and several girls, and the focus in which girl is shifting in different arcs.

Yeah, I suppose there are some harem elements, but it's not really the focus of the story. It's mostly about the mystery of Onigafuchi village and the secret behind Oyashiro's curse.

Now I began on Clannad. I'm continuing on it because it's so weird, e.g. the plot with the ghost girl.

You haven't seen Kanon, then, I take it? I'll just say that Fuko's arc is Key directly and blatantly ripping off their own previous work. It's the most supernatural Clannad gets, though. Unlike Kanon, most of the plot remains pretty solidly in reality for most of the rest of it, except for... a few important things later on in After Story. As I think I've mentioned before, After Story is definitely the best thing Key has done, and the latter half of it really shows a leap in the level of maturity compared to the rest of their work.

Yes, you're a better match for her than Junichi. I'd like to see her dating you.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Dawnstorm
07-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Ha, ha, I just found a Love Hina RPG game

Heh. How come I managed to make Rei Ayanami's head explode in a Love Hina dating RPG?

You haven't seen Kanon, then, I take it? I'll just say that Fuko's arc is Key directly and blatantly ripping off their own previous work.

Heh, I like the characters in Clannad better, though. And the nobody-can-see-her thing was just so sad to watch...

As I think I've mentioned before, After Story is definitely the best thing Key has done, and the latter half of it really shows a leap in the level of maturity compared to the rest of their work.

Agreed, After Story takes it to the next level.

Camilla Delvalle
07-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...
I was not sarcastic. It was a compliment.

kuwisdelu
07-25-2011, 01:16 AM

It just hit me that I totally forgot to recommend Star Driver again. It's not a harem anime (though Takuto definitely has one) or even a romance, but it has a threesome ending (two boys, one girl).

Camilla Delvalle
07-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks to anime I've know 100 words of Japanese! I just made a list. I think I'll make Japanese the language to learn this year. Does anyone of you understand it?

kuwisdelu
07-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks to anime I've know 100 words of Japanese! I just made a list. I think I'll make Japanese the language to learn this year. Does anyone of you understand it?

Probably not much more than any other anime viewer, but do remember if you try to learn it that anime use tends to differ quite a lot from every day Japanese use. Talk like you favorite anime character in Japan, and you'll probably get a lot of weird looks from the regular folks. Great supplementary material, though.

Camilla Delvalle
07-25-2011, 03:03 AM
My ex-boyfriend knows Japanese, so when a group of girls from Japan visited his school he was to guide them around and talk with them. They looked at him strangely and said he had a foul language like a scumbag from the street. That's better than nothing though, I guess.

kuwisdelu
07-25-2011, 03:25 AM
My ex-boyfriend knows Japanese, so when a group of girls from Japan visited his school he was to guide them around and talk with them. They looked at him strangely and said he had a foul language like a scumbag from the street. That's better than nothing though, I guess.

I could be wrong about this since I don't really know Japanese, but while your average anime character doesn't really speak with the common, everyday usage, various speech patterns are still used as characterization devices, just more exaggerated than in real life. Therefore, listen closely to the differences in speech patterns between characters from obviously difference backgrounds and social standings, while also marking how closely the show tries to adhere to real life in general. I'd trust a noitaminA series over the latest Shounen Jump adaptation, for example.

For an English example, in Shakespeare's plays, peasants spoke in prose, main characters spoke in blank verse, and if you had, say, a play within a play like in Hamlet, then the characters spoke in rhyme. Naturally, this doesn't reflect real-life usage either, but knowing these things and accepting the exaggerations, you can use that to make informed decisions about what probably would and wouldn't be acceptable and considered "normal" in real life.

Dawnstorm
07-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Even though I took two semesters of a university course, I don't really speak Japanese. Just enough to get basic setence structure. The problem is that the verb-forms we learnt (the "polite" ones) are rare in anime. Also, verbs are often just left out.

For example, sometimes you hear them say:

So da ne. (Roughly: It is, isn't it?)

But that's because it's friends speaking. If you don't know each other that well, you'd be saying:

Sou desu ne.

That makes applying what I learned at university a tad hard.

