• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Stuck in the mud...what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all.
So I haven't written in months. I hated my story. Hated my characters. Was generally miserable writing it, miserable to the point where I had written only three and a half chapters in a year.
I decided to start over. Now I have new characters, a new world, and a similar plot. But I have a new problem. The words won't come. My mind is a total blank. Its been like this for weeks now, and I don't know what to do.
This is my first real novel, and I'm getting exceedingly frustrated.
Help?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to be harsh, but truly the only way to write a novel is to write it.

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is that I'm stuck. Bad writer's block. Any cures?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
There's a writer's block forum on this site. You could check it out and see if the folks over there have any advice you could use. Maybe you could even ask a moderator to move this over there.

Edit: DL beat me to it. With a helpful link and everything.

My opinion is that writer's block only exists if you believe it does.

Last edited:

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
I can't put a single word down. Usually the words just pop into my head and then I write them down. Now? Zilch. What should I do?

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Read more books. If that doesn't get you writing again, then nothing will.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
Set a timer for 10 minutes. Write without stopping about anything, even if it's just about the room you're in, a picture on the wall, the racket the neighbors are making...anything. Timed writings might break your block. Then see if your novel flows any better.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi km

Your story sounds *very* familiar. Over a period of about 12 years I tried 3 times to write a novel, and in each case I started of with all optimism possible, and before a few months had passed I ground to a complete halt. Maybe more like a few weeks. YET - I (even I!) have arrived at the point where I am able to write the first draft of a story all the way to the end. I sum up my reccomendations in 3 steps or elements: goal statement, title & minimum.

State your goal simply and explicitly. For example 'My goal is to complete the first draft of my story so that the narrative is free of skipped events' This should be one sentence, and it should be in very neutral terms. For example, I was completely unable to proceed on a revision becuase my goal was 'I want to make this 3rd party readable' (I had a draft that was full of notes like 'The Silver Fairy says something that makes Nora cry'. I wanted to revise it, but until I restated my goal to ' I want to revise this so that each sentence is in the narrative voice and is connected logically to the sentence before it and after it.' When I restated it in very clear and neutral terms I went from being anxious, discouraged and stuck to being able to rework the text such that I could show it to a beta-reader.

2) Title - choose a title before you start writing. This is your title. Forget the 'working title' business. Choose a title before you start, and keep it till you finish the version (ie first draft, revision) A title gives you focus and give your sub-conscious something to hang on to,

Step 3 - Your mininum. This must be something that you are absolutely capable of. Let it be *very low* so that you can be sure you are capable of doing it. For my story that took me from being a give-up-er to being a person who finishes stories, I did it by stopping in a park for about 10 minutes after I ate lunch and writing *something* for my story. Sometimes it was just one sentence. But I did something every time I took lunch. I was working 4 days a week, and so now even when I'm really struggling with a story, as long I'm writing at least 50 words a day, 4 days a week, I'm ok. I keep a bargain with my subconcious to give it the pen, the paper and the time, and it keeps a bargain with me to keep the story going.

hope that helps a bit.
LN

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ah - need to add this. It is so ubiquitous that I forgot to say it.

Let your first draft *suck*. The only function of the first draft it to get the idea out of your head and on to the paper. Allow it to be whatever it takes to get it written. The second you judge the worth of what you are writing, you are doing yourself a big disfavor. Write the crap, finish the draft. The revision is for making it nice.

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all.
So I haven't written in months. I hated my story. Hated my characters. Was generally miserable writing it, miserable to the point where I had written only three and a half chapters in a year.
I decided to start over. Now I have new characters, a new world, and a similar plot. But I have a new problem. The words won't come. My mind is a total blank. Its been like this for weeks now, and I don't know what to do.
Help?

Usually, when I get stuck I move on to a particular chapter or scene that I really want to write and just start writing. I know each person must find a way to deal with writer's block but I think that going back to that spot that first got you interested in telling this story might help.

I plan my work a lot. I have charts and graphics and road maps of what should happen where... I know most people just go with the flow. But they still can do that.

Just open a file or even write something on paper (sometimes I get stuck just by looking at the computer screen but when I get a pen the words just flow) and write something. Name the file "meeting at grandma's house" or whatever you wanna call it and keep writing until you are excited again.

Once you're done with the novel/ short story and you're revising you can sort out any details that changed along the way. It works every time.

mar quest

Registered
Reaction score
Kittenmay,

Do you have any idea of what brought on this writer's block?
Why do you all of the sudden hate your characters and everything else? Was it something someone say to you?
It could be that you're putting too much pressure on yourself or that you feel daunted by the task of starting all over again. The thing is writing is a process. You have to give yourself and your MS a chance to grow. If you stop because your MS isn't as perfect as you've envisioned it, then you'll never learn to improve and you'll always get stuck somewhere.

