Dumb Writer Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever done anything really dumb, writer-wise?

Please share and make the rest of us feel better, lol. :tongue

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I used the word 'head' four times in about 90 words. That was pretty dumb. ;)

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I once saved a manuscript on a flash drive and nothing else. Flash Drive overheated and ate the file.

I've also changed a minor character's name halfway through a book and never realized it.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I've had a few of these. My favorite to this day remains the mysterious case of the magically appearing/disappearing pants.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
I once told a client I could deliver a manuscript in two weeks even though I'd never written anything on that topic before.

My mouth wrote a check that my ass did indeed cash, but it was close, and towards the end I was awake for 34 straight hours. I'm afraid to go back and look at the document again, lest I find "can't sleep, the clowns will eat me" buried in the middle of the footnotes.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I gave the same character three different last names in the course of a manuscript once. Granted, they sorta sounded the same, but that was pretty silly once I'd figured it out. ;)

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite "dumb writer" trick is to say I've attached a file to e-mail and then forget to attach the thing.

i love getting those e-mails from editors that say: "Gee, that's great, but you didn't send the file."

*facepalm*

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to use the word "gently" a lot in some early erotica/pr0n I'd written. I never knew how bad it was until the day somebody editing a manuscript took out a highlighter and marked it each time it appeared.

.303 Bookworm

psst... say "moosey fate"
Registered
Reaction score
When I first started writing on the computer, I was a kid and had some vague idea that I needed to conserve disk space. I also had a habit of starting stories, getting stuck and then abandoning them. So, of course, whenever I started a new story, I'd overwrite an older one. *headdesk*

I know they were probably pretty terrible, but I wish I still had them.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I accidentally deleted my entire writing file...with no backup. I'm pretty sure I accidentally got my queries switched between publications, once. I'm sure I've done more than that involving skipping proofreading, editing and tracking contacts.

Jason Harrington

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much stopped reading for 2 months, recently. Was in a write-only rut, churning out pieces for Cracked.com. There are worse ruts to be in, it's true, but for a writer, that is a fatal rut. No New York Times, no anything. The Japanese tsunami whooshed right over my head. I believe the three most important things that a writer must do, in order to succeed, is to 1. Write. 2. Read. 3. Submit. Not necessarily in that order, I suppose, but I'm going to work on never letting number 2 slip away from me again.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... I accidentally killed a character off and then talked about her as though she was alive and well. And in fact, she walked right onto a scene about four chapters later.

I also remembered once that I, for fun, decided to find & replace a word, phrase, or letter with another word, phrase or letter. Read scene, enter hilarity. I had changed the letters "ur" to "feed". To be honest, it was rather funny. But somehow, only one word stayed altered even though I did not save the file. Must've auto-saved at some point and I used that file. "Occurred" turned into "occfeedred" which I altered into a name later on (Ocfeedrid).

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have occassionaly, usually when really tired or distracted, written things I was hearing on TV or the radio, or sometimes conversations I was having while writing.

frisco

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my first book, I read a lot of articles offering advice--which I completely disregarded and wrote the way I wanted too. Once I was finished, I realized a lot of the advice would have made my job a hell of a lot easier had I paid attemtion to it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I once sent a query with a different spelling of the MC's name than appeared in the synopsis and writing sample. I believe that one got me a speedy-quick rejection.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
how much time do you have?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Once I sent a query to a small press for a manuscript that wasn't even halfway written -- and when they said, "Send us the whole thing!", I said, "Okay, I'll have it to you in two weeks."

I did it, and they took it. But it was really dumb. And I don't recommend it.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I sent off an email query ... and used a different agent's name in the salutation.

I verify everything before hitting "send", but I'm muddle-headed from a bad head cold. I am SO embarrassed and ticked off at myself.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I gave the same character three different last names in the course of a manuscript once. Granted, they sorta sounded the same, but that was pretty silly once I'd figured it out. ;)

I've done that before.

I also gave one character three different eye colors--in the course of a six-page chapter!

I think the dumbest thing I've done, from a writing standpoint, was neglecting to make a note of the name of the brother of one of the MCs in my Reality Shift series. I mention him briefly in book 4, then needed his name again for book 8 and had to spend a few hours looking for it because I couldn't remember which book he'd been mentioned in first. Lesson learned: Make notes of EVERYTHING when you're writing a series!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I've done some character name changing myself...usually for my secondary characters. But then I usually go back to the first name and say "What the hell was I thinking? She is not a Cathy!"

:D

A.R. Starr

Writing Addict & Proud Of It
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
Two of my seconary characters kept changing names throughout my novel. My beta reader hit me.

I also forgot to write half the words in the very first sentance and didn't notice, even after eight re-reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.