Camilla Delvalle
07-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Clannad gets ever weirder. From today's episodes I learned the Japanese name of Tsathoggua.

kuwisdelu
07-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Anyone else watching the new Gainax series Dantalian no Shoka? It's an adaptation, so I don't have my usual Gainax hopes/expectations attached like I would their original series. Looks interesting, if not at all new. It's what you'd get it if you took the grimoire concept from Toaru Majutsu no Index and put it into the world of Gosick.

Episode 3 of Baka to Test actually returns to the classroom, and this week brings more cross-dressing. :D No.6 remains promising, but this wasp thing is kind of weird. Usagi Drop remains incredibly good. Penguindrum brings curry and angst and a cow outfit and I can't wait for next week's episode. :) I can't wait until I can buy stuffed versions of those penguins, and my very own penguin hat. Of course, that'll be a long, long time from now, at least without massive shipping costs...

Dawnstorm
07-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Clannad gets ever weirder. From today's episodes I learned the Japanese name of Tsathoggua.

I had to look up Tsathoggua. Lovecraft? What? When? I don't remember.

Anyone else watching the new Gainax series Dantalian no Shoka? It's an adaptation, so I don't have my usual Gainax hopes/expectations attached like I would their original series. Looks interesting, if not at all new. It's what you'd get it if you took the grimoire concept from Toaru Majutsu no Index and put it into the world of Gosick.

I'm watching it. So far it's... conventional. Nothing special, but pretty.

Episode 3 of Baka to Test actually returns to the classroom, and this week brings more cross-dressing.

Quit halfway through season 1, and kinda assumed I won't like that one either.

No.6 remains promising, but this wasp thing is kind of weird.

The show's turning out better than I expected. I like the pacing.

Usagi Drop remains incredibly good.

:D

Penguindrum brings curry and angst and a cow outfit and I can't wait for next week's episode. :) I can't wait until I can buy stuffed versions of those penguins, and my very own penguin hat. Of course, that'll be a long, long time from now, at least without massive shipping costs...

Anyone else playing Spot The Penguin Logo? I still don't know where this is going.

Camilla Delvalle
07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I had to look up Tsathoggua. Lovecraft? What? When? I don't remember.
They made the genius girl Ichinose Kotomi to wave a wand in the air and she makes an incantation that seems to come from the Cthulhu Mythos.

Katrina S. Forest
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM

I took one course of Japanese in college -- one of the best classes I took. Our teacher taught us how to write hiragana and katakana right away, then wrote everything in Japanese on the board for the rest of the class. She asked us at one point, "Is this difficult?" and we told her yes, it was. Then she just smiled and said, "Get used to it."

If you want to teach yourself to read/write hiragana, there's lots of tutorials online, and you can buy children's board books in Japanese to practice. (I learned several of symbols from some Sailor Moon and Pokemon books I got before I even took a class.)

Camilla Delvalle
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Thank you. I've been thinking about learning hiragana and katakana. We'll see if I overcome my natural laziness.

kuwisdelu
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like the week is lasting longer between new episodes? Maybe it's just because it feels like there are fewer good new shows than the last two seasons. Of the new stuff (not counting continuing 2-cour stuff like Steins;Gate, Tiger & Bunny, Iroha, etc.) I really only look forward to Penguindrum and the two noitaminA series.

Dawnstorm
07-26-2011, 02:23 AM
They made the genius girl Ichinose Kotomi to wave a wand in the air and she makes an incantation that seems to come from the Cthulhu Mythos.

Ah, thank you. Must have been a drama club prop. (I think Kotomi might have a better chance to summon an ancient one with her violin...)

Is it just me or does it feel like the week is lasting longer between new episodes? Maybe it's just because it feels like there are fewer good new shows than the last two seasons. Of the new stuff (not counting continuing 2-cour stuff like Steins;Gate, Tiger & Bunny, Iroha, etc.) I really only look forward to Penguindrum and the two noitaminA series.

I, too, find the season rather average. The only new stuff I really look forward to is Usagi Drop. Penguindrum is interesting and I'm curious, but I'm not (yet) into it.

Oddly enough, I'm more looking forward to this season's 5 minute shorts ("Double J" and "Morita san wa Mukuchi"); they're fun slice of life shows. Morita is pretty standard fair, but Double J is actually interesting - it's about the Traditional Arts Preservation club, and the main character's quest to find a traditional art to preserve. (Also, the 5 minute format is perfect for it.)

kuwisdelu
07-26-2011, 03:56 AM
I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on many fansub groups' discussions of a possible move to 10-bit H.264 sometime?

