PDA

View Full Version : Are we missing anything?

Solivagant
04-21-2011, 04:07 AM
I have been working with my wife to self-publish a novel of hers and we are reaching the point where things will move to the next level. I am cautious by nature though and thought I would see if anyone here could point out anything we are missing.

We did not go the free route at all, so if your wondering we have spent a fair amount and did not do it all ourselves.

So far, this is the list of what we have already done, or are setup to do:

Small Press Setup:

Created a small press to act as the publisher, which I setup as an LLC for liability purposes but is ran as a sole-proprietorship.

Received a federal tax id for the business and setup a business checking account through which all transactions go through.

I already own my own business so I am used to handling tax's and general business dealing.

Book Design, Formatting and Editing:

Hired an award-winning editor and traditionally published author to edit the novel.

Commissioned a well-known fantasy concept artist for the book cover illustration.

Commissioned another artist for interior illustrations.

Hired a freelance typesetter to format the books interior.

Hired a freelance graphic designer to put the cover together.

Hired a freelance copywriter for promotional text.

Hired a local photographer for Author Photo.

Distribution:

We are setup with The Edwards Brothers Inc. for offset printing

We have gone with SPU for the distribution of our offset printed books to Indie bookstores, wholesalers, and libraries.

We are setup with TextStream for POD distribution through Baker and Taylor.

We are setup with Lightning source for POD distribution through Ingram.

We are setup with Amazon to offer the Limited edition, offset printed, hardcover for pre-orders and general sales.

Setup with creatspace, using our own ISBN, for lower cost POD trade paperback sales through Amazon.

Setup with Amazon for Kindle e-book distribution.

Setup with Smashwords for e-book distribution to Apple, Sony, and Kobo.

Setup with BN for eBook distribution.

Setup with Overdrive for library eBook distribution

Marketing:

Setup an account on all the social websites. Facebook, twitter, etc...

Setup accounts on Goodreads, librarything, and others for book info and giveaways.

Sent ARC's too many of the major and minor book reviewers.

Setup ARC giveaways on genre relevant forums, blogs, and sites.

Created a press release for distribution on standards sites such as PR and Newswire.

Setup a three-city book signing tour, which coincides with our vacation we were already taking at release time. Seattle, LA, and Vegas.

Setup Author interviews with several blogs, another author, a local newspaper, and a regional radio station.

Set to attend several upcoming genre conventions.

Created a video book trailer.

FocusOnEnergy
04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Looks like you have been very thorough, and your post looks like an ideal template for a checklist for self-publishers.

Focus

leigh78
04-21-2011, 06:18 AM
This is the type of stuff that I would like to see in this forum, and less of the trade publishing vs. self publishing bickering that offers zero help to those who want to self publish. Self publishing is a business - it is more than writing. I wish those who know how to operate a business would be putting out discussions for newbie self publishers so they can learn how to do it correctly - should self publishing be their chosen path.

Solivagant: You look like you have an excellent set-up. As you already own a business, you understand how to operate a business. Good luck to you and your wife on your journey.

KevinMcLaughlin
04-21-2011, 07:12 AM
That list completely and totally rocks. =)

This is the level of "taking it seriously" that anyone interested in self publishing should aspire to. It's also the level I'd consider someone honestly a professional small press, even though it happened to just produce the owner's book right now.

One question: why did you go through Textstream for B&T? Is that a preferential distribution for them? Thanks!

Solivagant
04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
One question: why did you go through Textstream for B&T? Is that a preferential distribution for them? Thanks!

TextStream is a subsidiary of baker and Taylor, just as Lightning source is for Ingram. Their services offered are similar, but I was really impressed with their level of customization offered. Matte Lamination, preprinted or colored end papers, and re-enforced signature pages are just a few of the options they available.

Solivagant
04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Thank you all for your positive comments. I'll be sure to post updates as things progress so I can let everyone know what has and hasn't worked for use.

It's been an interesting process to be certain, and I'm excited to keep going with it.

I've had the opportunity to examine publishing from both sides of the equation these days, as I've continued to pursue traditional publishing for my own novels. If I can ever manage to get published myself, I may have to compare the results from both my wife and my own sales to see how things compare when the die falls.

With the luck I've had, I wouldn't hold your breath for that post!

dgaughran
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Solivagent,

This is really great stuff, thanks for posting this. I look forward to hearing more.

Dave

kaitie
04-21-2011, 06:53 PM
That's amazing! It looks like you're definitely prepared. :D Good luck!

veinglory
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
You seem to have most of the bases covered. i am curious, how did you set you discount and returns? Will it support distribution to bricks-and-mortar stores?

Solivagant
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
You seem to have most of the bases covered. i am curious, how did you set you discount and returns? Will it support distribution to bricks-and-mortar stores?

When it comes to B&M we set a 55% trade discount. That has left 30% for cost and we're looking for 15% return on the retail price.

We are set for returns direct to publisher, but with them being hardcovers we've specified that unsold units be returned as is and not stripped. Each order goes out with a pre-paid label for returns. These will then go back out as remaindered stock for used book outlets at a lower discount.

veinglory
04-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Then you seem to have everything set up perfectly as far as I can see. Best of luck and let us know how it goes :)

deana
04-26-2011, 12:23 AM
DavidGaughran, I think this list should be something to what you're looking for regarding more specific information on self-publishing.

There's some stuff on this list I need to go and check out!

By the way, what's ARC? (never know unless you ask...)

Gravity
04-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Advance Readers Copy