Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
....nothing sucks worse than having 6 critique partners, 2 published authors, an agency reader, and an agent all combing over your book and saying it's ready to rock and roll - and then getting a rejection from an editor that says "I don't get it."

*massive headdesk moment*

I'm no stranger to rejection, and I'm pretty indifferent to it now, but once and a while, someone will throw something out there that makes me go, "What?"

GEEZO. Sometimes the road to publication blows.

Just had to rant. You may return to your regularly scheduled writing time now.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, only an editor can say yes, only an editor knows what he wants, and how he wants it.

Fortunately, not all editors think alike, and the next one may get it just fine.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of fish in the sea. Hang in there!!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If 10 editors say the same thing, then you've got a problem. You can't let one get you down.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
It's that old monster Subjectivity rearing one of its many heads. If so many other readers get the book, there's an editor out there who will as well.

Then you just have to worry about whether marketing and sales will get it. These are the really scary guys. ;)

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
We've had other editors just say no thanks and we're waiting on a few others. It's just when you get one random rejection that just makes no sense and you think, "Really? That reason is what you're going with?"

Ah well. Onward and upward. :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
We've had other editors just say no thanks and we're waiting on a few others. It's just when you get one random rejection that just makes no sense and you think, "Really? That reason is what you're going with?"

They don't have to give you any reason, let alone the real reason. No is no, and trying to read anything into it is just a waste of time and energy. Saying "I don't get it" could mean any number of things or nothing. Unless it came with some specific feedback, it's just another no.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Outside of truly horrible writing and storytelling, this is actually why many manuscripts get rejected, and it's probably the best reason to reject a manuscript.

As I said, outside of horrible writing and horrible storytelling, "No, thanks" very often means "I don't get it."

It has great meaning, and when an editor says this, he's giving you a valid reason for rejection, and one you need to consider, especially since other editors have said no thanks.

The Resurrectionist

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
One editor who "doesn't get it" = one editor who "doesn't get it".

If that's the only person who doesn't, so far, it just needs a try with another editor.
Though, like someone upthread said, 10 editors who "don't get it" probably does mean a problem....if it's that "bad", though, wouldn't someone give more specific feedback along the way?

(Thinking of the Peanuts cartoon where Snoopy gets a rejection letter saying, "We are returning your stupid story....please don't send us any more. Please, please, please." Snoopy's response: "I LOVE to make them beg...") :D

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
AG, you know that part where they say, "This is a highly subjective business"? They mean it. If you hear the same feedback from three editors, then yes, that's something to consider. But "no thanks" means "no thanks," and there's absolutely no reason to translate that into anything other than..."no thanks." It might not be their cup of cappuccino, it might not fit their list, there's all kinds of reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that they "don't get it." In fact, odds are that's not what they mean at all.

This is just a really tough market right now, and sometimes they say something just to say something.

You know, I had people pass because: "I like the story but not the main character." "I like the main character but not the supporting characters." "I like the writing but not the story." "I like the story, but not the writing." I had some houses where the book went up the food chain and ultimately they still passed.

Finally, though, someone offered instead of passed, and things have gone well for me. I got on some "best of" 2010 lists, I sold another book, I have a really nice UK deal and an audio deal. And I only mention this because I get really really tired of certain people on this board making blanket statements that contradict my own (and many others') direct experiences—just because they passed did not mean that my book was bad, or unsellable. It just meant that they weren't going to buy it.

And you know what else? I got published, people bought my book and read it. And there's still plenty of people who hated my book. Hate, hate, hatey McHated it.

Hang in there.

Last edited:

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
AG, you know that part where they say, "This is a highly subjective business"? They mean it. If you hear the same feedback from three editors, then yes, that's something to consider. But "no thanks" means "no thanks," and there's absolutely no reason to translate that into anything other than..."no thanks." It might not be their cup of cappuccino, it might not fit their list, there's all kinds of reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that they "don't get it." In fact, odds are that's not what they mean at all.

This is just a really tough market right now, and sometimes they say something just to say something.

You know, I had people pass because: "I like the story but not the main character." "I like the main character but not the supporting characters." "I like the writing but not the story." "I like the story, but not the writing." I had some houses where the book went up the food chain and ultimately they still passed.

Finally, though, someone offered instead of passed, and things have gone well for me. I got on some "best of" 2010 lists, I sold another book, I have a really nice UK deal and an audio deal. And I only mention this because I get really really tired of certain people on this board making blanket statements that contradict my own (and many others') direct experiences—just because they passed did not mean that my book was bad, or unsellable. It just meant that they weren't going to buy it.

And you know what else? I got published, people bought my book and read it. And there's still plenty of people who hated my book. Hate, hate, hatey McHated it.

Hang in there.

Best. Two. Sentences. Ever.

And I mean that in the most complimentary way. Thanks for the laugh and for speaking the truth, Lisa!

Status
Not open for further replies.