Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I'm sure we've all had the experience of working on a story, and then some certain piece of the puzzle just falls into place. It might be something to do with research, or a character doing something you didn't expect (that works perfectly), or even your family deciding to take an impromptu trip to the National Toothpick Sculpture Museum and leaving you home alone to write for the weekend. Either way, it leaves you feeling great about what you're doing, like maybe something out there in the universe is on your side after all.

Let's share those experiences!

I'll start:

My newest WIP has some very important scenes in a campground at a state park in Maine. I spent tons of time researching which park would be best (finally settled on Cobscook Bay), and then poured over the maps of the campground to find a campsite that seemed like it would work. But all I had to go on was the map, and a few generic photos of the area.

Then, last night I was looking up information on the tides in Cobscook Bay and came across a blog by a photographer who had just spent some time camping in the state park. She had a ton of photos posted of their campsite, and it looked like it might be the one I was thinking of. But there are over 100 campsites in that park, so I didn't know for sure. Then, lo and behold, in the comments a discussion followed that talked about which campsite it was, and it was the one I had already picked out for my characters. So now I have pictures of the path leading to the campsite, how the site itself is set up, and the views of the Bay from the site. It's absolutely everything I needed, short of actually going there (which I hope to do later this summer).

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I had an epic win once, and it quite shook me at the same time.

My WIP is in the Renaissance, so I needed some information regarding the military commanders. Sometimes I keep having weird dreams and one night I dreamt of walking around in a library and nearly tripping on a book. I picked it up and started reading, some stuff about French knights (I've been reading extensively about Agincourt in the past days, so that explains it - in case you don't know, French knights were completely annihilated by English longbowmen at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415). Then some commander of Renaissance knights comes up, some guy called Montmorency.

Whatever, I ignored it and left my dream alone.

Fast forward a week or so. That Montmorency guy came back in my head, it kept bugging me. I knew I read about the guy somewhere, something was wrong, why do I keep remembering Montmorency.

By then I reached a point where I needed a high ranked guy to act in some secretive talks. I started searching for the top commander of the French forces in those days, around 1520-1530 ish. It was King Francis, but the marshal or constable of France, I needed his name, so I started researching even more.

His name?

Anne de Montmorency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_de_Montmorency

I stared for two minutes at the damn screen without knowing what the **** just happened.

sheilas_world

digging in my word garden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
newsfromsheilasworld.blogspot.com
I had something like this happen the other day. I had read (on a forum here) about a Sci Fi short story contest, checked it out and thought if I could come up with an idea, I would enter.

I went to watch a little TV, just mulling over the contest theme, thinking, wonder if I can get an idea?, when this image came to me of a young man watching some kind of camp, waiting with his dog. I got the idea this was some post-apocalyptic story, and thought, well, I'll work on this later, could be good.

Except, it wouldn't let me wait until later--I had to get up and start writing, and five hours and 3200 words later, I had a story. Whew!

This kind of push to write a story has only happened to me once before, and it felt so odd, like this young man was telling me what to write. It was wicked cool.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I solved an extremely long standing problem that I've had with every book -- and fixed three other recurrent problems by fixing the one.

Subplots did not evolve naturally for me. No matter what I tried, nothing worked. Absolutely nothing. I'd run short (one of the other problems), and I'd try to shoehorn one in. I tried placeholders, tried to plan for them -- I could not get any into the story.

I took Holly Lisle's How to Revise Your Novel. Went through most of it and could not resolve the problem. People were telling me I just couldn't see the subplots, but they weren't in there. At all. Neither was theme, as I discovered. People kept telling me I just wasn't seeing theme and that it was in there. No, it was not. I was at the point where I decided there weren't going to be any subplots.

Then I got to connecting up the conflicts and instantly got the overall picture of the story: There was a line in the middle of my story. Second half, fantastic. First half didn't connect to it. I knew I'd had problems with story setup -- a recurrent problem on all my projects. I tend to start too late, the opposite of what most people do. At that point, I was also researching my organizational processes (I'm right-brained) to help solve the problem. I ran across a site where I discovered that while I'm good at seeing the big picture, I have trouble seeing it right at the beginning of the project. I could not see the right place to start the story.

Now I paid a lot of attention to the setup. I spent a considerable amount of effort fixing the front half of the book (all done with 'scene cards' -- in my case, One Note -- and no actual writing). I focused on figuring out where the story needed to start. A new character introduced himself into the story, and then a second one. Along with them came two subplots, both plot-focused. Theme also came in, and I added enough scenes for 90K. For anyone saying they wish they could start a story too late, by my estimate, I added 33K in front of my original beginning, and because I didn't start it in the right place, the setup forced its way in the wrong place -- and kept subplots and theme from coming in at all.

Now I have almost 18K written, and my scenes are running anywhere from 1,700 words to 2,500 words. I'm not even having to think about word count. And my subplots and theme are popping in and out of the story on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.