PDA

View Full Version : RIP Elisabeth Sladen

eyeblink
04-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Sad news - Elisabeth Sladen, from Dr Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures, has passed away. She was only 63.

I just rewatched "Planet of the Spiders" (which I watched on first broadcast in 1974), which features both her and Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart), who passed away recently too.

Alessandra Kelley
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
What? No! How? But --

Excuse me. I have to go have a good cry over a truly generous soul. I've been a Doctor Who fan for almost thirty years ...

Anne Lyle
04-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm gutted. My memories of Doctor Who as a fan (rather than a kid hiding behind the sofa!) begin with Jon Pertwee and Elizabeth Sladen, so it was lovely to see her still going strong (and so pretty still!) even as recently as "The End of Time" last year - and now she's gone.

Shara
04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
This is very sad news indeed.

Because her Dr Who character had the same name as me (and when I was a kid that was a big deaL) she was always my favourite character.

Sheryl Nantus
04-20-2011, 12:48 AM
OMG... I'm floored.

I loved her in the original Dr. Who eps and also in her own show.

*weeps*

I'm going to have to break it to my hubby when he gets home. It's going to be a sad, sad evening here...

:(

DavidZahir
04-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Oh no. Damn.

absitinvidia
04-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Sad news indeed.

dpaterso
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Well, bugger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674

-Derek

Calla Lily
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
:(

dragonjax
04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Damn.

Sage
04-20-2011, 04:07 AM
So sad :(

Kathleen42
04-20-2011, 04:18 AM
I still just can't believe it. :(

Grrarrgh
04-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Sad news :(

Bmwhtly
04-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Very Sad. :(

Sarah Jane in that blue dress from Ark in Space was one of the most formative images of my teens.

Diana Hignutt
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
My first Dr. Who companion (and the best). Goodbye, Sarah Jane...

blacbird
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
The most famous and beloved of all the "companions". I way sad.

AlexPiper
04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I just rewatched "Planet of the Spiders" (which I watched on first broadcast in 1974), which features both her and Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart), who passed away recently too.

I was so glad that Nick Courtney was able to make one final appearance in one of the new franchise's episodes (albeit in a Sarah Jane Adventures episode), especially alongside Elisabeth Sladen. I mean, the two reprised their roles even in the UNIT miniseries, as well as in countless of the audio dramas... they were, unquestionably, the Doctor's most faithful -- and recurrent -- companions.

And off the set, both were reportedly some of the warmest, friendliest people you could hope to act opposite. Sladen was apparently very encouraging to all the young actors and actresses who she worked with, while Courtney always without fail had time for the fans (and was, in fact, the president of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society).

They're both going to be fiercely missed by both fans, and colleagues.

Alessandra Kelley
04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
From everything I've heard, Elisabeth Sladen was one of the sweetest, most generous people you could care to meet. She treated fans very well, and always seemed grateful for their admiration. I remember seeing her in an interview, and the interviewer was trying to provoke her about how limited Sarah Jane Smith was in the old Doctor Who, compared to how much more the companions can do today, and all she did was express pleasure that the new actors got to do so much. She always seemed to remember people who wrote her.

I'll be honest. Jon Pertwee was my favorite Doctor, back when I was young enough to think I needed a favorite, but I didn't much care for Sarah Jane. It was Elisabeth Sladen herself, and the new incarnation of Sarah Jane, that warmed me to her.

Bmwhtly
04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
With the excellent Nicholas Courtney sadly passed on, I'll have to re-cast a role in my imagined screenplay. Possibly with Paul Darrow, but even he couldn't live up to Brigadier Sir Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.