Dawnstorm
07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on many fansub groups' discussions of a possible move to 10-bit H.264 sometime?

I don't even know what that means...

kuwisdelu
07-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't even know what that means...

Explanation here (http://doki.co/2011/07/19/discussion-10-bit-h264/).

It's a further evolution of the H.264 codec, which is what most video media today uses. I'm on a Mac (yeah, I know, anime on a Mac, lolwut and everything else, but whatever, it's what I like) and currently MPlayerX plays 10-bit H.264 fine for me, Quicktime 7 plays it but struggles with a lot of pixelation, and Quicktime X doesn't play it at all. Currently, I organize my anime in iTunes, but unlike QTKit (the foundation for QT7), AVFoundation (the foundation for QTX) currently struggles to play high profile H.264 level 5, which accounts for a lot of anime out there now. I've been relying on Quicktime 7 while AVFoundation catches up, but Lion hasn't fixed the H.264 level 5 issues, so if fansub groups move on to 10-bit H.264, leaving the current hardware decoding even further behind, I'm going to have to reevaluate and may have to just turn to MPlayer instead. I'd hate to have to move away from all the metadata and organization in my anime collection, though. Gahhhh! I'm not sure whether to be disappointed in Apple for not implementing more cutting-edge decoding in their media API's or upset at the fansub groups for so aggressively moving onto new codecs and new codec profiles and features. Well, if I did move on to just using their plain mkv's, it would mean I wouldn't have to bother with all the remuxing and everything I do now, but I'd still miss all my organization and metadata...

Dawnstorm
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Hm, I've been annoyed with the constant need to upgrade since... forever. I usually don't see the benefit - seems to me, the gain is little. Not against progress, but the ever-shifting default when my needs don't evolve at the same speed... So I'm giving an un-informed and half-hearted "No, thanks, but ask those who actually care." If I can't watch with my current equippment, I won't watch until it breaks. I might upgrade software, but even that's a "might".

It's not really relevant to me, though, since I'm using exclusively streaming sites, and - if I'm not mistaken - they're worse quality anyway - to meet the lowest common denominator. I never once downloaded a video file to watch locally. I'm just not interested.

My sympathy lies with those who wish to remain with the old format for now, but I won't invest any emotional energy in the discussion.

kuwisdelu
07-28-2011, 12:21 AM

I'd like to add that I'm really enjoying this season of Natsume Yuujinchou.

And on another note, the Puella Magi Madoka Magica OST 2 is out today!

kuwisdelu
07-28-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm finally getting around to watching Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?. I started it when it aired, but lost track of it. I remember loving the first few episodes, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Dawnstorm
07-28-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm finally getting around to watching Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?. I started it when it aired, but lost track of it. I remember loving the first few episodes, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Pure, un-embarrassed fanservice from start to finish. As always, some episodes are better than others, but if you liked the first episodes, you're probably going to like the rest. Even I liked that one. Heh.

kuwisdelu
07-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Pure, un-embarrassed fanservice from start to finish. As always, some episodes are better than others, but if you liked the first episodes, you're probably going to like the rest. Even I liked that one. Heh.

I enjoy fanservice as long as it doesn't become stupid, but what else I've enjoyed so far is how much it plays with all of the common moe cliches and tropes, and so far at least, not in a generic, serious way like IS, but in a mocking, self-ware way.

Dawnstorm
07-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I enjoy fanservice as long as it doesn't become stupid, but what else I've enjoyed so far is how much it plays with all of the common moe cliches and tropes, and so far at least, not in a generic, serious way like IS, but in a mocking, self-ware way.

Yeah, the show stays pretty true to itself. A show like this is very easy to mess up, and on rare occasions they do, but overall it's good fun.

Infinite Stratos has the dubious distinction of having a beach episode as its highlight. Just for one episode they stopped pretending. (Almost)

kuwisdelu
07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, the show stays pretty true to itself. A show like this is very easy to mess up, and on rare occasions they do, but overall it's good fun.

Infinite Stratos has the dubious distinction of having a beach episode as its highlight. Just for one episode they stopped pretending. (Almost)

Speaking of such things, I decided to give in and start watch Sacred Seven. The whole concept seems stupid from beginning to end, but it stars Megumi Nakajima as the delicious oujo-sama, so I have no choice.

