Agents willing to represent only subsidiary rights

mlouisalocke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mlouisalocke.com
Hi,

I am not sure if this has been covered yet, if so, please direct me to the thread. I have a successful self-published historical mystery, Maids of Misfortune: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, that I really don't have any desire to get published through a traditional US publisher. I have sold over 11,000 copies of the book in the past year, mostly on Kindle, and I don't want to give up the rights I have over this book, or the sequel I am now writing.

However, it is clear to me that where I could use help, and would be willing to give up some of my royalties, is in subsidiary rights, including but not exclusive to foreign rights. What I haven't been able to find is an agent who would be willing just to represent me in that area.

So, I am asking if anyone has a recommendation of agents who would consider this approach, or a method of finding such agents without going through an extensive query process.

Thanks,

M. Louisa Locke

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I can't think of any agents who specifically handle only foreign rights who are open to queries (many of them work with other agents as co-agents), but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It'll just take some deeper research on your part.

But beyond that, your genre might be a factor in whether or not you find one willing to represent you. Big foreign sellers are generally fantasy, YA, and contemporary novels from major names. I don't know if foreign markets would be very interested in a Victorian mystery, which will make finding an agent to rep it very difficult.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure if this has been covered yet, if so, please direct me to the thread. I have a successful self-published historical mystery, Maids of Misfortune: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, that I really don't have any desire to get published through a traditional US publisher. I have sold over 11,000 copies of the book in the past year, mostly on Kindle, and I don't want to give up the rights I have over this book, or the sequel I am now writing.

However, it is clear to me that where I could use help, and would be willing to give up some of my royalties, is in subsidiary rights, including but not exclusive to foreign rights. What I haven't been able to find is an agent who would be willing just to represent me in that area.

So, I am asking if anyone has a recommendation of agents who would consider this approach, or a method of finding such agents without going through an extensive query process.

Thanks,

M. Louisa Locke

I would encourage me to do what I did...I went to the various agent sites (agent query, etc) and looked searched on foreign rights. Query them (along with the sales figures) and I'm sure you'll find someone.

My husband's agent ended up selling the US rights but that was never the intention when we started - she's sold his books to Czech Republic, Russia, France, Germany, Spain all but one are five-figure deal so we've made more than six figures on these sub rights only.