Procedure for Using Humor Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestseller

Registered
Reaction score
Doing a humor book and searching the internet for jokes, oneliners and funny articles about life. Besides writing for permission, what is the rule of thumb when you want to use someone's work? I don't have the work accepted by a publisher yet, so I can't offer any monetary compensation. Please give suggestions on what you think I should do. Thanks.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very cautious about what you use from the Internet. VERY.

Many sites post work without giving authors credit (or even notice -- bloody pirates!) and it can be quite difficult to track down the origin of material.

That said, the best you can do is write for permission, explain your project and how you intend to use the material you want permission to reprint. After that, the ball is in the author's court. I don't know what the monetary rule of thumb for things like this is. From an authorial standpoint, I know I have sold reprints of my work to magazine markets for anywhere from 30% to 90% of the original sale price. I would be unlikely to offer my work for free.

Barb

bestseller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Barb. I'm trying to be careful to use only those that the author is contacted directly. I have a publisher interested so far, but no commitment yet, and perhaps once they do, they will be willing to offer compensation for the articles.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you have a publisher interested. You can always sound out the writers whose work you want to use, let them know you have a publisher interested in the work and find out what it will take for the writer to allow you to use a reprint. It may mean that some works will be financially unfeasible to include, but at least you will know from the start. Plus, you will have a better idea of what you will need from the publisher when you negotiate terms.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
can I put my two cents in..

Everything you see on the internet was written by someone. Someone, of their own mind, wrote and developed the humor you receive in emails, newgroups and the such. Rarely is the work credited to the author. Often, it is credited to someone else.

I was sittting at my desk reading email one day when I opened a note from a friend of mine. As has been his habit for many years, he sends out a daily list of jokes to a large group of people. That particular day, he sent an article out that looked familiar. It wasn't until the third sentence that I realized whathe had sent was an article from my first book.

The real problem was that the article was credited to a website.

My friend was embarrassed. The website was embarrassed, as they claimed to have received the article from a contributor who claimed the she wrote it.

At first I was flattered that people liked the article enough to send it around. THink how nice it would have been if the hundred or so people had been given the opportunity to see the rest of my work while sending my publisher and me our rightful pay.

Just a naked thought from the Palatial futon.... Allen

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, Allen. Had the same thing happen with the Thanksgiving column I wrote a few years back for my local women's magazine. It wound up all over the Internet, and a friend did indeed email me my own work with no attribution. It is very frustrating.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
batyler65 said:
I know exactly what you mean, Allen. Had the same thing happen with the Thanksgiving column I wrote a few years back for my local women's magazine. It wound up all over the Internet, and a friend did indeed email me my own work with no attribution. It is very frustrating.

Jeepers Barb! I said I was sorry!

:)

bestseller

Registered
Reaction score
batyler65 said:
You can always sound out the writers whose work you want to use, let them know you have a publisher interested in the work and find out what it will take for the writer to allow you to use a reprint. It may mean that some works will be financially unfeasible to include, but at least you will know from the start. QUOTE]

Thanks, All,
That's one of the reasons why I want to be very careful, especially since I wouldn't want that to happen to me. I started thinking twice before sending my family stuff because they have a habit of sending things in group emails that I intended just for family.

By the way, what I'm looking for is squeaky, clean comedy, articles, jokes, or oneliners that reflect around life, work, home, marriage, kids, etc. and if any of you want to share yours with me and let me know what it would take for you to allow me to use a reprint, I could take it before the publisher as well. I think that's a good idea, batyler65.

Let me know what you guys think.

Status
Not open for further replies.