Dawnstorm
07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Speaking of such things, I decided to give in and start watch Sacred Seven. The whole concept seems stupid from beginning to end, but it stars Megumi Nakajima as the delicious oujo-sama, so I have no choice.

Tell me what you think of it. I've started episode one, but quit almost immediately. (On a related note, Kamisama Dolls is picking up; it's promising to be surprisingly good. Not a masterpiece, but well worth a watch.)

kuwisdelu
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Tell me what you think of it. I've started episode one, but quit almost immediately. (On a related note, Kamisama Dolls is picking up; it's promising to be surprisingly good. Not a masterpiece, but well worth a watch.)

I'm up to episode 3, and as I mentioned, it's only worth watching if you're a Megumi Nakajima fan. With the random talking rock face dude and all, though, it has the potential to achieve "so bad it's good" status, but I'm not sure yet. Either way, Ruri is adorable, and that's all that matters.

I considered watching Kamisama Dolls, but the robots or whatever looked too much like Kyuubey, and kind of freaked me out. Maybe I'll give it a chance soon.

Dawnstorm
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I considered watching Kamisama Dolls, but the robots or whatever looked too much like Kyuubey, and kind of freaked me out. Maybe I'll give it a chance soon.

The way the show looks is... odd, overall. The main lead's breasts are not only incredibly oversized, but also... oddly proportioned. Glued on rugby balls? Despite that, it's not played for teh durties, and most of the time the characters look childish (as if this was Pokemon). But then the plot doesn't fit... It certainly doesn't win with design consistency. I almost quit myself. Maybe my low expectations gave me that surprise experience?

In the latest episode the intensity increased. I thought it would, but not so soon. If the pacing's that quick, I suppose things are actually going to happen at a steady pace. Again, if you don't watch it, you probably won't miss out too much, but on a slow day it'll probably pass the time.

And, yes, it does look like a Kyubey robot (and may turn out just as trustworthy, for all I know...).

Camilla Delvalle
07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
First season of Clannad finished. At the beginning I had some doubts, but the plot turned out to be great and the characters had interesting backstories and secrets. A plot that is about starting a school drama club - I never knew starting a drama club could be so difficult. A seemingly simple plot was bent into many turns, and it had quite high stakes for the characters, and some tragedy.

The main lead Tomoya was somewhat competent and witty. I found him more likeable than Junichi in Amagamis SS, who I don't think I'd like to date. Some of the girls were stupid, e.g. Fuko, but she was also fun.

I'd recommend this series for the crooked plot and because it's fun. There were also some eerie scenes around Nagisa.

Dawnstorm
07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
The main lead Tomoya was somewhat competent and witty. I found him more likeable than Junichi in Amagamis SS, who I don't think I'd like to date.

Well, as far as typical harem leads go, Junichi is quite good. But he's still designed to be rather non-descript, a foil for the girls, mostly. Tomoya is actually a character in his own right (which is what makes Afterstory possible).

Some of the girls were stupid, e.g. Fuko, but she was also fun.

Heh. I love Fuuko. (I shall never forget her epic clash with Nagisa on whether starfish are cuter than dango...)

If there's one thing I don't like about Clannad it's the character design. Not a fan of those big eyes. It's not as bad as Kanon, but still...

Camilla Delvalle
07-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Just now I saw the Clannad movie too. It was very different. I wonder if it follows some story path from Afterstory that I haven't seen.

Well, as far as typical harem leads go, Junichi is quite good. But he's still designed to be rather non-descript, a foil for the girls, mostly. Tomoya is actually a character in his own right (which is what makes Afterstory possible).
Ok, Junichi is perhaps nicer then Tomoya, because the latter is a bit harsh, pulling pranks all the time and stuff, and in the movie he was a horrible person. What I was thinking was rather that I found Junichi boring and unattractive, while Tomoya had some wit and awareness.

Heh. I love Fuuko. (I shall never forget her epic clash with Nagisa on whether starfish are cuter than dango...)
Yes, and there are many other fun scenes that I've seen on youtube too.

