Is Hardback Windowing Costing Too Many Paperback Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
There was an interesting, but brief, article in The Bookseller today by an English bricks-and-mortar store manager who argues that hardback windowing is hurting overall sales, and that paperbacks should be released at the same time.

He feels that the blaze of publicity tends to accompany the hardback release, and many customers are unwilling to pay the price, and that by the time the paperback release happens, they have forgotten about the book. He states that "hardbacks, or rather delayed paperbacks, are killing bookshops".

He further argues that the release of the e-book at the same time as the hardback further confuses customers about why the paperback isn't available too, and is forcing customers online, and away from booksellers.

In the comments, one bookseller makes the point that the paperback release date is often unknown when the hardback is released, which customers are not happy about.

There was some pushback in another article in Teleread, where the writer argued that publishers have no choice, as they need the extra profit from the hardback, and no-one would buy the hardback if everything was released together. Although he does acknowledge that most hardbacks don't sell out their print runs then end up on discount tables, which does nothing for writers or publishers.

My personal opinion, is that the bookseller is right, that the superfans would buy the hardback anyway (and probably an e-book too), and that giving the customer as much choice as possible is the best way to maximise sales. Also, with the healthy margins for the larger publishers in e-books, there isn't as much logic in protecting the hardback sales anymore, not at the cost of overall sales.

The original article from The Bookseller is here. And the response is here.

What do you think? Is hardback windowing costing too many paperback sales? Should it be scrapped?

Dave

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I feel that for many genres the day of hard back is drawing to an end.

Some genres do well in hard back, other's not so good, and many books are never released in hardback.

I know that I, as a reader, would like to be given a choice, and that I don't generally like hardbacks as they are heavy and awkward to hold with one hand. I prefer to wait for paperbacks, although I will buy a HB book if I really want it.

Although, I can see the logic that the HB makes more for the writer, and I suppose for the publisher too.

BUT, I know that I've never paid full price for a HB, even the new releases that I buy are almost always on half price in teh chain stores, so a HB is costing the same as a PB.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
BUT, I know that I've never paid full price for a HB, even the new releases that I buy are almost always on half price in teh chain stores, so a HB is costing the same as a PB.

That's a very good point. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, and I spend too much on books as it is. So, for me at least, when I absolutely have to buy a hardback, it tends to be from a supermarket or somewhere else I can get it cheaply. Which again undercuts the logic for hardbacks in the first place (bigger profit for publisher, better royalties for writer).

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hardbacks in my bit of publishing (children's books) are only for our really big sellers - most bookshops just won't take them apart from blockbusters, even for picture books.

My feeling is if you chucked in the ebook with the hardback you might be able to charge a few bob more for the bundle.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I know Cory Doctorow did that with his latest. Are there any (small/big) publishers doing the same?

(I think it's a great idea, but they might be too worried about piracy, unfortunately)

I'm trying to persuade the people here that it'd work. I don't see the piracy angle, though? I mean, if it's out in ebook at all, it's pirated.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
I'm trying to persuade the people here that it'd work. I don't see the piracy angle, though? I mean, if it's out in ebook at all, it's pirated.

I totally agree. I guess what I'm saying is some publishers might worry that the purchaser of the hardback would just give the "code" (or whatever you use to package the e-book with the hardback) to someone else, costing them a sale. And that free e-book could be cracked and.... you know the rest. I don't agree with it, I'm just wondering why they haven't done it yet.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I know Cory Doctorow did that with his latest. Are there any (small/big) publishers doing the same?

(I think it's a great idea, but they might be too worried about piracy, unfortunately)

Baen has been doing that for years. Tor (where Cory publishes) obviously isn't opposed but they don't do it routinely.

The big publishers have some very smart people who have tons of data to look at, and they're all working this problem. You'll see a lot of experimenting to see what works in the field as opposed to looking good on paper or in the lab. Have you ever seen the same title released with two or three different covers, all at the same time? That's what was going on.

The wild variable is always the reader. And no two books are really, truly, equal.

Last edited:

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
It's an interesting idea. I don't really know many people who buy hardcover novels.

I don't - I've bought three non-discount-rack hardcover novel in the past year, and one was as a gift. I buy a lot of books, but hardcovers to me are a) a waste of money and b) bulkier, heavier, and therefore less convenient to transport and store.

Status
Not open for further replies.