Stabbed in the back and recovery

Chellerbelle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to give me a hand here. I tried Googling, but that didn't tell me what I wanted to know. The story is in modern era.

The attacker is a professional. He's also blind and his hands were injured just prior to the stabbing, so he's been forced to use his mouth (or maybe he's holding it between his arms, or with his feet). Suffice to say he's not in a position to be accurate, but he is capable of figuring out where his victim is physically situated. He's also a very angry man right at the moment.

The weapon is a throwing knife (the attacker was previously disarmed of his melee weapons). I'm estimating a 4 inch blade, but this is negociable as the blade lengths on throwing knife vary.

The victim is a 43 year old male in good physical condition. He gets stabbed in the back at least once.

I don't know where exactly in the back he gets stabbed. I expect that wherever he got stabbed, he'd need surgery.

What I would like to know (or at least get a general idea about) is:
#1, How long would a recovery take? I realise this probably depends on how many times and where in the back he got stabbed. I don't need him up and about for four months.
#2, Post surgery, when family is allowed to visit, how might they find him? Oxygen mask? Lying on his front? Things like that.
#3, How long would they be likely to keep him in the hospital? It is a private hospital, if that's important.
#4, What therapy would be required, if any?

Thanks in advance.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
, How long would a recovery take? I realise this probably depends on how many times and where in the back he got stabbed. I don't need him up and about for four months.

You're right it greatly depends on where he got stabbed- lots of important stuff in the back and a four inch blade is going to do a lot of damage if it was inserted to the hilt-

Upper back- lungs on either side if the spinal cord - they extend to the bottom of the rib cage- If your guy is hit here it can puncture a lung resulting in a pnuemothorax/ or hemothorax or both- which among other things would require the insertion of a chest tube. If the person's breathing is compromised enough they will need to be placed on a ventaloter to help them breath.

Middle to lower back- kidneys- very vascular organ with large vessels feeding them- a direct hit on the kidneys could result in severe blood loss and possibly even death or the loss of that kidney or loss of a functionin kidney on that side- this is a serious injury and again could require an intestive care setting-

then there is always the spine- don't know how strong or capable or attacker is but it might be feasable to damage the cord with a big enough and sharp enough blade- the aorta- your largest vessel- runs directly in front of the spine (when looking from the front) it is unlikely this will get hot with an attack from the rear, but I have seen stranger things happen.

As you can see a lot of variables can come into play here- I need a few more specifics to fully answer you question-
But as for the next questions-

2, Post surgery, when family is allowed to visit, how might they find him? Oxygen mask? Lying on his front? Things like that.
Yes family would be allowed to visit even in ICU- the hospital I work at visiting hours are 24/7 but at the medical staff discretion. Meaning if I think the pt needs you to leave- you will leave.

Even with back surgery- most surgical approaches are from the front- meaning his insicion will be on his side or on his belly. He woud probably have oxygen on what type again depends on how badly he was injured and how much blood he lost and again where he was injured. He would have at least 2 IVs in with IV pumps at the head of the bed, he would most likely be on a monitor to monitor his vital signs (leads on his chest attaxched to a monitor above the head of his bed) An oxygen mask or nasal prongs or if he is ventalated an ETT down his throat. He would most likely have a naso-gastric tube in his nose as well if this is right after surgery.- he would also have a urinary catheter in place to collect urine- that bag would be hanging near the foot of the bed- also he could have (if chest tubes are placed for a lung injury) tubes inserted in his chest and containers on the floor collecting that fluid. a various amount of different drains could be sticking out depending on the internal damage and what they needed to do to repair it. again I would need details.

How long would they be likely to keep him in the hospital? It is a private hospital, if that's important.
#4, What therapy would be required, if any?

Depends on the injury- those details again- I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a private hospital-

Do you mean physical therapy? again it would depend on the type of injury and ho0w long he is incapacitated.

there's a little food for thought for ya-

Chellerbelle

Registered
Reaction score
It sure is a lot of food for thought! Thank you very much :D

Upon further reflection (and going over my fight scene again), I think it would be just the one strike in the upper back, to the hilt and on the right side.

Sorry, by private hospital I meant one that was funded by a company, as opposed to a public hospital which are funded by the government. I know that in public hospitals they like to move people out quickly due to crowding and bed availability. I don't know if the same applies to private hospitals.