If there's one thing I don't like about Clannad it's the character design. Not a fan of those big eyes. It's not as bad as Kanon, but still...
I didn't like it so much either, because I like more realistic drawing in anime.

Dawnstorm
07-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Just now I saw the Clannad movie too. It was very different. I wonder if it follows some story path from Afterstory that I haven't seen.

I haven't seen the film, so I googled. Yep, the latter part is in Afterstory, but from what I can tell they cut the most important part and changed things (such as Tomoya's Father) so that certain things must seem more arbitrary. From the summary, I'm not in a hurry to watch the film.

Ok, Junichi is perhaps nicer then Tomoya, because the latter is a bit harsh, pulling pranks all the time and stuff, and in the movie he was a horrible person. What I was thinking was rather that I found Junichi boring and unattractive, while Tomoya had some wit and awareness.

I actually understood what you mean, and i agree. I was merely pointing out that - in the most stereotypical harem show - the male lead is totally devoid of personality, and the spotlight is on the girl. The idea is to provide a canvas for male fantasies. In a way, things like Tomoya's relationship with his father, for example, are a deal breaker for the genre. They push the harem show into romance territory, by placing boy and girl on equal footing.

Junichi has no past beyond being stood up for a date. No parents. A little sister (it can't be a little brother; not in a harem show). No interests. Nothing that could interfere with male identification. His personality changes according to the girl he's with. He's the typical harem protagonist: probably the dullest guy in school, yet all the girls fall for him. Yet, somehow, I actually like him and he leaves an impression.

But Tomoya is an actual character. He's not tailor-made to be a harem lead. His father's a drunk. He gets into fights for the heck of it. He may have a good heart, but he's not nice. This is not the sort of guy who disappears to leave the spotlight to the girls. He's an integral part of the story. It's no surprise he's more attractive: whereas Junichi is designed to be as generic as possible so as not to interfere with male girl-fantasies, he's designed to have a personality and a story (and a dark side, without which Afterstory would not have been possible).

kuwisdelu
07-29-2011, 07:09 AM
I love After Story.

Dawnstorm
07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I love After Story.

As do I.

kuwisdelu
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
And I'm loving Usagi Drop. Rin is terminally adorable, and reminds me of my niece.

Camilla Delvalle
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen the film, so I googled. Yep, the latter part is in Afterstory, but from what I can tell they cut the most important part and changed things (such as Tomoya's Father) so that certain things must seem more arbitrary. From the summary, I'm not in a hurry to watch the film.
The movie was interesting. It was like an alternate reality where many characters were different and had other roles. Kotomi was the conductor of the choir, Tomoyo was not good at fighting, Tomoya was more depressed and Nagisa was more assertive. I love alternate realities. The movie was darker and more depressing than the series. I just wish I had not seen it before After Story, since it seems to contain spoilers for that.

Dawnstorm
07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
And I'm loving Usagi Drop. Rin is terminally adorable, and reminds me of my niece.

Absolutely. (Except I don't have a little niece.)

No. 6: great pacing. Love the doghandler.

Penguindrum: Those logos appear in the oddest place...

The movie was interesting. It was like an alternate reality where many characters were different and had other roles. Kotomi was the conductor of the choir, Tomoyo was not good at fighting, Tomoya was more depressed and Nagisa was more assertive. I love alternate realities. The movie was darker and more depressing than the series. I just wish I had not seen it before After Story, since it seems to contain spoilers for that.

Yeah, spoiled a big event. But the heart of the show is yet to come. :) (Maybe I'll look at the movie one day.)

Camilla Delvalle
07-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Today I began working on the dating game that I have to make since I can't read Japanese. I've uploaded a screenshot:
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g440/CamillaDelvalle/schoolyard.png?t=1311967623

(Does the link work?)

Dawnstorm
07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Today I began working on the dating game that I have to make since I can't read Japanese. I've uploaded a screenshot:
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g440/CamillaDelvalle/schoolyard.png?t=1311967623

(Does the link work?)

Link works fine for me. :)

Windows surface? How do you make that. Must be pretty complex. (I like the way the answers aren't "obviously tendentious", as in most of the fan-games I've seen out there.)

