No response from Smashwords

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
Has anyone gotten a response recently out of Smashwords?

I had a question about formatting endnotes for an OOP book I've turned into an ebook, wrote Smashwords about it and got a quick response from Mark Coker with a suggestion. That was about 2 months ago.

Now I've run into a new problem that their style guide doesn't cover and have sent emails both to his personal address and through the SW contact form. No response, and it's been weeks.

I noticed when I uploaded my file that I was number 1000 and some in the queue, so wondered if they are now so busy they don't have time to respond to queries. And I don't know what to do. The meatgrinder is supposed to notice my toc and not make its own. The epub file is fine, but the mobi file has an extra one. Would rather not upload my mobi file with two tables of contents (though both do work). And if I delete my toc, all the other formats will be missing one.

Reaction score
Try emailing again? Mark is usually pretty good about getting replies out. Maybe he missed the first letter. "Weeks" sounds unusually long to wait.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Stephanie, this might sound kind of insane, but I saw it on a blog... uh... sometime this week? I'm kind of fried at the moment.

Anyway, do any of your TOC links have anything but alphanumeric characters? Curly quotes, dashes, slashes, etc. The person I'm thinking of/blanking on had luck getting her TOCs to work on all formats by taking out everything that wasn't a number or a letter.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
Anyway, do any of your TOC links have anything but alphanumeric characters?

The TOC does work. The problem is that--only in the mobi file--SW's Meatgrinder made an extra one. It is supposed to recognize when a toc is already present and not do this. And in the epub file it did--that file has only my own toc. But the mobi file has two. And both of them work.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
I finally did get an answer, plus Mark sent my email to his tech guy who fixed the bug in meatgrinder that was creating an extra TOC. I think Kevin is right, they are overloaded--my last upload started at over #3000 in the queue.

Anyway, I got approved for the premium catalog, got my ISBN, and am just waiting til I'm in the iBookstore and all the others. Very happy to get all that out of the way. Now on to marketing.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
That's good to hear.

I uploaded last night, around 11pm GMT, and I was #3400. Right now, almost 18 hours later, I am at #811. That means they are getting through nearly 150 books an hour. It's going much faster than I thought, and might even be ready before the Kindle version (uploaded a few minutes beforehand).

It's short - 4000 words - and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Is that a factor? Is the relative cleanliness of the document a factor?

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
It's short - 4000 words - and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Is that a factor? Is the relative cleanliness of the document a factor?

Your timing sounds about the same as for my 300-page book. The original SW documentation assumes that the coversion happens as soon as you upload and says you only have to wait a few minutes. So I assume the actual process is rapid. And Mark mentioned in his email to me that they're backed up. So I tend to doubt either factor you mention makes a difference.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
Yeah. I've noticed signs of server overload, myself, in using them. I think they've grown faster than anticipated. They'll probably catch up, though.