No story, scene, character... turns out exactly the way the author first conceives it in his/her head. Ever! Nobody gets it right the first time. Ever! That's why there are such things as drafts.

Anyway, one of the things I do when I'm feeling really down is read books on writing that aim at encouraging. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is quite good. Stephen King's On Writing is also a good one because it even has one of his drafts at the end, which goes to show that writing is a process and that even prolific writers like Stephen King, have to do the hard yakka.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I have had the problem where I suddenly hate the novel, hate my writing, hate my characters (Why do they keep DOING that, stupid characters) and I just want to quit.

Then I get over myself already and read what I've written, find the joy in my creation and continue on. The challenge is to not give up and let this fledgling book survive. The best feeling in the world is to finish writing a novel and knowing you stuck with it through all the pain and doubt.

As a side note, you could always kill off one of your favorite characters and throw all of them in a tizzy. Or wallow in the hate and use that emotion to fuel your writing. Make your MC hate his life too and his work and his girlfriend and his family and see what comes of it.

What you're feeling toward your book could be really rich fodder if you use those feelings to illuminate your character.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all.
Help?

Much of this may already have been said. However, I'll say it anyway to emphasize others' points. The novel you wrote 3.5 chapters for, was/is it the first novel you've tried writing? It's natural for a writer to not be satisfied with their own work. We are our worst critic, after all.

When I do Ipponmae Mai, the first kata (form) in my Iaido class (Japanese swordsmanship), which I have done many thousands of times, I see many things I have done wrong. In my mind the opponent is dead, but I could have used a smoother angle, or I used too much of the kissaki (sword tip) in the cut. Too much wasted energy and movement. Even though I may be very good at it, I have loads more to learn and improve upon. I may never think it's "sufficient" because that means I have no reason to get any better. That's a horrible way to look at things; it's never good enough because you will ALWAYS have something to learn.

So in relation to your problem, you look down on your writing and characters. No matter how great a writer you may be (Milton, maybe?) you can still learn and improve. Always and forever. Should that stop you from practicing Ipponmae Mai, knowing it won't ever be the best? Should you stop writing your novel because it won't ever be the best?

I admit, you should enjoy writing your novel. If this is your first, usually it presents some of the greatest challenges. But by the time you finish it, you've made it past the foothills and onto the mountain. If it is your first, you have entered into a new realm. There's a lot of complexity in plot and characters, voice, style, tense, point of view, and getting across what's in your head onto paper. Once you write "The End" at the end, though, a lot of that evens out and you get to a slower crawl up the mountain. All along the way you may think, "If I were stronger (read: better writer) then I'd be done by now." But everything takes time. Sometimes more time than you want.

Many people here will say that "what you write originally may very well be crap, but after you edit and polish it, it can be a shining gem." Or something. I never get that metaphor down well. If you try and start with the original novel, will ideas come again? Give that a shot. If not... then you have writer's block.

How to overcome it is different for each person and I think we have a sub-forum somewhere for it. I would recommend having an outline and a character outline in a notebook. Brainstorm possible ideas, even if they're ridiculous, dumb, or preposterous. Read some books similar to the one you want to write, then brainstorm more.

Then, the hardest part, is writing them. Force yourself to type some words, even if they're horrible or cliché: "Once upon a time, there was a prince who was deeply in love with his maid. But little known to him was that his maidservant was truly a man-- with the intention of murdering the king. The story begins with the prince sitting to lunch on a droll summer day in the courtyard..."

Later on, you can edit it and make it better. I find beginnings are the hardest to write, so mine are absolutely atrocious. Eventually, it gets easier and sometimes that takes 10,000 words, other times 500.

There are also many different ways to go about writing a novel and perhaps you just haven't found what works for you yet. The best way, in my opinion, is to write anyway and it'll come to you. If you are an established author and you're still having trouble, then I still think much of my advice stands true.

Wojciehowicz

Alien to My Own Planet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
outpostearth.onedamnballoon.com
My problem isn't writer's block. I already know my story end to end, and everything about my characters. I just have a problem putting fingers to keyboard. Partly attention problems, partly... who knows. It's like there's a forcefield repelling my fingers. It's like having to go into a ballroom full of old ladies and give a talk on male impotence to them and your grandma and her bingo club are in attendance. I simply don't want to write the words.

Sound a little familiar?

Then about 4am, I start writing and pound out 15-20 pages of something between then and 7am. I drag myself to bed, and do it again the next day.

Try sitting there until you do get typing and go until you fall over.

Status
Not open for further replies.