Camilla Delvalle
07-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Windows surface? How do you make that. Must be pretty complex. (I like the way the answers aren't "obviously tendentious", as in most of the fan-games I've seen out there.)
With C#.Net it's embarrasingly simple. It's just to drag the things into place and write some code for what happens when the player clicks on them. In this kind of game I guess most of the work is to write the dialogue and paint pictures. Maybe I'm too lazy to do that. I'm also not sure how I will organize the dialogue to give the player many choices while I don't want to plan for every possibility. I mean some dialogue parts should be possible to have in different places or in different order.

For the plot I'm thinking it should be the first two weeks in college with different activities and maybe some conflicts. Choices that the player makes should influence what happens later and what options there will be.

Dawnstorm
07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm also not sure how I will organize the dialogue to give the player many choices while I don't want to plan for every possibility. I mean some dialogue parts should be possible to have in different places or in different order.

Interesting problem. One thing I can think of is player stats, like empathy, daring etc., which might make different replies available... Not sure, really, if that works. Maybe also reputation stats, which makes the girls give different replies? Not sure if that's even managable if you want anything like a plot.

On a different note, was bored today and watched episode 1 of Idolm@ster. Wasn't originally interested, and it's not something I want to watch too much of all at once, but it's surprisingly fun. Lighthearted slice of life (as far as you can tell after a single episode).

Camilla Delvalle
07-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Interesting problem. One thing I can think of is player stats, like empathy, daring etc., which might make different replies available... Not sure, really, if that works. Maybe also reputation stats, which makes the girls give different replies?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking about having hidden stats like outgoing, geekiness, empathy, and respectability. These would change depending on the choices made, and also influence what options there will be for the player, like one has to be very outgoing to be able to suggest to have a party. Also the girls will have different demands, like one would perhaps not date someone who had not shown empathy. Geekiness would be needed to attract some girls, and to get a good result on the math test.

kuwisdelu
07-31-2011, 01:19 AM
lolWHUT.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/koreha_zombie-1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/koreha_zombie-2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/koreha_zombie-3.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/koreha_zombie-4.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/143553/Anime/koreha_zombie-5.png

Dawnstorm
07-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Vampire Ninja Maid Violin Power to the rescue. Heh. I loved the finale (and they did show penguins near the end - I wonder...)

LOG
07-31-2011, 04:53 AM
Vampire Ninja Maid Violin Power to the rescue. Heh. I loved the finale (and they did show penguins near the end - I wonder...)
No parody there at all...

kuwisdelu
07-31-2011, 05:16 AM
Wow. They're making a live-action show of Arakawa Under the Bridge, with a live-action movie coming out next here. The TV show's web page is here. (http://www.mbs.jp/autb/) And here is the badly Google-translated version. (http://www.google.com/translate?twu=1&u=http://www.mbs.jp/autb/) I wonder if it'll get fansubbed. I remember [gg] did the live-action movie of Kimi ni Todoke, and they included the commercial for the live-action Arakawa at the end of their release of episode 4 of Sacred Seven, so maybe they intend to sub it.

kuwisdelu
07-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Also, what's with all the loll detective series coming out lately?

LOG
07-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Is Durarara!, the anime, any good?

kuwisdelu
07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Is Durarara!, the anime, any good?

I have 5 episodes left in it. It's rather good, but I found the new plot direction after the Anon arc finished less interesting than everything that lead up to it, despite the new OP theme being better (IMO). I'll let you know my impressions when I'm finished. If you liked Baccano!, it's probably worth starting, since it's by the same author.

kuwisdelu
07-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Also, what's with all the loll detective series coming out lately?

This said, I'm really digging the OP and ED of both Kamisama no Memochou and Dantalian no Shoka. For the former, particularly the illuminated-keyboard-as-piano speaks to me, as both a computer geek and musician. And for the latter, the soft, orchestral music over an opening that would otherwise have a more driving theme attached to it is rather refreshing, and the utter weirdness of the ED is quite interesting. I wonder if these two series wouldn't be regarded as so generic if they weren't airing right after Gosick finished. (After all, none of them are anime originals, Dantalian and Gosick started life as light novels a couple of months apart from each other in 2008 , and KamiMemo predates both with its light novels originating from 2007.)

Dawnstorm
08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Just bought Kara no Kyoukai 4 & 5. :D

Gossick's popular because of Victorique. Her character design is great, and Yuki Aoi does a wonderful job with her. Other than that, Gossick is pretty avarage, I'd say.