Best Formatting Guides?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
The Smashwords guide, while good, is not my favorite to use. Takes too long. Whenever I have to format for Smashwords, I send to someone else because I don't want the hassle.

But I like doing all my other formatting. I used other guides in the past but I really like Nadia Lee's How To Format for Nook & Kindle. She walks you through all the steps, how to convert in multiple formats, discusses OmniLit and ARe (which are underused IMO) and the file is clean and near-perfect. I formatted two projects yesterday and it took me very little time at all.

So - what other guides have you guys used? What did you like/dislike?

(And if anyone can find a better Smashwords formatter than the meatgrinder guidebook, I am all ears.)

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
I'm currently formatting my first test short, and I'm using Guido Henkel's guide. I like his because he gets into the actual HTML and CSS needed to control your formatting exactly. I've used HTML and CSS a good bit myself (though I'm no pro at it), and while it can get tedious, I like that you can use it so precisely. His guide is very comprehensive in that way.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I liked his guide, but the version I had didn't really go over what to do for things like italics, or paragraph indents, so I kept looking. Do you know if it's been updated recently?

jnfr

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jnfr.com
Italics are fairly straightforward < i >. but indents I have not yet mastered.